The Student Room Group

Pregnant at ECT year

Hi all,

I’m very confused and still in shock so please be kind.

I’ve started my first teaching job at a secondary school and I’m doing my ECT year. Yesterday night, me and my partner found out in pregnant (unexpected but leaning towards keeping)

However, as an ECT im on a 12 month fixed contract subject to extension if I complete my ECT. My question is what is going to happen now? Can they fire me? Can I get maternity? Can I hope to stay past my ECT?

Dual income is a big factor for us so I’m thinking how it will work out
Whilst I can’t find the direct answer to your question, I found this, “The induction period is automatically extended when an ECT’s absences per year of induction (or equivalent for part-time teachers) total 30 days or more with the exception of statutory maternity leave, statutory paternity leave, shared parental leave, statutory adoption leave, or parental bereavement leave. In these circumstances the ECT may decide whether their induction should be extended (or further extended) to reflect the number of days absent for this purpose.” To me this implies that maternity leave MAY be acceptable, but I feel like you need to discuss this with a professional!

Congratulations by the way! Whether you decide to keep the baby or not, I wish you the best in your career and as a possible parent! :smile:
Original post by Katie lows
Hi all,

I’ve started my first teaching job at a secondary school and I’m doing my ECT year. Yesterday night, me and my partner found out in pregnant (unexpected but leaning towards keeping)

However, as an ECT im on a 12 month fixed contract subject to extension if I complete my ECT. My question is what is going to happen now? Can they fire me? Can I get maternity? Can I hope to stay past my ECT?

You can interrupt your ECT year, and complete it elsewhere, if need be.

Unfortunately, you probably won't get more than statutory maternity pay- you usually need 41 weeks of continuous service to qualify for advanced maternity pay, which I don't think you will hit now?

They can't fire you before your contract is up because you're pregnant. Obviously if you punch a child or something, they can still fire you.

It's possible they may still extend your contract, what subject do you teach?
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You can interrupt your ECT year, and complete it elsewhere, if need be.

Unfortunately, you probably won't get more than statutory maternity pay- you usually need 41 weeks of continuous service to qualify for advanced maternity pay, which I don't think you will hit now?

They can't fire you before your contract is up because you're pregnant. Obviously if you punch a child or something, they can still fire you.

It's possible they may still extend your contract, what subject do you teach?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That’s what I figured, since statuary maternity isn’t great after 6 weeks, I would want to return is September (baby is due end of May)

I teach R.E, so I hope they extend the contract if I’m back in September
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That’s what I figured, since statuary maternity isn’t great after 6 weeks, I would want to return is September (baby is due end of May)

Congratulations :smile:

I would wait to tell the school until you are past the 12 week stage ...

If you could get back before the end of the summer term you'd be paid over the holiday.
Hi,

If you're planning to go back in September, I'd do as advised below and try to go back for the last week of term or similar. This means you'd get full pay over the summer holiday.

When you tell them, I'd discuss the possibility of extending your contract there and then- at least then you know!
Original post by Muttley79
Congratulations :smile:

I would wait to tell the school until you are past the 12 week stage ...

If you could get back before the end of the summer term you'd be paid over the holiday.
Reply 6
Hi all,

Can I just ask what the outcome for you was of you don't mind me asking?

Thank you
Reply 7
Union rep can help you. Oh, and congratulations!!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SE179
Union rep can help you. Oh, and congratulations!!!

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending