The Student Room Group

To all of you Acting students and Central School of Speech and Dramers...

Hello! I'm currently at my last year of the IB program, just before I go to university (finally). I've applied in december for a BA acting course, and my ultimate DREAM is to be accepted at CSSD. However central hasn't sent me any offers or acknowledgments yet, so I am starting to worry.

But, I have other worries. I would like to ask you experienced people if you think that the fact that I have no professional acting experience, plus no academic drama background of any sort, will reduce my chances of being called for an audition, or even accepted :s-smilie:.

In the case I providentially get accepted, or even be given the opportunity of going to an audition, I just would reeeeally appreciate if you'd share your experiences at CSSD, if you have any. How is it there? are you enjoying? Any dodgy facts about it that a potential (hopeful) newcomer should know?

Also (i'm starting to get annoying :p: ) if you could give any audition tips, or how they are carried at central (or any other place) they would be immensely appreciated! Thank uuu :wink: !
Reply 1
I would usually elaborate on the audition process for drama school entry, specifically concerning CSSD, but I'm unfortunately committed at work (where I secretly post on TSR), so in the mean time I will guide you to this excellent article by Simon Dunmore, an established theatre director, author and drama school teacher:

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.dunmore/auditioning_for_drama_scho.htm

His advice generally applies to drama school entry (schools that are NCDT/CDS accredited), of which CSSD is applicable to. I would heavily suggest reading this to gain a better understanding of what is required of you. :smile:
Most drama school's say experience isn't essential, yada yada ya.. And you might just get into drama school with no real r experience, however you will be competing with some people who have been acting since the age of 3 or some people who have been pre-trained on a btecnational course and several other courses or some people are part of a theatre group.

Do you have a chance to get into drama school with no real experience - yes.
Will it be very competitive and hard considering the amount of people auditioning for the school - yes
Do you need to be 150% prepared, YES and YES, goodluck Mbean oh and simon dunmore as shown earlier is pretty good to start with but you should really head to samuel french
Reply 3
tobyiyan
Most drama school's say experience isn't essential, yada yada ya.. And you might just get into drama school with no real r experience, however you will be competing with some people who have been acting since the age of 3 or some people who have been pre-trained on a btecnational course and several other courses or some people are part of a theatre group.

Do you have a chance to get into drama school with no real experience - yes.
Will it be very competitive and hard considering the amount of people auditioning for the school - yes
Do you know to be 150% prepared, YES and YES, goodluck Mbean oh and simon dunmore as shown earlier is pretty good to start with but you should really head to samuel french

Thanks :smile:!! I know I probably cannot be at the same level as some of the people who have been practicing since they were 3, and probably I am young, unexperienced and perhaps too optimistic. But that wont stop me from giving my best, my 150% :smile:, right? I'll try my best and if they give me a big fat no, I'll get up ant try again. Could you tell me a bit more about samuel french?

And you? You've applied to central as well?
Reply 4
Matisse
I would usually elaborate on the audition process for drama school entry, specifically concerning CSSD, but I'm unfortunately committed at work (where I secretly post on TSR), so in the mean time I will guide you to this excellent article by Simon Dunmore, an established theatre director, author and drama school teacher:

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.dunmore/auditioning_for_drama_scho.htm

His advice generally applies to drama school entry (schools that are NCDT/CDS accredited), of which CSSD is applicable to. I would heavily suggest reading this to gain a better understanding of what is required of you. :smile:

Thank you Matisse! I've read the article, very helpful guiding lines! I saw on you profile a link to a blog with some illustrations, are those yours? Good job! Well, I hope when you have little more time, you can develop on the subject of audition processes at CSSD. Good luck with work :wink:
Reply 5
Matisse

Thank you Matisse! I've read the article, very helpful guiding lines! I saw on you profile a link to a blog with some illustrations, are those yours? Good job! Well, I hope when you have little more time, you can develop on the subject of audition processes at CSSD. Good luck with work :wink:
MBeaN
Thanks :smile:!! I know I probably cannot be at the same level as some of the people who have been practicing since they were 3, and probably I am young, unexperienced and perhaps too optimistic. But that wont stop me from giving my best, my 150% :smile:, right? I'll try my best and if they give me a big fat no, I'll get up ant try again. Could you tell me a bit more about samuel french?

And you? You've applied to central as well?

Nope, I miss the UCAS Deadline due to me being caught up in a theatre production and left things for to late:mad: , I've applied to rada/lamda this year and italia conti/e15 as my secondary options, this will be my first time applying for drama school :s-smilie:

Ontopic: Samuel French is the best Theatre bookstore you could go to get help on you're material it's near in central london, i go there probably once a month, they have a wide selection of plays classical/modern and monologue books/drama school audition books etc etc, here's their website: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=samuel+french&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
Reply 7
tobyiyan
Nope, I miss the UCAS Deadline due to me being caught up in a theatre production and left things for to late:mad: , I've applied to rada/lamda this year and italia conti/e15 as my secondary options.

Oh crap :s-smilie:! My uni application councilor is a retard, and he almost forgot to send mine! Plus I am like the 2nd student applying to english drama unies, ever in the history of school! and he didnt do his job properly and didnt care about me.. Anyways, good luck :biggrin:!! and have fun!
Reply 8
Oh and thank you for the samuel french info!

Latest