The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well when india can have nuclear power as well as pakistan and china why cannot iran have nuclear power
Reply 2
I don't think anyone should have nuclear weapons, at all.
Reply 3
m145
well when india can have nuclear power as well as pakistan and china why cannot iran have nuclear power

Because those 3 are reasonably trustworthy countries...Iran is not :eyeball:

"MUN representative for the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan" Says yes to nukes for Iran...I can't help but feel worried?!
Reply 4
m145

Because it will destabilize the whole region resulting in an arms race by all the other middle eastern countries. You will then have a nuclear Jordan, a nuclear Syria... This would inevitably lead to a devastating conflict. Iran should not be allowed nuclear weapons at any cost.
No in the sense that no-one should.

Yes in the sense that it impractical to disarm them and who says that we are right apart from us. They have as much right to nuclear weapons as Britain or Pakistan.
A.Trivedi

"MUN representative for the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan" Says yes to nukes for Iran...I can't help but feel worried?!

Why is iran deemed 'untrustworthy'?
Reply 7
I don't believe any state should hold in its possession such weapons. But suffice to say, many do and many continue to develop them. I don't see why a particular state therefore isn't allowed all of a sudden, its unlikely any state would ever use it anyway. The whole concept of nuclear weapons is a paradox. However they are there to act as some kind of psychological deterrent rather than an offensive tool.

People will have their views, opinions and comments to the contrary though in regards to Iran - fuelled by some kind of belief that Iran would deploy such weapons to "wipe Israel off the map". However the ill-informed will remain ignorant enough to believe media tails. Anyone who has taken an interest to the Iranian President and actually read what he has said will realise he wouldn't launch a radioactive weapon of death into a country that borders Palestine; much alone risk the wrath of the international community.
Reply 8
Really we should all be slowly moving towards disarmament. (Second pillar of the NPT). I do beleve they have the right to nuclear technology for peaceful uses (power). Although it is interesting to note that India, Pakistan and Israel all possess nuclear weapons while not being official Nuclear Weapon States, yet receive very little grief for this.
Reply 9
No One Should!!
Reply 10
carboncopy
Because it will destabilize the whole region resulting in an arms race by all the other middle eastern countries. You will then have a nuclear Jordan, a nuclear Syria... This would inevitably lead to a devastating conflict. Iran should not be allowed nuclear weapons at any cost.

If anything it will stabilise the region, Iran is a middle east super power and with nuclear capabilities it would bring security.

Many countries in the ME are allies of Iran, if anything Iran having nukes will stop their search for the weapons.

The ME countries don't feel safe with pakistan having the weapons and saudi developing them.

Israel has destablisied the region, if Iran had nuclear capabilities, then Israel would be a little more moderate in it's foreign policies.
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Why is iran deemed 'untrustworthy'?

Or more importantly why is Israel considered trustworthy.
Or Pakistan for that matter.
I personally don't think the Iranian leadership is responsible enough with these weapons. I know not all nuclear states right now are responsible, but why do we need another irresponsible one?
HESA
If anything it will stabilise the region, Iran is a middle east super power and with nuclear capabilities it would bring security.

Many countries in the ME are allies of Iran, if anything Iran having nukes will stop their search for the weapons.

The ME countries don't feel safe with pakistan having the weapons and saudi developing them.

I do see your point, but with agressive ICBM tests by Iran late last year, the notion that stability will come as a result of Iran achieving nuclear status is pretty flawed. As it stands Israel is the domiant country in the region, which although this causes huge resentment by other ME countries, it is safer than 2 rival countries with nuclear weapons.

It really is not worth the risk letting Iran have nukes, since that would only increase the chances of a nuclear disaster in the region. There is only room for one nuclear power in the ME and thats Israel, since 'its' nukes are sponsored by the US.
Reply 14
iran should become nuclear power because it will stablize middle east that is israel will not attack palestine.Like india is hassitating in attacking pakistan
Reply 15
Meus
I don't believe any state should hold in its possession such weapons. But suffice to say, many do and many continue to develop them. I don't see why a particular state therefore isn't allowed all of a sudden, its unlikely any state would ever use it anyway. The whole concept of nuclear weapons is a paradox. However they are there to act as some kind of psychological deterrent rather than an offensive tool.

People will have their views, opinions and comments to the contrary though in regards to Iran - fuelled by some kind of belief that Iran would deploy such weapons to "wipe Israel off the map". However the ill-informed will remain ignorant enough to believe media tails. Anyone who has taken an interest to the Iranian President and actually read what he has said will realise he wouldn't launch a radioactive weapon of death into a country that borders Palestine; much alone risk the wrath of the international community.

People think that being an islamic republic is a bad thing, in fact if the whole world was one big islamic republic, i would garantee you there would be no wars. Even if Ahmadinejad wanted to "wipe israel off the map" which he doesn't (there is no such phrase in persian, the phrase is actually "zionism will vaish from the pages of time" and even that was in regards to peace) The supreme leader would do no such thing.
Reply 16
m145

Iran signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty and it is bound by it.

I won't even entertain suggestions of the merits of Iran having nuclear weapons - they are irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact that it would be illegal for them to do so.
Reply 17
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
He's not even the big cheese in the country

Yes, I know
Reply 18
L i b
Iran signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty and it is bound by it.

I won't even entertain suggestions of the merits of Iran having nuclear weapons - they are irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact that it would be illegal for them to do so.

this treaty was signed by pakistan and india too.yet they are nuclear powers
Reply 19
A.Trivedi

that would be the same india and pakistan who have been at a constant brink of war with each other since partition!!

To the OP- i'm not sure
theres something to be said for having another nuclear power in the region to counteract israels dominance and frankly i even pretty much trust President Ahmadinejad but i'm not sure the country will remain politically stable enough for it to be safe in the long term :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending