The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Ed.
I'm here with a GCSE C in maths, allthough admitably the competition for places wouldn't have been the same.

What course are you doing? :angel:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
SofinaaBabess
I hope so! If I get AAA/B, do you think they will still be bothered about the C in Maths?

I don't think they do interviews for Law. =/

:stomp: I did foundation Maths at gcse because it's always been my weakest subject for some strange reason. :s-smilie: But yeah, I never thought it would matter, as long as I got a C :stomp:

Sofie xoxo

they do interview for law! not every student though, i just know a few people here had interviews.
Reply 82
SofinaaBabess
What course are you doing? :angel:

Classical Archaeology + Classical Civilization. However it is essentially archaeology, and soon hopefully I'll be changing to just archaeology.
Reply 83
SofinaaBabess
I hope so! If I get AAA/B, do you think they will still be bothered about the C in Maths?

I don't think they do interviews for Law. =/

:stomp: I did foundation Maths at gcse because it's always been my weakest subject for some strange reason. :s-smilie: But yeah, I never thought it would matter, as long as I got a C :stomp:

Sofie xoxo

I was interview for Law :biggrin:

They don;t do many, generally only if you are doing law with a language, are borderline or took a couple of gap years like I did!

I didn't even know about needing a B in maths and english...its not as if we do any maths on the law course at all :mad:

If you have done a good personal statement, good A-levels and they like the sound of you then you would still have a pretty good chance, each case is different!
If any UCL economist is around, I'd like to know which one out of scheme 1 and scheme 2 (generally) is most respected by employers in IBD.
Reply 85
johnbrown
I don't want to depress you here but I'm going to be honest. My friend got rejected pretty quickly after applying to UCL and she had 3A*'s and the rest A's at GCSE and they said her GCSE's were the problem. She had 5 A's at AS 3 of which were over 90% and were mentioned in her reference. On top of that she had had extenuating circumstances during her GCSE's which were also mentioned on her reference. You might as well apply though seeing as you do get 5 choices - you never know but I just wouldn't want you to get your hopes up :frown:

I would give it a go - the pleural of anecdote is not data. By giving up , you lose 100% of the time.
Thanks, guys and dolls. :angel:
Reply 87
I love that movie. :biggrin:

Jean Simmons was adorable.
Wangers
I would give it a go - the pleural of anecdote is not data. By giving up , you lose 100% of the time.

:yep:
9mm

What movie's this? :confused:
SofinaaBabess
What movie's this? :confused:

guys and dolls:wink:
Reply 91
Yeah, oh I thought you knew about it. Nvm then :p:
johnbrown
I don't want to depress you here but I'm going to be honest. My friend got rejected pretty quickly after applying to UCL and she had 3A*'s and the rest A's at GCSE and they said her GCSE's were the problem. She had 5 A's at AS 3 of which were over 90% and were mentioned in her reference. On top of that she had had extenuating circumstances during her GCSE's which were also mentioned on her reference. You might as well apply though seeing as you do get 5 choices - you never know but I just wouldn't want you to get your hopes up :frown:

For law, or just in general? I got into UCL after applying with 3A*s, 6 As and 3Bs at GCSE, and BBBC in my As levels. I had no extenuating circumstances. I know a lot of people with very similar grades who are also at UCL and yes, some of them are doing Law.

One person getting rejected means nothing. Perhaps her PS was bad, or UCL just didn't think she was what they were looking for. It happens and it's sad, but that's no reason to spread it around like it's going to happen to everyone, since there are a LOT of people at UCL who got in despite having worse grades.
brokenheroes
guys and dolls:wink:

Haha. Oh right, I didn't know he was referring to my post, because he didn't quote me. :P

9mm

You talkin' to me? :]

BACK ON TOPIC: I still can't believe they want a B in Maths. I was telling my Mum about it, and she goes "well that serves you right, you should have worked harder at GCSE.." Err, I did! :colone:
TheOne-
Hi, i'm applying for the course: Information Management for Business. I received a letter a few weeks ago stating that "this is to acknowledge the receipt of your application and to inform you that we shall be inviting you for an interview..." Until this day, there is still no letter regarding the interview- is this usual?

A few weeks ago? Be patient... when I applied, I didn't hear a thing from UCL until March ! If you're really worried just call up the faculty and ask them.
Reply 95
I'm in the same position as theone
When I applied they took their sweet time!

October - Applied
October - Acknowledgement
December - Invitation to interview
February - Interview
February - Recommendation of offer
March - Offer
TheOne-
You seemed to have misunderstood me. I asked whether it is "usual" for UCL to have written a letter beforehand saying that you will be invited for an interview.

However, i do thank you for your response and congratulate you for getting into UCL.

Hm, well my advice would still be the same. If you're concerned, ring up the faculty and ask them. They'll know better than anyone here.
johnbrown
If you work and then on top of that want to have a social life is it possible to get a good degree? Or do you have to sacrifice something...

I think you'll find the workload is a lot less than you may think. I did a law degree and had plenty of time for lots of football, music, and general social things.
Reply 99
hey! i have a couple of questions and it'd be really great if i could get any help?
I've got an acceptance from UCL (on a gap year so have my grades) and i was wondering if there's a limit on when we have to accept? or a preferable time?
edit: been completely stupid and missed the whole accom thread so deleted my probably annoying second qu
but thanks so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending