The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

tomangegi
Would you say you actually need a job then? Is it hard to survive on student loan alone? x

How hard it is to find a job depends on the work you want to do... I'd imagine it'd be relatively easy to find a job working in the union, I found it quite difficult to find a job as a lifeguard, but got it now so it's all good. :biggrin:

I can't survive on my student loan alone, not without going into overdraft etc etc and I didn't really want to do that, so for me a job is essential. But most of the people I know don't work, not sure how they do because they spend more than me... but they manage without a job, so it really depends on who you are, how much you'll spend, and how much you want to be able to survive on.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Anyone know what the careers service are like? At other unis I looked at, they had websites devoted to helping students find part time work within the uni (bars, clubs, cafés, school visits) and also in the wider area. Does UCL Careers do this?
UCL research students usually pay for test volunteers...

But seriously, I know no one that works during term time at ucl.
Joanna May
Anyone know what the careers service are like? At other unis I looked at, they had websites devoted to helping students find part time work within the uni (bars, clubs, cafés, school visits) and also in the wider area. Does UCL Careers do this?

The union page does provide such services.
I don't know how up to date it is, but a friend managed to find work at the Royal Albert Hall through it if I recall correctly.

The UCL Careers service per se caters namely for graduate jobs / internships, and is secondly generally fairly pish at doing so.
BetterThanHeaven
The union page does provide such services.
I don't know how up to date it is, but a friend managed to find work at the Royal Albert Hall through it if I recall correctly.

The UCL Careers service per se caters namely for graduate jobs / internships, and is secondly generally fairly pish at doing so.

Thanks. I did try to have a look myself, but I think only students can access the pages. :smile:
Any Human Science students here? What do you think are the chances of getting accepted onto a masters in medical Anthropology after finishing Human Sciences? Assuming I took relevant options in the second and third years
Well when planning my budget recently, I worked out Id probably only need a 10 hour a week job, pretty much just to pay for nights out etc, the loan covers pretty much everything else.

Otherwise, just work myself silly in the summer/easter/christmas breaks!
Reply 187
I will most probably not be working during my first term at UCL, I know this is pretty obvious but I would like to point it out anyway. Work as much as you can these few months before the term begins; save all that money. When term starts, hey presto you got some extra funds.

I have calculated that my earnings will probably last me a bit less than a year (excluding accommodations costs)
La Songeuse
How hard it is to find a job depends on the work you want to do... I'd imagine it'd be relatively easy to find a job working in the union, I found it quite difficult to find a job as a lifeguard, but got it now so it's all good. :biggrin:

I can't survive on my student loan alone, not without going into overdraft etc etc and I didn't really want to do that, so for me a job is essential. But most of the people I know don't work, not sure how they do because they spend more than me... but they manage without a job, so it really depends on who you are, how much you'll spend, and how much you want to be able to survive on.

Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting a job then! Anyone know what sort of Job is best/least bad lol? Not just talking about rate of pay, but in general. I've had my fair share of very boring jobs (stuck in one now), so anything with a bit of variety would be good! What's bar work like? x
tomangegi
Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting a job then! Anyone know what sort of Job is best/least bad lol? Not just talking about rate of pay, but in general. I've had my fair share of very boring jobs (stuck in one now), so anything with a bit of variety would be good! What's bar work like? x

I used to work in a restaurant... Did some bar work as well... It was alright actually... Not so good when it was busy, but the tips were good and it was cool because I got to talk to people all the time... My girlfriend at the time used to come in and sit at the bar whilst I was working lol...
Will it make it difficult getting work if I don't have any experience in retail or bar work? I don't really want bar work actually but I know it's pretty much out the question for everywhere in London unless you have a years experience.. are supermarket jobs easy to come by?
tomangegi

I've never had a job in a bar or restaurant so I wouldn't really know what it's like, the students who work behind the union bars seem okay generally, busy at times, and I'm not quite sure what the pay is... hmmm... this link might help a little more with job descriptions...

http://www.ulu.co.uk/content/index.php?page=6293

A couple of my friends work/worked as casual technicians and events stewards, they seem to have enjoyed it, lifeguarding can be boring but reasonably well paid, although you need a valid NPLQ to do it. Receptionist work might be quite interesting as well... it all depends on what you like the idea of! :smile:
Reply 192
Hi, can a law student tell me what a typical week would be like at UCL? no. of lectures/tutorials etc? the workload and essays? I heard that UCL/KCL do mid-sessionals, but not LSE. is this true?? Would anybody know the differences between LSE/UCL in terms of teaching structure, the professors etc?? thanks!
KarenC.
Hi, can a law student tell me what a typical week would be like at UCL? no. of lectures/tutorials etc? the workload and essays? I heard that UCL/KCL do mid-sessionals, but not LSE. is this true?? Would anybody know the differences between LSE/UCL in terms of teaching structure, the professors etc?? thanks!

MONDAY: lecture 2-3 lecture 3-5
TUESDAY: lecture 9-11 lecture 2-3
WEDNESDAY: lecture 12-1 (sometimes.. it's just an empty slot that lecturers can use to go over essays etc if they wish.. it's often empty though.)
THURSDAY: lecture 11-1
FRIDAY: no lectures

then you have 4 one hour tutorials spread across two weeks, for example:
WEEK 1:
monday 10-11, thursday 1-2

WEEK 2:
thursday 10-11, friday 3-4

Don't know whether LSE do midsessionals, UCL do and I found them really useful. Lecturers, some are pretty boring, some are amazing - watch out of the amazing double act that is Penner and Chambers, Property Lecturers.
You should get an essay a term for each subjects (except for the summer term) which works out to 8 essays a year, plus one extended mini disso for public law which counts towards your final grade. A few of the property law essays have been optional though however.

Social life is amazing too, just got back from the Easter Law Ball, was absolutely immense, except I have to be up at 7 so might just not go to bed..
Reply 194
For Psychology:

If at GCSE, I have a B in maths and science, but two A's in my english.
And 3 A's at A-levels, I was just wondering if there's even any point in me applying because I dont want to waste one of my 5 choices :|
Also, is any work-experience required if i want to do Psychology?

Thanx :smile: +rep :woo:
I'd still apply. There's always a couple of choices that you waste, in my case it was Durham (liked the name). And then there's the likelihood of you getting an offer; don't write yourself off. For Psychology, work experience isn't required afaik, but someone else feel free to correct me.
menaa-x
For Psychology:

If at GCSE, I have a B in maths and science, but two A's in my english.
And 3 A's at A-levels, I was just wondering if there's even any point in me applying because I dont want to waste one of my 5 choices :|
Also, is any work-experience required if i want to do Psychology?

Thanx :smile: +rep :woo:

not sure of the particulars of your subject, but i had really average gcses but am now studying one of their most competitive courses. a level grades and personal statements are what make you shine, go for it, ucl is a great place to study, and at the end of the day, you can only accept one of your five choices, so don't worry about "waste".
quick question, can students at UCL audit classes other than they registered for?
Thanks in advance.
Reply 198
BetterThanYesterday
quick question, can students at UCL audit classes other than they registered for?
Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing you mean attend? Yes, you can, as I can't think of any buildings only certain students have access to. There is a sign in sheet, but you don't have to sign it (just to check the people who are meant to be there turn up, or at least get someone to sign them in).

Why, may I ask, are you asking?
james s
I'm guessing you mean attend? Yes, you can, as I can't think of any buildings only certain students have access to. There is a sign in sheet, but you don't have to sign it (just to check the people who are meant to be there turn up, or at least get someone to sign them in).

Why, may I ask, are you asking?

Thank you for your reply. I guess the term 'audit' is not used in the UK like in the US, right? What I meant to say was to attend class without formal registering via the Internet or PORTICO, if you please.

Why do I wish to do so? errm it's kinda complicated. To tell the truth, I want to take many options, as many options as possible indeed. Although I will be studying economics from this September, I also intend to learn French in depth. I first thought studying French as a part of my option unit. However, I guess econ-related options would obviously be more important for me in the long term, while I can still study French at the Language Centre (not sure about this option at this moment though, as I have heard negative comments about them especially in terms of teaching quality and their effectiveness). So what I am thinking was to attend the French lectures without registering, since I will not be able to do so if I take full of econ-related options. Again, any comments would be appreciated. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending