The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentnumber2
Starting to think about laptops for uni, are macs compatible with the ucl system?? I'll be studying medicine so I doubt i'll be getting any software or anything just wanna make sure i can connect to the network etc

Indeed they are.

Only thing is programs - do you know if you have to do stats on SPSS or anything?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2601
Hello, I am calling to any history or ancient history students out there who could help me out here!? I currently have an offer to study ancient history at UCL, have firmed it and hope to go :smile: I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice on whether it would be at all possible to change that ancient history to just plain old history (well it's obviously not plain old history, but I don't want to limit myself to ancient history). Anyway, I'd appreciate any sort of advice on this if you have an idea.
Original post by Hobo389
Hello, I am calling to any history or ancient history students out there who could help me out here!? I currently have an offer to study ancient history at UCL, have firmed it and hope to go :smile: I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice on whether it would be at all possible to change that ancient history to just plain old history (well it's obviously not plain old history, but I don't want to limit myself to ancient history). Anyway, I'd appreciate any sort of advice on this if you have an idea.

Best thing you can do is email the department and ask. But you'd be able to study one non-ancient course in the first year and that amount would increase over the years, by the looks of it. You also will have to do the Hist1002 course in your first year which all others in the whole department have to study. So theoretically you could be doing half-ancient, half-non-ancient in your first year. Check this link out is it explains it better than I can right now (go on 'Degree Structure'). http://www.ucl.ac.uk/history/prospective_students/prospec_undergraduates/degree_programmes/v110
Reply 2603
Original post by studentnumber2
Starting to think about laptops for uni, are macs compatible with the ucl system?? I'll be studying medicine so I doubt i'll be getting any software or anything just wanna make sure i can connect to the network etc

completely compatible. And you won't be needing any software for medicine so you're fine.
Reply 2604
Original post by Inner Poise
Best thing you can do is email the department and ask. But you'd be able to study one non-ancient course in the first year and that amount would increase over the years, by the looks of it. You also will have to do the Hist1002 course in your first year which all others in the whole department have to study. So theoretically you could be doing half-ancient, half-non-ancient in your first year. Check this link out is it explains it better than I can right now (go on 'Degree Structure'). http://www.ucl.ac.uk/history/prospective_students/prospec_undergraduates/degree_programmes/v110

Thank you very much, I am much indebted to you. I've always found that degree structure page rather uninformative and I will email them as you say to get an idea, I am just worried of missing my offer and looking like a fool :P That is very interesting that I could be doing half and half, that would not be the end of the world, I just worry that because I have to do a language then it would drag down my degree (although I have GCSE Latin, I'm not the best at the whole language thing). Anything thank you very much, I shall email the department and see if there is at all an opportunity.
@Hovgoro:

Did you receive a scholarship?
Original post by Hobo389
Thank you very much, I am much indebted to you. I've always found that degree structure page rather uninformative and I will email them as you say to get an idea, I am just worried of missing my offer and looking like a fool :P That is very interesting that I could be doing half and half, that would not be the end of the world, I just worry that because I have to do a language then it would drag down my degree (although I have GCSE Latin, I'm not the best at the whole language thing). Anything thank you very much, I shall email the department and see if there is at all an opportunity.

You're welcome, but I don't quite know what you mean about a language dragging down your degree. Do you mean you'd struggle with it? Because I'm sure they'd have courses for all abilities. Furthermore, it's only the best mark out of the four units that you do in your first year that counts towards your overall degree. And you'd only have to do it for the first year. So if you can't change, it's not the end of the world.

For 2nd and 3rd year, you only have to do one ancient history course anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rtcw
CS? Isn't that particular subject requires A*AA? If you got ABB, and predicted somewhere similar to that grades, you are screwed.

I know. The AS fails me basically. I can get that if I work hard, in A2. But there's not much now I can do about AS is there?

So what if I got AAB?
Reply 2608
Original post by MrBlueMo0n
I know. The AS fails me basically. I can get that if I work hard, in A2. But there's not much now I can do about AS is there?

So what if I got AAB?

I would be surprised if you managed to make your teachers to give you prediction of an A*AA or similar you may need to be offered a place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rtcw
I would be surprised if you managed to make your teachers to give you prediction of an A*AA or similar you may need to be offered a place.

So there's absolutely no way I'd get an offer if I applied with A*ABa (a for further maths next year)?
Reply 2610
Original post by MrBlueMo0n
So there's absolutely no way I'd get an offer if I applied with A*ABa (a for further maths next year)?

Possibly, note I said similar, A*AB is one grade less to the entrance requirement so it is very possible.
Hi there :colondollar:
I'm quite ashamed for asking, but I've to admit that I can't understand what the 3rd-year unit/module "Course Assessment" in English Q300 at UCL means. Please, can someone explain that? I've read all the Blue Books nothing there about that unit.:confused: Is it a module with teaching? What is the topic/reading list about? Thank you in advance for salvaging me from my limits…
Original post by CatyDeLuna
Hi there :colondollar:
I'm quite ashamed for asking, but I've to admit that I can't understand what the 3rd-year unit/module "Course Assessment" in English Q300 at UCL means. Please, can someone explain that? I've read all the Blue Books nothing there about that unit.:confused: Is it a module with teaching? What is the topic/reading list about? Thank you in advance for salvaging me from my limits…

Do you mean the 'Course Assessment' listed on the website here ---> http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/ubaengsing05

If yes, the people who wrote the English entry for the website seem to have got bored and just written any old thing.

Year Three consists of:

Shakespeare (compulsory)
Special Subject Essay (compulsory - like a dissertation)
Whatever modules you choose to do

As far as I know, 'Course Assessment' doesn't mean anything specifically. Hope that helps!
Hi,
I am a 2nd year EEE student, looking to take the following modules next year from physics :

PHAS2222 Quantum Physics
PHAS2224 Atomic and Molecular Physics

Any physicists that have done it, could you kindly shed some light on the complexity of the above courses please? I tried to sign up to those on moodle but unfortunately it said that these courses are not available for doing so.

Thanks!
Atomic and Molecular Physics was pretty nice and straightforward. The second year quantum course was really badly taught, if it's still taught by Tom Duke I'd avoid.
Original post by mateyface
Atomic and Molecular Physics was pretty nice and straightforward. The second year quantum course was really badly taught, if it's still taught by Tom Duke I'd avoid.

I am not sure who will teach it next year. Are there any practicals to this course or complete theory? How many hours did you put in outside the lectures to understand wagwan?

Thanks!
Reply 2616
Original post by peliqueiro
As a member u must know it. Is there only one bench press? Might be difficult to get to use it then :s-smilie:

There's only one proper dedicated bench-press bench, but there are a bunch of other frames that can be set up for bench-presses that probably work better.
I'm thinking of applying to UCL for medicine. The only thing holding me back is that London seems like an expensive and hectic place to live. I don't know whether that is a myth or not. I was wondering if a current student could give me their take on what the lifestyle is like at UCL, and is it really that expensive to live in London?

Thanks
Reply 2618
Does anyone know when UCL send us information about pre-enrolment. I remember someone saying that we should get a 'status package' around the end of June. Also, what certificates would I need to show when verifying qualifications? Just wandering if I have to start fishing around to try and find my GCSE certificates lol :biggrin:
Reply 2619
Original post by salsharifi
I'm thinking of applying to UCL for medicine. The only thing holding me back is that London seems like an expensive and hectic place to live. I don't know whether that is a myth or not. I was wondering if a current student could give me their take on what the lifestyle is like at UCL, and is it really that expensive to live in London?

Thanks

It's true, London is more expensive for some things.... Like rent for instance, costs a bit more per week than somewhere that isn't London. A pint of lager costs a bit more. But really, it's not a great deal of difference. I came to UCL from Newcastle so the rent increase was considerable but once you get in to a routine you cease to notice it. Plus, there's so much to do for free in London when you're feeling poor that a little extra on the rent can be forgiven. Most things just cost the same though, a Tesco shop in London costs the same as a Tesco shop anywhere else. Literally thousands of students from the full spectrum of financial backgrounds manage to afford to study comfortably in London, so you shouldn't use a bit of extra cost as an excuse to not study in London, i'm sure you'd regret it down the line. Plus, if you get in to a real pickle over money, UCL has tons of little pockets of money to help students out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending