The Student Room Group

Costume or Fashion design?!

Hey I have a dilemma... I think I would like to do something fashion design related at uni, I have always loved designing clothes and wanted to be a designer since I was a child. However I don't know if fashion design is the right course for me. I really like the idea of working behind the scenes of movies and theatre - so costume design sounds great. But I also don't know if that's the right course because I like creating designs that are my personal style and costume is to fit a brief right? I am really confused about the nature of these two degrees and also the jobs that you do after them. Does anyone have any good ideas for me I want to learn how to sew well and construct, but also learn to design. My dream job would be where I get nearly 100% creative freedom, I'm not yet sure which of stage or commercial fashion is my favorite. Help pls I am confusion
Hey, reading what you've written about what you want to do, I think going for a fashion design course is the better option out of fashion and costume. I'm applying to university later this year for costume whilst I'm currently doing a level 3 extended diploma in fashion, and comparing costume courses to the fashion ones my classmates are looking at has shown me that there is quite a big difference between the two.

Fashion design will give you a good ground level with both construction and design whilst allowing you to express your own design aesthetic, meaning you can play around with different styles throughout the course, and they will also help you develop your own personal image in fashion, so for pretty much the entire course you'll have 100% creative control, as they'll be teaching you how to become your own designer. In contrast, a lot of costume courses teach you how to work with different performances, people and companies, so they'll be teaching you specific skills that are more performance based such as historical garments, millinery and fabric distressing, which you'll have to learn how do even if you wouldn't use them in your own designs, as if you went to work for somewhere like Royal Shakespeare Company, you would have to do what the production required for you. Most costume courses do let you experiment more in your final year, but as you said, a large majority of the course will be designing for a brief as it's a desirable skill in the industry, and if you go to a university with a large performance department, they'll be getting you to design and make for the productions that are happening, as well as helping you develop your skills in the practical aspects such as quick changes and organisational skills, which wouldn't be as important in commercial fashion design.

Regarding jobs you can get afterwards, you can vary a lot with both degrees, from working for a large company such as New Look or the Royal Shakespeare Company to starting your own brand or custom costume business, but it can really vary on where you think your talents are and what companies are hiring at which time. However, most costume jobs will consider you if you have a fashion degree, so if you get to the end of your course and decide you want to work in costume, you'll still have a really strong education in a relevant area. I hope this helps in some way, even with my rambling :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the quick detailed reply! I am now leaning more towards costume design because I really don't think I'd enjoy a job in commericial fashion, also the course content doesn't sound as interesting and seems to have more of an buissness rather than practical focus. I am really interested in making period peices and hats - I feel like I might enjoy it more? What universities did you look at if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by sharleenshark
Hey, reading what you've written about what you want to do, I think going for a fashion design course is the better option out of fashion and costume. I'm applying to university later this year for costume whilst I'm currently doing a level 3 extended diploma in fashion, and comparing costume courses to the fashion ones my classmates are looking at has shown me that there is quite a big difference between the two.

Fashion design will give you a good ground level with both construction and design whilst allowing you to express your own design aesthetic, meaning you can play around with different styles throughout the course, and they will also help you develop your own personal image in fashion, so for pretty much the entire course you'll have 100% creative control, as they'll be teaching you how to become your own designer. In contrast, a lot of costume courses teach you how to work with different performances, people and companies, so they'll be teaching you specific skills that are more performance based such as historical garments, millinery and fabric distressing, which you'll have to learn how do even if you wouldn't use them in your own designs, as if you went to work for somewhere like Royal Shakespeare Company, you would have to do what the production required for you. Most costume courses do let you experiment more in your final year, but as you said, a large majority of the course will be designing for a brief as it's a desirable skill in the industry, and if you go to a university with a large performance department, they'll be getting you to design and make for the productions that are happening, as well as helping you develop your skills in the practical aspects such as quick changes and organisational skills, which wouldn't be as important in commercial fashion design.

Regarding jobs you can get afterwards, you can vary a lot with both degrees, from working for a large company such as New Look or the Royal Shakespeare Company to starting your own brand or custom costume business, but it can really vary on where you think your talents are and what companies are hiring at which time. However, most costume jobs will consider you if you have a fashion degree, so if you get to the end of your course and decide you want to work in costume, you'll still have a really strong education in a relevant area. I hope this helps in some way, even with my rambling :smile:
The universities I'm looking at are Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Rose Bruford College, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Bristol Old Vic Theatre School and Liverpool Insititute, so they're all acting schools that give you a lot of experience in working in theatre as well as the costume aspects. I've also heard that Nottingham Trent does an excellent costume course, the only reason I'm not looking at that one is the lack of practical experience that the theatre schools give. But pretty much all costume courses do a lot of period costume work, so you'll be able to learn a lot about that no matter where you choose to go :smile:
Original post by Lizlapowell
Thanks for the quick detailed reply! I am now leaning more towards costume design because I really don't think I'd enjoy a job in commericial fashion, also the course content doesn't sound as interesting and seems to have more of an buissness rather than practical focus. I am really interested in making period peices and hats - I feel like I might enjoy it more? What universities did you look at if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 4
I know how you feel. I am think of both fields. Keep asking my self is it worth it. Fashion course you can work anywhere. Costume willing to travel to do the jobs or demand for movie or theatre jobs depends how busy the seasons are.
Original post by leruede
I know how you feel. I am think of both fields. Keep asking my self is it worth it. Fashion course you can work anywhere. Costume willing to travel to do the jobs or demand for movie or theatre jobs depends how busy the seasons are.

Hi there,
As a current Fashion Design student I am hoping I may be able to help a little bit with your choice between the two areas, or for anyone else that may read this!
I am currently at the end of my second year at Winchester School of Art, so I can definitely give more detail about Fashion Design as a course and hopefully this helps you to make a comparison with Costume Design. Throughout the course so far we have had a wide variety of briefs to focus on, with some being more commercial and some being more open and artistic. We are always encouraged to be as creative as possible, and go through the whole process of creating a sketchbook to develop ideas, then toiling and making the final garments. We also carry out technical workshops alongside this, which include sewing detailed sample clothing pieces, which have massively increased my sewing skills, and also digital workshops. In these, we learn how to create technical flat drawings and tech packs, which are very widely used in industry so a really important skill for future jobs.
A really beneficial aspect to the course is the option to have a year in industry, where you can take a year between 2nd and 3rd year to do internships. This means you will be able to finish uni already having job experience, which is ideal to find jobs.
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the facilities we have, or anything else about the course!
Anna (2nd Year Fashion Design student)
Reply 6
Original post by sharleenshark
The universities I'm looking at are Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Rose Bruford College, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Bristol Old Vic Theatre School and Liverpool Insititute, so they're all acting schools that give you a lot of experience in working in theatre as well as the costume aspects. I've also heard that Nottingham Trent does an excellent costume course, the only reason I'm not looking at that one is the lack of practical experience that the theatre schools give. But pretty much all costume courses do a lot of period costume work, so you'll be able to learn a lot about that no matter where you choose to go :smile:

I thought Lipa only does a postgraduate course?

Quick Reply

Latest