The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

I have applied for the MSc Child Development and the MSc Developmental Psychology and Clinical Practice for the 2023/24 intake. I wanted to know if an 8.27 GPA is enough to get accepted to one of the courses? Does UCL accept only those who have 8.5+ GPAs?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I am a bit apprehensive when it comes to living in a new city like London.
1. Is commute very difficult? Is it time consuming??
2. Is the city/campus safe?
3. Could you explain a bit more about how the campus and buildings are located?
4. Rent in London is through the roof 😃 as we know. How do you/your friends manage to find cheap acomodation?
5. Would you pick a London Uni over a proper campus-based uni? If so, why?

Thank you so much in advance. Your answers will really help me out a lot!
Original post by brokenheroes
Post away, we'll be happy to help, only if you keep you pesky kids away from our chat thread :yeah:

Hello. I received an offer from UCL today. Could someone please show me the schedule🥺? My specialty is Computer Science. I will be so grateful
1. No, it's ok you will get used to it very quickly, I prefer buses ( I lived not so far so it didn't take long), but they are sometimes less reliable than tubes. Also, depending on your timetable, if you have classes every day, then it is better to buy monthly tickets with an 18+ student oyster card( also I heard Santander has some good offers relating to travel but not too sure).
2. Campus is ok it is more spread out than traditional mini-city-like campuses( but most of the time 10 min is the max walking distance between buildings). The city itself is fine, but as it is a city you should be aware of your surroundings, especially at night. Be aware of people snatching phones when you walk near the roads, on scooters, or bicycles, etc, didn't happen to me or my friends, but heard some stories.
3. As said above they are spread out, but not complicated, you can book a tour of the campus( I didn't). With the new student center, it is very fast to get to different parts. But where you are will mostly depend on your lectures and seminars.
4. didn't lol, slightly overpaid cause started looking late
5. No, cause even in this type of unis you are not guaranteed accommodation within the campus or near campus. But if uni itself is better for your degree then go for it.
Original post by Mihika:)
I am a bit apprehensive when it comes to living in a new city like London.
1. Is commute very difficult? Is it time consuming??
2. Is the city/campus safe?
3. Could you explain a bit more about how the campus and buildings are located?
4. Rent in London is through the roof 😃 as we know. How do you/your friends manage to find cheap acomodation?
5. Would you pick a London Uni over a proper campus-based uni? If so, why?

Thank you so much in advance. Your answers will really help me out a lot!
Any economics students that can give advice on 1st year optional modules? I’m particularly interested to hear about introduction to economic thinking if anyone has taken that.
Hey there, I'm Ariel, and I'll be starting my Master's in Clinical Neuroscience this September.
Moving into student housing soon and I'm stuck choosing between two options: Urbanest Kings Cross and Unitestudent Stratford, both with en-suite facilities.

Urbanest Kings Cross (£301pcm): It's just a 30-minute walk from Bloomsbury campus. While it's slightly pricier, I've heard there are free-to-use bikes available. Does anyone know if they're easily accessible?
Unitestudent Stratford (£265pcm): This one's a more budget-friendly choice. However, it's a bit farther from campus, and I'm unsure about tube fares.
I'm curious does Unitestudent Stratford still remain budget-friendly when tube fares are factored in? If any of you have stayed in these accommodations or know about transportation costs, your insights would be golden.

And here's a thought: Given the nature of the course, I'm wondering if it'll be incredibly busy. Would it really be worth investing in living closer to campus?

Thanks a bunch for your help! 🙏
Original post by Arielgys
Hey there, I'm Ariel, and I'll be starting my Master's in Clinical Neuroscience this September.
Moving into student housing soon and I'm stuck choosing between two options: Urbanest Kings Cross and Unitestudent Stratford, both with en-suite facilities.

Urbanest Kings Cross (£301pcm): It's just a 30-minute walk from Bloomsbury campus. While it's slightly pricier, I've heard there are free-to-use bikes available. Does anyone know if they're easily accessible?
Unitestudent Stratford (£265pcm): This one's a more budget-friendly choice. However, it's a bit farther from campus, and I'm unsure about tube fares.
I'm curious does Unitestudent Stratford still remain budget-friendly when tube fares are factored in? If any of you have stayed in these accommodations or know about transportation costs, your insights would be golden.

And here's a thought: Given the nature of the course, I'm wondering if it'll be incredibly busy. Would it really be worth investing in living closer to campus?

Thanks a bunch for your help! 🙏

Hey, congratulations on your course! I'm currently in my second year at UCL and I've continually lived quite close to campus.

Definitely can see why that may be hard to decide between especially because it's a really personal basis decision rather than just logical.
Urbanest King's Cross is on the expensive side - not the worst I've seen by any means for where it is, but certainly not the best either. Like you've said though, the location is pretty good and being able to walk to campus or even take a bike or scooter more easily is a massive benefit. If you're someone who would like to make use of the libraries and other campus facilities or even would like to be able to go back home and change up what you're doing throughout the day it's great. Especially as when you live further away it becomes almost a 9-5 which is not always the most convenient but works for some. Also it might be good when considering some of the social aspects and how they are often largely centred around campus so living close is great for travelling back later on.

In terms of Stratford, it's obviously a really nice area for generally things to do in London so it can be really good if you want to get more into that. If you're into having a bit of a balance between being at home and your studies it may also be good to have the physical boundary almost and separate the day. Definitely could be good for keeping fit if you wanted to make use of the bikes to get to campus, there are some that give free trips for first 20 minutes but they generally do cost - although it is considerably cheaper than the tube. The tube of course would be one of the biggest downsides because it is horrendously expensive in my view and would be around £2.80 per trip so over £5 if you were only travelling to campus and back so that could ruin the savings you make a bit.

So the deciding factors from my perspective would largely be on how you plan to travel to UCL from Stratford, how often you'd want to be on campus (are you home vs library studier, socials, and checking your course contact hours if you have a provisional timetable etc) and to an extent how you feel about the areas and facilities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending