The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh yeah, and you can see photos taken here:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/etonpics/

If you wanna see a picture of me, click on 'lads' then scroll to one with everyone in suits. I'm third person in from the left with black suit and purple tie. (There are probably other pictures of me but I havnt really looked)
Reply 41
fionah
Sure but there's only so much a motivated student can do in an environment that doesn't entirely encourage them to thrive. (ie. a state school).

I mean, I was at a state school and all my class sizes were 30, whereas in the private school nearby they were about 15 to a class. This means a lot more 1-1 tuition and a lot more time for individual needs. Also, if the teacher is under less stress, they will work better.

Also I guess there is more pressure on private school students to do well both by the school and the parents due to the money involved. I know that if my parents were spending £10,000+ a year for my education I wouldn't want to let them down!

Not to mention the fact that most of the best private schools have entrance exams so they can be selective about who they take in, state schools don't have that option really so there are a lot of students with learning difficulties / just less intelligent , there.

There were 30 to a class in my private school, and it was quite good. Its clearly not all about class size.
Reply 42
Lord Huntroyde
That reminds me a lot of my school, bar obviously points 1,3 and 11. Shame some people want to shut it down...

As soon as I read the description of the previous posters independent school I thought 'Ah, won't be long until Lord H. says it's just like his school' Bless you - you didn't let me down.
P.
Reply 43
Unregistered
As soon as I read the description of the previous posters independent school I thought 'Ah, won't be long until Lord H. says it's just like his school' Bless you - you didn't let me down.
P.

Is it not brilliant that a school like that can be free and run by the state? There are 164 left, and they are a dying breed.
Reply 44
Lord Huntroyde
Is it not brilliant that a school like that can be free and run by the state? There are 164 left, and they are a dieing breed.

If you are referring to Grammar schools, I have to laugh at your naivety.
Reply 45
Lord Huntroyde
Is it not brilliant that a school like that can be free and run by the state? There are 164 left, and they are a dieing breed.

I thought they might have taught you how to spell "dying".
Reply 46
Tek
Remeber the following:

Teachers at state schools often have to teach a class of 30 or more pupils, of completely varying intelligence. There may be 10 people who'll be lucky to scrape an E at GCSE, 4 or so who're aiming for a C or a D and who do want to work, 12 complete troublemakers who don't care for education and 4 Oxbridge candidates. The teacher will have limited resources, face numerous bullying and other discipline problems and can't refer to a 'blackboard' because it's racist.

There is another teacher who takes a private school class. Everyone in her class of 15 wants to work; everyone is of roughly the same ability. It doesn't take her 20 minutes to calm the class down each day. She doesn't have to send people out for flicking ink. In fact, she could probably just give the students the text book and they'd still get As and A*s.

Now you tell me who's the better teacher.

I totally agree apart from the 'blackboard' being racist. Where on earth did u get that from?
Reply 47
Bigcnee
If you are referring to Grammar schools, I have to laugh at your naivety.

A school which:

1. A higher calibre of teacher is attracted through academically and behaviourally better pupils.

2. Entrance exams mean that only the academically-able get in.

3. There is an intellectual atmosphere and ethos, produced by a mixture of the teachers and the people who go there. Academic success will impress everyone in the school.

4. There is rigorous academic setting even within an already small ability range.

5. The many extra-curricular activities and sports which are available keep morale up, and complement the academic side.

6. School uniforms, school traditions, and history (my school is 450 years old next year!) keep up a good school spirit and school loyalty.

7. High-quality buildings and a pretty site engender pride in the school.

8. There is a diverse range of backgounds; rich and poor which enrich the school.
Reply 48
Lord Huntroyde
A school which:

1. A higher calibre of teacher is attracted through academically and behaviourally better pupils.

2. Entrance exams mean that only the academically-able get in.

3. There is an intellectual atmosphere and ethos, produced by a mixture of the teachers and the people who go there. Academic success will impress everyone in the school.

4. There is rigorous academic setting even within an already small ability range.

5. The many extra-curricular activities and sports which are available keep morale up, and complement the academic side.

6. School uniforms, school traditions, and history (my school is 450 years old next year!) keep up a good school spirit and school loyalty.

7. High-quality buildings and a pretty site engender pride in the school.

8. There is a diverse range of backgounds; rich and poor which enrich the school.

What a load of pompous bulls***. Take a step into the real world little boy.
Reply 49
Bigcnee
What a load of pompous bulls***. Take a step into the real world little boy.

Sorry, could you just point out which bits are incorrect, please.
Reply 50
Lord Huntroyde
Sorry, could you just point out which bits are incorrect, please.

The fact that you sound like the brochure! Actually I bet you copied it from a brochure! Hahaha.

Seriously, this could be the advertisement (most of it) for any schools. The fact that you are so taken in by this brainwashing rhetoric is an sad indictment on you.
Reply 51
Bigcnee
The fact that you sound like the brochure! Actually I bet you copied it from a brochure! Hahaha.

Seriously, this could be the advertisement (most of it) for any schools. The fact that you are so taken in by this brainwashing rhetoric is an sad indictment on you.

Any school?!
Reply 52
Lord Huntroyde
Any school?!

Of course. Schools will try to sell themselves.
Reply 53
Bigcnee
Of course. Schools will try to sell themselves.

But that is true of my school. The same cannot be said for the Burnley comprehensives. My school is like that, that is my opinion of it.
Reply 54
Lord Huntroyde
But that is true of my school. The same cannot be said for the Burnley comprehensives. My school is like that, that is my opinion of it.

You actually quoted your schools website/prospectus? :frown:
The same cannot be said of our Grammars.

I think you need to come out of your rural cocoon.
Reply 55
Bigcnee
You actually quoted your schools website/prospectus? :frown:
The same cannot be said of our Grammars.

I think you need to come out of your rural cocoon.

No I did not. Kent grammars are notorious, but they still perform as well as comprehensives. In my area the three grammars are very, very far ahead in the league tables. I think Kent is as much a rurla cocoon as one of the former industrial capitals of the world (Burnley).
Reply 56
Lord Huntroyde
No I did not. Kent grammars are notorious, but they still perform as well as comprehensives. In my area the three grammars are very, very far ahead in the league tables. I think Kent is as much a rurla cocoon as one of the former industrial capitals of the world (Burnley).

I'm not sure that you know Kent!!! (Re: Medway, Thanet).
Kent has the most Grammar schools, and thus there are not many Comprehensives, but the Comprehensives get better results for the top 25%.
Reply 57
Bigcnee
I'm not sure that you know Kent!!! (Re: Medway, Thanet).
Kent has the most Grammar schools, and thus there are not many Comprehensives, but the Comprehensives get better results for the top 25%.

OFSTED have made no criticisms of the selective system used in Kent.
Reply 58
The sad facts about grammar schools:
The pupils who go to them are a product of parents who are trying to capture some misguided illusion of grandeur through their children. These parents will scrimp and scrape putting their children through small private schools (not very expensive ones) with the promise of 'getting them through the 11+'. They then go back to the free state system of selective education. When did you ever see an upper class child go into grammar school? No, they continue to reap the benefits of public/independent system because lowley grammars are not good enough for them.
Now the child who, through cramming either in private primary or extra-curricular queuing at the dooor of the local tutor (usually a teacher trying to make a few extra quid) has managed to get a chair at a desk in said grammar. They are fed with propaganda telling them how privileged they are to be there and that they are the 'cream of society'. Consequently, they consider that they are better than their peers and strive to prove it on forums such as this.
It's a load of cobblers - the most able pupils are at non-selective schools. Day by day, they prove that despite everything negative they can still achieve as much, if not more that their grammar counterparts. One final observation that backs up my thesis - have you noticed how when people who went to grammars talk about their old schools they alway preface it with 'when I was at my grammar school'. They have some strange compulsion to add it this word 'grammar' as though it bestows them with some 'better than anybody else' prestige. B....cks!
Reply 59
Lord Huntroyde
OFSTED have made no criticisms of the selective system used in Kent.

Erm....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/education/2079162.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/education/2666605.stm

Latest

Trending

Trending