The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
JanoBano
Ok this is pretty random. But, does anyone know an International student who got accommodation even though they applied late? I'm getting paranoid coz they say I have a 50/50 chance and that's too mysterious for my liking lol

Yeah, I did, but I didn't get anything along my preferences, so I'd still have a look for private accommodation: you might not get halls at all, or you might not like them if you do. And if you're lucky and they have a place for you somewhere nice, you could always go for halls.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 581
Oh.. okay. Right now I don't mind getting any accommodation from UCL, as long as it's not too far. And, halls meaning the intercollegiate halls? Don't they consider them anyway when looking at your housing app? Or, do I have to apply separately?
Reply 583
I want to switch courses (from V101 history to Scandy Studies & History), is there anyone who has done so and do you think it would be better to phone now or try and sort it out after term starts?
Reply 584
imomo16
I want to switch courses (from V101 history to Scandy Studies & History), is there anyone who has done so and do you think it would be better to phone now or try and sort it out after term starts?

I'd phone now if I were you.
Reply 585
JanoBano
And, halls meaning the intercollegiate halls? Don't they consider them anyway when looking at your housing app? Or, do I have to apply separately?

No, halls meaning uni accommodation in general, both UCL and intercollegiate. The furthest you can get with UCL accommodation is Camden/ Kentish Town or Victoria, don't know if that's too far for you :smile:
Reply 586
manu2009
Anyone from Schafer able to tell me if they got full freeview reception with an external aerial? Or better still, is it true that there is an aerial socket in the room?

No one able to help :frown:
manu2009
No one able to help :frown:

Nope but im wondering this aswell.
On the digitaluk site it says I can get everything in Canterbury, but its never usually acurate!
Theres not much point of me lugging the TV down if theres no signal!
Reply 588
do you really want to bring your tv when you won't really have time to watch it, you can watch iplayer and 4od without a license (not the live streams) or can just be very naughty and illegally download things, and the likelihood of you knowing someone with a tv is quite high, and there being a tv in your common room or at the pub if you want to watch sports?
How much spare time do you have as an undergraduate medical student? is it pretty much nine to five?
Regarding tv, I would say don't bother bringing one. I can't think of anyone I knew that had a tv in their room this year. You can more than get by with the online services, BBC iPlayer etc... and if not, head on over to this site... www.tvcatchup.com. You can watch Freeview channels live on that site - I only discovered it a week or so ago, it's really good. Technically, you need a licence to watch it as it's streamed live - but nobody is going to find out and I have not heard of TV licence inspectors visiting UCL halls - although that doesn't mean that they don't!
Who wants to exchange a single room at Hughes Parry for a single en-suite at College Hall?
Reply 592
Mumintroll
Regarding tv, I would say don't bother bringing one. I can't think of anyone I knew that had a tv in their room this year. You can more than get by with the online services, BBC iPlayer etc... and if not, head on over to this site... www.tvcatchup.com. You can watch Freeview channels live on that site - I only discovered it a week or so ago, it's really good. Technically, you need a licence to watch it as it's streamed live - but nobody is going to find out and I have not heard of TV licence inspectors visiting UCL halls - although that doesn't mean that they don't!

I've heard of TV Catchup though you just need a license, really don't won't to be caught out without one. I was thinking that a TV good be used as a monitor for my laptop and to play music off. Does anyone know what the desk space is like in university accommadation?
manu2009
I've heard of TV Catchup though you just need a license, really don't won't to be caught out without one. I was thinking that a TV good be used as a monitor for my laptop and to play music off. Does anyone know what the desk space is like in university accommadation?

Legally, of course you need a licence. But, TV Licensing do not monitor internet connections, so they'd have no way of knowing that you use TV Catchup or iPlayer's live feeds (unless they actually physically catch you in the act, which is extremely, extremely unlikely). But of course, I don't encourage law-breaking... and I love the BBC. But, the TV Licence is a lot on the student budget. :wink:

The desk space really varies depending on which accommodation you get. Although none of them that I've ever seen are ridiculously small, in some it would be a big squash if you had a computer, tv and still wanted room left over for writing space. Also, in some rooms, the furniture is fixed into position and the desk may not necessarily be positioned to give the greatest TV-watching angle from the bed or any other seating in the room.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 595
Mumintroll
Legally, of course you need a licence. But, TV Licensing do not monitor internet connections, so they'd have no way of knowing that you use TV Catchup or iPlayer's live feeds (unless they actually physically catch you in the act, which is extremely, extremely unlikely). But of course, I don't encourage law-breaking... and I love the BBC. But, the TV Licence is a lot on the student budget. :wink:

The desk space really varies depending on which accommodation you get. Although none of them that I've ever seen are ridiculously small, in some it would be a big squash if you had a computer, tv and still wanted room left over for writing space. Also, in some rooms, the furniture is fixed into position and the desk may not necessarily be positioned to give the greatest TV-watching angle from the bed or any other seating in the room.

Thanks for the advise, good thinking about possible not being able to move the furniture. I am going into Schafer House. Any comments on desk size there or freeview reception?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 597
Single with oyster on the bus is £1 at any time. Off peak Oyster on Tube/Overground is £1.10 per journey in zones 2-6, which is actually really good... especially for getting to and from Ikea if you live in Camden.
Reply 598
it's not that bad.
Reply 599
What do you think my chances of getting accepted into UCL are?
Im applying for a degree in 'Economics and Business with East European Studies with a Year Abroad BA 4 years'
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/ssees/social-sciences/
The requirements are 34-36 points to include Mathematics at grade 5 or 6 at higher level and my subjects are:

PHYSICS HL: predicted 5
ECON HL: predicted 7
ARABIC HL: predicted 7
MATH SL: predicted 7
ENGLISH A1: predicted 5
ITGS SL: predicted 7

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending