The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sadly not so great for me so far. I have found the college organisation to be not so slick and the material so far is very very basic.

That said - it is the first week as you say and I hope for better things. They will need to be if I'm going to use this as a stepping stone to University :confused:
Reply 2
Tell us more, what kind of course is it?

For us this week (2 1/2 days) has been about getting to know the group, talking about our expectations and ambitions etc. The college seems very much geared to the adult pathway and way of learning. Class of about 20, I think it may go down by 1/2, but their are other access pathways.

Course-wise we havn't covered anything other than a hand out showing what's covered in each unit; Cell Biology, Physiology, Chemsitry. I imagine straight into that on wed.

What subjects you doing, ambitions??
Reply 3
Access for Health. Aim is to move onto a Physio degree next year. I need to give it chance but first impressions count and some of the basic numeracy and literacy tests are just that - basic!

Once I get into more detail on Human Biology and Health Care stuff I'm sure it will get more rigorous and I'll be busy complaining how tough it all is.

Good luck with yours. What is your longer term ambition?
Reply 4
Sounds similar to mine. Quite a few want to do Physio, and a student from the previous yr came in, who is now studying at Physio at Salford. It has been stressed to us already the importance of work shadowing and research into the career. I'm the only person looking at Dietetics. Whats the class size like, more than 15?
Reply 5
Hey Chris! S'meee!!
There's four others on our Science access course now that want to do dietetics...hmmmmm , not good, cos they'll all be applying to the same place as me and numbers of places have gone down apparently.

The course is really good so far! I did AS Biol last year and have found that a great help otherwise I might be a bit stumped with some things.

Good luck to other access students!!
Reply 6
We have easily 20+ in the group, closer to 30 probably.

When you say work shadowing? Do you mean placement experience? Or more than that?

I know it's going to be tough getting a place but I guess the student you refer to at Salford is a good advert for the Access system and what can be achieved.
Reply 7
Hi Ruth!

I just mean a day shadowing the proffesion or spending a period of work experience. More than that is obv better but evidence of a days visit should be sufficient. Perhaps you've already done this? She said as long as you put real effort into the course and overall application, their is no reason why you won't be in contention and I think she had 3 offers. Their are lots of advantages to being a mature student. I remember the past student saying she had a group interview for Physio at Salford. The other person went onto to do Chemistry at Manchester University, dont ask me why! Also, apparantly you can only pass or fail the Access course. However some universities will ask what percentage the pass was at and this is also reflective of the reference given by our tutors. So we've been encouraged not to just think of it as a pass and fail.
Reply 8
So far so good for my course (Access to business studies) but then again I've only had two days so far! Mostly just introduction to the units etc etc..

My fast-track A-level is going well.. Really gone in at the deep end which I like lol. I've designed a work time table which if i stick to i can manage it all!

Although my tutor wants to put more units on the access course so the course will be out of 116 credits opposed to 72! Looks like I'm not going to have a social life anymore lol!
Hiya, First week has been all good, for the days we were in last week it was all getting to know each other, course content, exploring the facilities.
All the Access students were together, this should change as we are all following different pathways so i expect to be in a much smaller group tomorrow. We have talked through the course content and it looks great! lots to do on several subjets.
Reply 10
hey manchester girl, where you studying, what subject? Is MANCAT your nearest coll. Gd Luck x
No not at MANCAT, When i looking for access courses i didn't even know they did them, I'm at Trafford doing Social Sciences, where are you? and good luck also!
My first week was pretty good. Despite most of the class being younger than me (most are in their early 20's), I didn't feel excluded. It probably helps that I got into a stupid contest of drawing ever less funny things on a bit of paper and pointing them at my mate. "Smells of poo" ->

Worst thing about it really is that 90% of the people on my course are female, so talking about their boyfriends and how hot the new guy is can get a bit :rolleyes:

I can't complain though, they've made room for me, and I really appreciate it :smile:

Work-wise, it's been easy peasy so far, because it's mostly just introductory stuff. I expect that to ramp up this week, but I don't really mind. Now I've sorta cleared my calendar in preparation for all the work I tend to have nothing to do outside college :redface:
Reply 13
Thanks for that Cloder. I have arranged for a one week placement in a Physio department and I hope that stands me in good stead. It's encouraging to see your comments regarding past students.
1st week has gone good for me except for the college messing up my enrolment, been thre a week & half and still not enroled yet!
Hey everyone,

My first week has gone well so far, I can feel there's going to be an onslaught of homework though fairly soon!! We've been note taking at rapid speeds and looking at slides etc. We haven't really done a "get to know eachother" session but as we have all been thrown in the mix we're just doing that ourselves!

I'm with a nice bunch of people of varying age ranges and our tutors have some good field trips planned throughout the year, one of which will be a weekend at Hadrians Wall :biggrin: !!
Reply 16
Hi All

Well Ive just finished my second week of access and have just started a gcse & its all going well so far!

Im at college Tues - Fri and the gcse is Thurs eve so I almost feel like I live there!

Luckily theres not gonna be much homework for the gcse so I can spend more time on my access subjects which are - Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Computing and Study Skills.:juggle:

Everyone on the course is friendly so its all good at the mo.:smile:
Reply 17
Is it a Science subject / degree your hoping to go onto study.
Reply 18
cloder
Is it a Science subject / degree your hoping to go onto study.

Yep. Ive changed my mind a thousand times about what exactly I want to do so Im just keeping my options open at the mo!
For us access students: How are you all getting on with UCAS? have your tutors put as much emphasis on it as mine have?
Its been the main topic of conversation for all the classes in the first week or so, we've practically done the whole process, which for some was a shock, as most people thought we'd get a little more time to think about our choices!

So i was just wondering how everyone is getting along with that aspect of there course...?

Latest

Trending

Trending