The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people hate Emos?

Scroll to see replies

Emo is just a fashion sense. Same if someone wanted to wear ugg boots, short skirt, tights etc. I get used to this site in Durham so Emos would actually make a change tbh.
Reply 41
thecaterpillar
Emos don't hate themselves. THAT is the problem. They think they hate themselves and their lives, but they don't. They think they are depressed, or anorexic, because they skipped breakfast this morning, or because they cut themselves so that everyone would see how depressed they are.

If anything, emos love themselves. They love publicising their 'hatred' of themselves, they love saying 'you just hate me because you don't understand me!!'

at the end of the day, if someone believes something or thinks it strongly enough, they feel they are right. take religion for example :p:
Reply 42
MichaelG
Okay so it may well be 'childish'...but how is that wrong, morally or socially? :s-smilie:

I meant it's wrong as in the 'wrong' course of action.

'fail' would be the appropriate word really for being an adult emo/grunger/wigger/goth/insert teenage subculture name here/.
Reply 43
strawberrywine_
It has nothing to do with hating themselves, you don't turn "emo" because you hate yourself, by which I mean "emos" that adhere to the stereotypical ideals, like the skinny jeans, the eyeliner, the **** music, everything that they think will make them an "emo", whoare rather sad in all honesty. I don’t really have a problem with emos, or the scene, but nevertheless, they are not "emo" as "new romantic" was originally intended to be. It has become a fad, a trend, a fashion statement and in so doing it has laid itself to rest, since these are exactly what "emo" was originally formed to counter. I just have a problem with people attempting to change themselves for the most current scene.

Can't believe I replied so seriously to an emo thread. :emo:

nooo i'm not saying people who hate themselves suddenly become emos, you've missed the point of what i was saying.. i see it as one big escapism thing, and some individuals (depending on their personal situation) may find comfort or support in adhering to, well anything really, whether its being an 'emo' or playing computer games, or playing lots of sport or reading, or whatever!
Reply 44
Erik.
I meant it's wrong as in the 'wrong' course of action.

'fail' would be the appropriate word really for being an adult emo/grunger/wigger/goth/insert teenage subculture name here/.

yeah i do agree with you, it is a bit sad if adults still adhere to something like that...

im more interested as to why the individual still acts in that way!
strawberrywine_
There's seriously not. Skin tight jeans + BMTH t-shirt + nike dunks doesn't equal fit :no:

Their hair is pretty fit though, so long as it doesn't go over the top with covering one of their eyes xD :yep:

o_O I'm wearing a BMTH t-shirt in my profile pic. but then again i'm a girl, so i guess that doesnt apply to me =]
ice_dragoness274
Their hair is pretty fit though, so long as it doesn't go over the top with covering one of their eyes xD :yep:

Not keen.

ice_dragoness274
o_O I'm wearing a BMTH t-shirt in my profile pic. but then again i'm a girl, so i guess that doesnt apply to me =]

Not keen.

Ergh, I guess I just really don't like stereotypical emos.
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/emo_choices.jpg

nah joking, im not really sure why people hate them :s:
i was once told my music taste was emo
she was ugly though so had no pov
Reply 49
Lithium
I'm neutral when it comes to this, but I have a question. It seems to be that you're referring to the chavs in a stereotypical fashion in your post where you're allegedly arguing against showing prejudice against a group of people.

I didn't mean to come across that way I do know some chavs who are nice but I was trying to say how I see people have a more genuine reason for hating the chavs who are anti-social and act like jerks compared to emos.
at the end of the day people will always dislike people who are different and do not conform to 'normal' behaviour (normal behaviour being what >75% of people do), some situations it is sensible to not encourage or like a certain type of people, whereas some people exacerbate the hate that is on them, e.g. chavs drinking a lot and doing petty violence, emos though are just a fashion statement (like punks) they do not go out to change society, i really dont understand why so much emo-hate is around, no one makes you socialize with them
Reply 51
Yuffie

THIS IS WHY WE HATE EMOS

Why does this make you hate emos? She's just a girl pissed off because people sterotype and make fun of the emo subculture. She's got a right to be pissed off her whining can't be that bad.
Reply 52
TheBrightShadow
at the end of the day people will always dislike people who are different and do not conform to 'normal' behaviour (normal behaviour being what >75% of people do), some situations it is sensible to not encourage or like a certain type of people, whereas some people exacerbate the hate that is on them, e.g. chavs drinking a lot and doing petty violence, emos though are just a fashion statement (like punks) they do not go out to change society, i really dont understand why so much emo-hate is around, no one makes you socialize with them

I think what infuriates a lot of people is that emos or whatever other subculture think they're not conforming but are in fact all just conforming to something different, then they don't see the irony in calling other people sheep or whatever.
Reply 53
vidachick
Emo's are just happy to be depressed and it's that kind of mentality that I hate. We should be grateful to be alive because it can so easily be taken away from us.

Woah the second part of that is sooooo emo :p:
Reply 54
iGurpreet
Why does this make you hate emos? She's just a girl pissed off because people sterotype and make fun of the emo subculture. She's got a right to be pissed off her whining can't be that bad.

she looks about 18, she needs to grow up and stop trying to put a silly little label on herself trying to conform to some societal clique, acting like a child.

at her age you should be aspiring to be a grown-up.

that's part of it.
TheBrightShadow

Emos have had an impact on the world by making it cool to 'cut', be 'depressed', have an 'eating disorder', etc. Thus, people who actually have these problems feel they can't seek help because they are branded attention seekers, because everyone else is 'depressed', others don't realise that some people really do need help.

That's why I don't like emos. The fashion sense I don't care about, its this irritating attention-whoring.
Reply 56
I wouldn't say i hate emos, i know about two who are nice enough people, but their general subuculture annoys me. It's the falseness about it, the way they pretend to be unique whilst subscsribing to what millions of others do in exactly the same way, the way in which their false belief that they are hated by everyone leads them to adopt an attitude of bleakness and to treat you pretty badly if you attempt to make conversation, its the way in which they subscribe to this idea that they're deep by liking (it has to be said) bad art, literature and generic music.

The emos i know are good people, but the paradoxical and attention seeking nature of their subculture annoys me in a way others do not.
Erik.
I think what infuriates a lot of people is that emos or whatever other subculture think they're not conforming but are in fact all just conforming to something different, then they don't see the irony in calling other people sheep or whatever.

i guess every generation goes through some sort of this, fashion has just more niches now than ever before, so more to hate
sorry i just have to post this, i love these guys
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9onvD6CkCvc
:p:
thecaterpillar
Emos have had an impact on the world by making it cool to 'cut', be 'depressed', have an 'eating disorder', etc. Thus, people who actually have these problems feel they can't seek help because they are branded attention seekers, because everyone else is 'depressed', others don't realise that some people really do need help.

That's why I don't like emos. The fashion sense I don't care about, its this irritating attention-whoring.

to be honest i hate that aswell :biggrin:
I don't hate emos... :nah:

In fact, I'd rather meet a group of emos down a dark alley than a group of chavs. Although members in both groups, may be carrying knives; the emos are more likely to stab themselves :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending