The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

You'd do better to repost that question at the medicine forums : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195 the RUMS medics frequent that more.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 381
So perhaps this is a bit awkward, but could any current female UCL students tell me what the process of getting birth control is? Is it relatively easy? Does UCL have its own health services that write prescriptions or do I have to go to a separate clinic? And if you know approximately how much it costs, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Hi!

I may not be a current UCL student (yet..), but your problem sounds veeeery familiar to me...
I applied for IMB course last year - they wanted 34 pts plus 655 in HL afair. I got 36 pts and 664 HL [the funny part is that I got 4 from Polish which I suppose is not the most essential subject when applying to a UK uni]. What I did was writing an email to the admissions tutor and ask what to do. They told me to wait till the A-level results are released and then wait for the answer. Unfortunately (or fortunately for the A-Levels:d) there were too many ppl with good a-level results so I got rejected. They told me however that if I want to they will do everything to make sure i get enrolled next year so... here I am!

I think that you should try to contact your admissions tutor and explain your situation. If you're lucky, you still have a chance (i've heard of such ppl). Anyway - good luck!

cheers
Shiva17
So perhaps this is a bit awkward, but could any current female UCL students tell me what the process of getting birth control is? Is it relatively easy? Does UCL have its own health services that write prescriptions or do I have to go to a separate clinic? And if you know approximately how much it costs, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what your situation would be if you aren't British. If you get NHS healthcare while a student, you can go to a family planning clinic and they'll give you birth control for free. My GP used to prescribe it for me (and at UCL, the health centre acts as a GP afaik) but generally I find the family planning clinic more efficient. But that just might be my awful doctor, I've never used the health centre at UCL!

If you're not eligible for NHS treatment while you're here, can you not get a supply at home and bring it with you? When I moved from the UK to France, I wasn't eligible for French healthcare/it wasn't practical to try for it, and so the local family planning clinic gave me six months supply to take with me. Either that, or consider more long term contraception (the implant lasts three years, coils last quite a while too I think?).
Joanna May
I'm not sure what your situation would be if you aren't British. If you get NHS healthcare while a student, you can go to a family planning clinic and they'll give you birth control for free. My GP used to prescribe it for me (and at UCL, the health centre acts as a GP afaik) but generally I find the family planning clinic more efficient. But that just might be my awful doctor, I've never used the health centre at UCL!

If you're not eligible for NHS treatment while you're here, can you not get a supply at home and bring it with you? When I moved from the UK to France, I wasn't eligible for French healthcare/it wasn't practical to try for it, and so the local family planning clinic gave me six months supply to take with me. Either that, or consider more long term contraception (the implant lasts three years, coils last quite a while too I think?).

By "UCL Health Centre" do you mean the Gower Place Practice?
Onearmedbandit
By "UCL Health Centre" do you mean the Gower Place Practice?

I mean whatever your health centre type place is called. I'm not at UCL yet, I just came into the thread to read the latest posts and happened to see one I knew the answer to in general.
Shiva17

Thanks in advance!

Contraception through the NHS is free in the UK. So very easy. And you can get them from the GP or other clinics too.
Reply 387
Philosoraptor
Contraception through the NHS is free in the UK. So very easy. And you can get them from the GP or other clinics too.

Birth control is free? God I love Europe.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll just go to a clinic place when I get to the UK.
Joanna May
I mean whatever your health centre type place is called. I'm not at UCL yet, I just came into the thread to read the latest posts and happened to see one I knew the answer to in general.

Oh OK, I was wondering if there was another place :p:
Reply 389
Hi, I'm studying CS as of September 2009 and I've been wondering how many hours per week I'll have lectures? Of course, I've already taken a look at the CS timetable for the first term, but the CS survival guide explains that we'll "be allocated to groups and attend the classes for your group only". So, what does a typical timetable for an undergraduate CS student look like?
Reply 390
Philosoraptor

wait just a point of clarification. when you guys say "contraception" do you just mean condoms or do you mean the pill/the ring as well?

haha..i love how most people have innocent questions about time tables and grades and here I am asking about birth control....ah well...
Reply 391
Hi, I was asked to send in proof of my qualifications. As I have to send them the original do I have to enclose sth like an international reply coupon or will they send it back to me anyway? tia.

I've received the same letter about proofing my qualifications, but I'd never ever give away the original even though they say that they will return it. Send a certified copy instead. At least that's what I'll do so I don't have to worry about getting the transcripts back. The interpreter I've contacted regarding the translation doesn't even accept original documents as they would have to be enclosed (probably other interpreters don't mind :s-smilie:).
Reply 392
Is anyone here a UCL Math 2nd year student (going into 3rd). If so do you have any information about what the hell referrals are?

All I know is you do some "written" work and then take an "oral" exam. I have no idea what that actually means..
Ewan
Is anyone here a UCL Math 2nd year student (going into 3rd). If so do you have any information about what the hell referrals are?

All I know is you do some "written" work and then take an "oral" exam. I have no idea what that actually means..

It can vary but often you'll have to complete the exam you failed from home and the oral exam will be an informal interview on the module to make sure the lecturer is happy that you've a sufficient grasp of the material.
I hope you haven't failed one of Johnson's courses or you'll be in for an ass-kicking :eek3:
Reply 394
Minnesota Fats
It can vary but often you'll have to complete the exam you failed from home and the oral exam will be an informal interview on the module to make sure the lecturer is happy that you've a sufficient grasp of the material.
I hope you haven't failed one of Johnson's courses or you'll be in for an ass-kicking :eek3:

Oh, I can only imagine. Alas it is 1301 and 1402 that I failed, both of which had rather nice lecturers so I guess I'm fortunate there :top:

That sounds relatively easy though, by written work I thought they mean't some nasty "think outside the box" coursework kind of thing :confused: If I just have to redo the exam in my own time I'm guaranteed to get 100% o_O

Cheers for help :top:
Reply 395
Thanks unkreativ, that sounds good, the only problem is that I can't get certified transcripts anymore (school's already closed for the summer...) What would happen if I delayed sending them my qualifications until September?

I don't know the legal position in your country, but here in Austria not only schools are authorised to create a certified copy but also public notaries and courts are. However, IIRC you don't have to worry if you're not able to provide the transcripts until September. According to the letter you'll be provisionally registered if you fail to verify your qualifications before the beginning of the programme. "If, one month after being provisionally registered, you have still not produced acceptable evidence, your registration is liable to be cancelled." So I think you can even wait until the school opens again. Hope that helps :-D
Shiva17
wait just a point of clarification. when you guys say "contraception" do you just mean condoms or do you mean the pill/the ring as well?

haha..i love how most people have innocent questions about time tables and grades and here I am asking about birth control....ah well...

The ring? Am I being dense here, because I don't know what that is. But yes, all contraception is free on the NHS. If you qualify for NHS treatment, then you're garanteed it for free. If you don't qualify, then the health-whatever would probably still give you condoms, just not anything more.
Reply 397
I have a slight accommodation problem. Namely that my accommodation application never reached UCL (I know that you are supposed to receive an acknowledgment letter, but I e-mail the accommodation office concerning my application and they told me that I'd get more info by mid-August and therefore did not think more of it)

I visited UCL last week and was enquiring about my application and that is when I was told that they never got my application. I am a first year undergraduate currently living in Sweden. I know that it no longer matters if I actually posted my application in time or not since it never arrived to its destination.

Now my question, should I look for my own accommodation on my own or wait and hope that I actually do get a roof over my head? They told me that at worst I'd be homeless for about a month, and I have been thinking sleeping by the main building wouldn't be that bad :P

Eitherway, any suggestions over what I should actually do?
Saiming
I have a slight accommodation problem. Namely that my accommodation application never reached UCL (I know that you are supposed to receive an acknowledgment letter, but I e-mail the accommodation office concerning my application and they told me that I'd get more info by mid-August and therefore did not think more of it)

I visited UCL last week and was enquiring about my application and that is when I was told that they never got my application. I am a first year undergraduate currently living in Sweden. I know that it no longer matters if I actually posted my application in time or not since it never arrived to its destination.

Now my question, should I look for my own accommodation on my own or wait and hope that I actually do get a roof over my head? They told me that at worst I'd be homeless for about a month, and I have been thinking sleeping by the main building wouldn't be that bad :P

Eitherway, any suggestions over what I should actually do?

That sucks! I'd definitely recommend trying to find somewhere to live yourself and not chance it by just hoping that they might offer you accommodation anyway, because you'll have to wait a month+ although they might very well have places, but you'd be on a waiting list as a few students will switch halls during the first month.

Try looking on these websites:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/residences/alternative-accommodation

http://housing.london.ac.uk/cms/

The university of london site is probably going to be your best chance of finding somewhere because you can look for other students to look for housing with, and they can give you advice. :smile:
Reply 399
Joanna May
The ring? Am I being dense here, because I don't know what that is. But yes, all contraception is free on the NHS. If you qualify for NHS treatment, then you're garanteed it for free. If you don't qualify, then the health-whatever would probably still give you condoms, just not anything more.

haha, you aren't being dense.. the ring is just another form of birth control that is nice because you don't have to take it every day like the pill..just every 3 weeks..i won't go into detail as to not gross out the male members of this forum. :tongue:

i am pretty sure I qualify as I will be a full time student on a 3 year program, not just an exchange student.

i am still just completely amazed that you get birth control for free... In the U.S. it is cheaper when you get them through student health clinics but it got way more expensive in recent years (stupid bush changed the laws) so I used to have to pay like 75 dollars for a 3 month supply and that was WITH insurance....yay america i suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending