The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Ashkenazi Jews the most intelligent ethnic group?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
maths-enthusiast
The only 'state' where they are the majority isn't successful without foreign aid. What does that tell you?

Jews are certainly the majority in Israel. But Ashkenazi Jews definitely aren't. I'm not talking about religion here, but a specific ethnic group. There's no need to group together a whole collection of ethnic groups under the banner of "Jew".
Ashkenazi are still the largest ethnic group
Reply 62
So? To the best of my knowledge they're also the largest ethnic group in New York City... means nothing.
Reply 63
I'm sure Jewish mothers have as much to do with it as IQ. :smile:
Reply 64
And, let me add, Israeli Ashkenazi Jews are a minority of Ashkenazi Jews. There are far more Ashkenazi Jews on the East Coast of America than all of Israel.
Reply 65
maths-enthusiast
Never knew that.

I am not sure more than 1/5 of world's talented mathematicians, if we can tally all of them up, are Chinese/Koreans.

I wasn't talking about the world's top academics though, I meant at a lower level than that.
Reply 66
rupertj
I wasn't talking about the world's top academics though, I meant at a lower level than that.

I'm sure there's some truth to that. I once read that, in the US, Asians and Jews represent just 5% of the population but completely dominate the top Ivy Leagues, Harvard for example being almost half Asian and Jewish. What here constitutes Asian I'm not sure. Generally in the US Asian refers to East Asian ("Oriental" here in the UK) but in official studies that seems to also include South Asians and certain Middle Eastern groups.
Haven;t read the whole thread but just wanted to say, the Jews have always relied on others to help them. They needed Britain with the Balfour dec. for the creation of Israel, and the Americans saved their ass in the Yom Kippur war (they would lost if Nixon hadn't bailed them out). They would have nothing if not for the predominantly WASPish countries of the USA and Britain.
Reply 68
This is a hilarious thread. If the OP asked whether black people were less intelligent people would start trying to come up with evolutionary reasons for them being less intelligent rather than social reasons for differences in achievement.
Reply 69
ypo
Try these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

In the US anyway, several ethnic groups (among them Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Ashkenazi Jews) are overwhelmingly wealthy, very educated and extremely overrepresented in top acadaemia. However, whilst the majority of Indians and successful Chinese and Koreans came over as very educated individuals to fill top technical jobs, the majority of Jews (fleeing pogroms in Eastern Europe) immigrated to America overwhelmingly poor and uneducated and were by no means the most succcessful and accomplished individuals in their original communities. Yet Jews in America are overrepresented in seemingly every academic field in much higher ratios than any of the other "successful" ethnic groups. How would you explain that?

This doesn't necessarily mean that it's the ethnicitiy which makes certain groups more intelligent. You see this sort of thing all the time, if your parents are academic, then there's a much higher chance that you will be too, as they'll teach you their values and work ethics. It also means that they're much more likely to the have the means to provide you with a better education either through private schooling, or at home, or both. Think about the families which are high achievers, and the families which aren't. There's a bit of movement due to the education system etc. but in general fmailies tend to stay roughly within the same sort of levels. It's not their ethnicity, it's just the way the system works (unfortunately).

ypo
It also seems to me that Ashkenazi Jews are the most successful ethnic group both academically and financially in every country they seem to inhabit. I know that's certainly true in the US and UK. In case you're wondering, I'm a Tamil-American (parents both from Sri Lanka) but I live in a predominantly Jewish neighbourhood (and most of my friends are Jewish :wink: ).

Again, could be for social/cultural reasons.

ypo
Wouldn't it make sense for an overwhelmingly wealthy, successfull and highly intelligent group to also be highly overrepresented in politics?

Yes, but it doesn't mean that there's an international Jewish conspiracy to overtake the world. Being Jewish doesn't automatically make you a member of a secret political lcub with questionable agendas :tongue:

The idea that just because Jews are in power means that they are taking over the world holds just about as much logic as the thoery that all brown haired men want to rule the world.

Thanks for the links :smile: I'll have a look at them now
Reply 70
she
This is a hilarious thread. If the OP asked whether black people were less intelligent people would start trying to come up with evolutionary reasons for them being less intelligent rather than social reasons for differences in achievement.

Black people aren't dumb, they are underachieving, and that's only because a large proportion of them live in deprived areas of cities, and the world in general, where schools aren't as good and it's uncool to study, and (in the case of some areas) drug dealing is an easier employment opportunity.
Reply 71
rupertj
Black people aren't dumb, they are underachieving, and that's only because a large proportion of them live in deprived areas of cities, and the world in general, where schools aren't as good and it's uncool to study, and (in the case of some areas) drug dealing is an easier employment opportunity.

I didn't say black people are dumb.

I said that if this thread were about black people and intelligence you'd get ***** trying to use evolutionary reasons for the case being true.
Reply 72
Bubbles*de*Milo
Haven;t read the whole thread but just wanted to say, the Jews have always relied on others to help them. They needed Britain with the Balfour dec. for the creation of Israel, and the Americans saved their ass in the Yom Kippur war (they would lost if Nixon hadn't bailed them out). They would have nothing if not for the predominantly WASPish countries of the USA and Britain.

This doesn't show us anything. Not only is your answer extremely flawed, it's also almost completely irrelevant. How does this address the question of Ashkenazi's intelligence?
afua12
This doesn't show us anything. Not only is your answer extremely flawed, it's also almost completely irrelevant. How does this address the question of Ashkenazi's intelligence?

Flawed how? And no idea; Ashkenazi maybe intelligent but they're clearly not the incredible super brains they're made out to be. They've traditionally (and still do) rely heavily on others. If they that intelligent, they'd be able to take care of themselves.
Reply 74
Bubbles*de*Milo
Flawed how? And no idea; Ashkenazi maybe intelligent but they're clearly not the incredible super brains they're made out to be. They've traditionally (and still do) rely heavily on others. If they that intelligent, they'd be able to take care of themselves.

Find just one country which is able to survive completely independantly.
Reply 75
afua12
Find just one country which is able to survive completely independantly.

Historically, you could certainly argue Japan. China as well. But this is going way off topic. To echoe afua12, what exactly does all this have to do with Ashkenazi intelligence, Bubbles? Do you disagree that Ashkenazi Jews are on average more intelligent than the rest of us and not think Ashkenazi Jews are extremely overrepresented in pretty much every conceivable intellectual field?
Reply 76
she
I didn't say black people are dumb.

I said that if this thread were about black people and intelligence you'd get ***** trying to use evolutionary reasons for the case being true.

I'm sorry, I misread your comment. There's no need to swear though...:frown:
Reply 77
Laith
No, clearly not.

They may have won x number of nobel prizes, but they certainly aren't that intelligent in general, I bet.

Yeah? Any evidence to back that up?
Reply 78
rupertj
I'm sorry, I misread your comment. There's no need to swear though...:frown:

I'm not swearing at you but the ***** who do the bad things :frown:
Reply 79
Laith
Are you an Ashkenazi? You seem pretty defensive. It's very controversial and probably untrue. Average IQ of 110 in a small amount of people isn't outstanding.

No, I'm not Ashkenazi. I'm Desi (ethnically/largely culturally Tamil if you must know) and very proud of it.

Sure an IQ of 110 alone is not impressive at all. But that's just the average. If we were to assume IQ follows a normal distribution or something similar (not an entirely unreasonable assumption given that pretty much every measurable continuous human characteristic follows one) then the percentage of Jews above a certain high IQ level will be much higher than for other groups. Sure would go a long way in explaining a lot of the Ashkenazi achievements...

Latest

Trending

Trending