The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonnydowe
Just got an offer for Stats, Econ and Finance (A*AA-AAA). I got a AABC at AS.

Congrats :smile: I'm happy for you. Here's to the next quote saying you've reached it :wink2: :h:

Original post by dendaj
Hi, I'm actually considering a twin room- do people usually get paired with compatible people (via a questionnaire or otherwise), and do people have any positive/negative experiences to share? I boarded in the USA and loved having a roommate, but the situation was quite different...

Original post by smoothER
Yeah I want to know this tooooo!

In the housing form, there's a small section where you can rate yourself on how much you enjoy music, sports, cooking, travel etc and I think that's used for twin room selection. There aren't many twin rooms in comparison to single rooms.
(edited 8 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Any Economics students here?
How much essay writing is there in UCL's course? I've read that at LSE, there isn't much essay writing in Economics as it's mostly a mathematical course over there.
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Any Economics students here?
How much essay writing is there in UCL's course? I've read that at LSE, there isn't much essay writing in Economics as it's mostly a mathematical course over there.

2nd year here. Very mathematical - I have been led to believe it is more mathematical than LSE.
Original post by Coombsy
2nd year here. Very mathematical - I have been led to believe it is more mathematical than LSE.

Just what I'd hoped for! I'd avoid essay writing if I could :smile:

Also, does UCL's course contain any programming with STATA and R? Or is that more with Statistcal Science courses? I'm assuming the course has loads of Matlab in it already
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Just what I'd hoped for! I'd avoid essay writing if I could :smile:

Also, does UCL's course contain any programming with STATA and R? Or is that more with Statistcal Science courses? I'm assuming the course has loads of Matlab in it already

Stata is used for only one of seven courses in the first year and one of four courses in the second year. Even so, it is not a main part of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4985
Hi there! Anyone here had deferred their entry to UCL? Well, I deferred mine to this year and UCAS emailed me saying that UCL will contact me themselves this year, but does anybody know around when will they contact me? Would it be soon? Or is now too early to ask the question?

Hope someone will be able to quench my doubt, thanks in advance!
Hey! I deferred my offer to this year as well. Just check that portico and ucas have the 2016 date for you to start the course, that's how you know you have your space secured. Accommodation applications open this month too, just email the service desk if you have any problems.
Original post by Joz97
Hi there! Anyone here had deferred their entry to UCL? Well, I deferred mine to this year and UCAS emailed me saying that UCL will contact me themselves this year, but does anybody know around when will they contact me? Would it be soon? Or is now too early to ask the question?

Hope someone will be able to quench my doubt, thanks in advance!
Reply 4987
Original post by PsychoD
Hey! I deferred my offer to this year as well. Just check that portico and ucas have the 2016 date for you to start the course, that's how you know you have your space secured. Accommodation applications open this month too, just email the service desk if you have any problems.

Hey PsychoD! I'm guessing that you will be doing psychology then? Thank you so much for the reply and the head-up about the accommodation as well, where did you get this information? :u::u:
Yeah, I'll be studying Psychology, yourself? I rung them up to ask when accommodation opened and wanted to make sure that my place was deferred properly in August so checked UCAS and portico. Time to start looking at bursaries then:run::run:
Original post by Joz97
Hey PsychoD! I'm guessing that you will be doing psychology then? Thank you so much for the reply and the head-up about the accommodation as well, where did you get this information? :u::u:
Reply 4989
Original post by PsychoD
Yeah, I'll be studying Psychology, yourself? I rung them up to ask when accommodation opened and wanted to make sure that my place was deferred properly in August so checked UCAS and portico. Time to start looking at bursaries then:run::run:

Lucky you, I'm international so even loans are out the window, let alone bursaries :frown: Myself am doing Mechanical Engineering w/ Business Finance.
Without loans and bursaries there would be no way I could go go to uni :frown: where are you applying from? Mech eng with business seems like a good idea though since your in London with links to banks. Have you already got your grades or are you still studying?
Original post by Joz97
Lucky you, I'm international so even loans are out the window, let alone bursaries :frown: Myself am doing Mechanical Engineering w/ Business Finance.
Reply 4991
Original post by PsychoD
Without loans and bursaries there would be no way I could go go to uni :frown: where are you applying from? Mech eng with business seems like a good idea though since your in London with links to banks. Have you already got your grades or are you still studying?

I'm from Thailand, but got my grades last year from a HS in New Zealand. Suppose you can say I'm on a gap year of some sort :smile:
odd q but does anyone know what the food consists of in catered halls? do they have healthy options...
Original post by urmomschesthair
odd q but does anyone know what the food consists of in catered halls? do they have healthy options...

Ramsay/Astor has a largish salad bar (for halls). Most of the time there is usually a healthy food option.
I know you can only put one priority when you apply for accommodation, but ideally I want to get a nearby single room. Do you think that this is unlikely unless I put proximity as my priority? (I'm tempted to say single room)
I know you can only put one priority when you apply for accommodation, but ideally I want to get a nearby single room. Do you think that this is unlikely unless I put proximity as my priority? (I'm tempted to say single room)

To be honest there are a lot more single rooms than doubles as far as I know. I think I put proximity as my main priority and got a single.
Where did you end up and how have you found it? :smile:

I'm hearing rumours of frequent fire alarms in halls..

In Astor we had about 1 a week for the first term. Most after 1am...
Original post by Noodlzzz
In Astor we had about 1 a week for the first term. Most after 1am...

Do they come and look for you if you don't go outside? ..I was thinking good earplugs...
Do they come and look for you if you don't go outside? ..I was thinking good earplugs...

I really wouldn't recommend staying inside when an alarm goes off...
Original post by Noodlzzz
I really wouldn't recommend staying inside when an alarm goes off...

In case it is a real fire? Surely I would smell something.. or would you get into trouble?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending