The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Would my chances of doing Law at UCL be lessened if I did a softer subject at AS Level? I'm thinking of doing English Lit, Politics, RS and AS art.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Considering what it says here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/law-llb I wouldn't have thought so.

If you are unsure, email the admissions tutor.
Does anyone doing straight Maths at UCL ever visit this thread?
If so, why did you end up picking UCL?
Was UCL your only option?
If you had had offers from LSE, Bath and Bristol as well as UCL, would you still pick UCL?

Thanks very much.
Original post by JamjamjamT
Does anyone doing straight Maths at UCL ever visit this thread?
If so, why did you end up picking UCL?
Was UCL your only option?
If you had had offers from LSE, Bath and Bristol as well as UCL, would you still pick UCL?

Thanks very much.

Hey - I'm doing Maths with Modern Languages, but that's basically the same as Straight Maths, just one different module :wink:
I also had other offers (I mention Bristol since it I see you have that as well). However, I ended up choosing UCL for different reasons.
The fact that UCL is recognised as one of the best universities worldwide had a good impact on my choice; after all, I thought it would be good for my future employability. Also, studying in London gives you tons of possibilities that other towns don't... seminars, outside lectures, but also just simply speaking everything you can think of! (I realise these arguments don't rule out LSE, but I didn't apply for that one :wink: )
Anyway... what was really important to me was the possibility to do good research in the future, and UCL has lots of lecturers who are great researchers as well and who give you the possibility to do research on your own as well, starting from second year, if you wish.
So I guess these were my reasons for choosing UCL over the other three universities from which I had received offers.

If it can help, I don't regret my choice. I find that additionally to all the factors I listed before, the general atmosphere is friendly and relaxed (I love working in the common room or around uni with other maths people), which doesn't mean it isn't challenging (actually, rather the contrary).

I guess it all depends on what you prefer, in the end, but these are my reasons for choosing (and sticking to) UCL :wink:

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate in contacting me :wink:

P.S. I didn't say so specifically, but I think it's clear from what I wrote above that yes, if I had received offers from LSE, Bath and Bristol I would still have chosen UCL :wink:
Thank you Cindy1994 :smile: :smile:
Original post by kiera28
Would my chances of doing Law at UCL be lessened if I did a softer subject at AS Level? I'm thinking of doing English Lit, Politics, RS and AS art.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would advise against both politics and RS... and perhaps also Art :') whilst UCL doesn't take a super traditional approach to law , they , like any other top law school , prefer the traditional , 'hard' subjects. it shows a better understanding of the skills required once you get into undergraduate study.

i would pick one out of politics, rs and art , or two but with the view to definitely drop one of those two. i'm not sure there's a best combo in there as i don't know what you mean exactly by 'politics' , and i'm not sure on the law faculty's view on rs/art , but i think all three seems a bit soft. politics will help you a lot first year though , and the reasoning involved in rs could be useful. art also seems really interesting!

i did spanish , english lit , history , critical thinking and psychology at AS, dropping history and critical thinking for A2 , so psychology was my 'soft' subject (so hard though)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kiera28

Posted from TSR Mobile

RS isn't soft.
Original post by Noodlzzz
RS isn't soft.

neither is it considered a hard subject either - not in terms of difficulty , i'm well aware it's very difficult , but it is not a traditional subject

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2004/aug/19/schools.alevels200410

i took psychology , considered a soft subject , and yet it was easily the hardest a level i did , despite the fact i took a language and english lit as well
Original post by hotliketea
neither is it considered a hard subject either - not in terms of difficulty , i'm well aware it's very difficult , but it is not a traditional subject

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2004/aug/19/schools.alevels200410

i took psychology , considered a soft subject , and yet it was easily the hardest a level i did , despite the fact i took a language and english lit as well

It is hard

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations

and psych isn't soft just but not hard, somewhere in-between
Are there any current Physics students here?
Reply 4370
Does anyone do course of civil engineering or economics with mathematics? If so, i need a student perspective for how to prepare for such a course. ( prepare meaning any work experience or activities that i can do that may help or will be recognized by the professors there)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ramsay or Astor

(i know we dont get to choose)
I was wondering if there's anyone I can PM regarding my mPharm application?
Original post by Ashaheen17
Ramsay or Astor

(i know we dont get to choose)

Ramsay probably has a better standard of accommodation but this is reflected in the higher rent. I would say Astor (where I'm staying) is better value for money.
Do you consider the atmosphere better in UCL that in Imperial College? if so, why? thanks :smile:
What are the Pros and Cons of studying at UCL?
Hey, I applied for Politics+East European studies and have kinda strange question: how leftist is the course? I'm currently doing a politics-related course in other UK university and one of the main reasons why I want to change is absolutely biased attitude to left-wing even in lectures (e.g. we are having readings from very biased newspapers or authors), such quality is not good to any uni imho, no matter, which side is intensively promoted (left/right). However, I heard that UCL is very leftist and wish to know how this attitude reflects in the material of studies, which is arranged by academics of of faculty? I'm especially interested in historical/political/economic backgrounds
Original post by Noodlzzz
RS isn't soft.

It is kinda soft to be honest lol. And yes I did do RS at AS. How hard you find it depends on how good your books are.
can anyone tell me anything about the history of art department?
If my GCSE result is not good 1 A 4B 3C , C in phy ,B in math but I got 3A which is ( phy , further math and math ) and a B ( in chem ) in AS , do you think I will get offer from ucl for civil engineering ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending