The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I think it would depend on the type of disability. I mean, I have a physical disability (technically), but I don't really see it as a disability as there isn't anything I can't do (I just get really bad joint pain from time to time.) I don't live any differently from anyone else, I just have to pace myself sometimes and make sure I don't put too much strain on my joints. However, if it was to get worse (which it seems to be doing, albeit slowly,) and I ended up in a wheelchair/on crutches/wearing braces, then that would obviously make it quite difficult for me to help someone else who was physically disabled.

I'd never judge someone on their disability, that doesn't seem fair. If I liked them enough, there's no reason why I wouldn't date them.
I have a disability, it's mental and it's never impeded on any relationship I've had.
True love is blind and all that's so true, you can plan to marry someone and end up with someone different, but perfect for you.

In fact, if anything, my disability makes me more acute to other people's feelings, and a better person because of it.
Reply 42
mentally disabled? How to date a mentally disabled person? Would she understand what a date means?
If you were 15/16 y/o and fell for this girl big time, even meeting her parents and spent nearly a year together in what would be described as teenage romance.

Now, in a freak accident, this girl gets paralysed from the waist down.

What would you do (men)? Dump her and risk the wrath of her parents, or carry on with her knowing you will never have sex or any quality of physcial life at all as a couple?
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
If you were 15/16 y/o and fell for this girl big time, even meeting her parents and spent nearly a year together in what would be described as teenage romance.

What would you do (men)? Dump her and risk the wrath of her parents, or carry on with her knowing you will never have sex or any quality of physcial life at all as a couple?

Dump her straight away. Without a seconds thought.
Tech
sorry to hear that, I'm in a similar position and I know what you mean... it's harsh but I'm looking forward to getting to uni just to get some room to breathe and the such...

although physical disabilities are a different story... I served a girl in boots once in a wheelchair and if I'd been in a club or something and met the same girl I probably would have bought her a drink, she was the funniest/nicest/prettiest person I've ever met :smile:

Enjoy it...but don't be surprised if you get the odd attack of guilt (especially at first). When you've had the responsibility of helping care for a family member for a long time, it can take a little time to adjust and totally relax (Freshers week generally sets you on your way though :wink: :biggrin: )

For the record, I wouldn't date anyone with a significant physical disability...too many years of it already.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Would dispose of her properly.
Reply 47
I've considered this before, because the situation arose.

The girl in question has severe cerebral palsy to the point where I can't understand a lot of what she says but she is really mentally sharp and clever.

Concluded that I'm not strong enough to cope with it and there would be no physical side to the relationship. With something less physically severe then perhaps. Mental disability I could not handle.
Reply 48
All these no's are making me laugh.

People who wear glasses are visually disabled.

Oh wait - that's not a "real" disability because lots of people have it, right? lol...the way some people are so dependent on their glasses makes some other highly visual but not-very-impairing disabilities look mild by comparison.

Latest

Trending

Trending