The Student Room Group

Grrr

This is purely a rant hehe so feel free to ignore! Yesterday after going ice skating, we got stopped by the police on the way back. I now have a thirty pound fine for not wearing a seatbelt. Thing is, I WAS WEARING ONE!

its so unfair, seriously, id hold up my hands and admit if i hadnt have been wearing one, but since my brother lost his best friend in a car crash, i always wear one

so annoying, and i really cant afford it right now

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How can they justify giving you a fine if you were wearing one? Did they see you wearing one?
Reply 2
You can take it too court and then the officers will have to prove you were not wearing one. You have witnesses who seen you wearing one, so it should hopefully go your way.
Reply 3
the policman insists i wasnt wearing it but put it on when we got stopped, but i swear thats not the case, im so annoyed. the person with me who wasnt wearing one also got fined which is fair enough but i cant believe i got fined when i was wearing one and had been the whole journey
Reply 4
how can they do that if you were wearing one?
Reply 5
i really dont know how they can do it, but i swear i was wearing it
Can you not just say "prove it", and see what happens?
pumpkin7
how can they do that if you were wearing one?

Because they thought they saw she wasn't.

They probably just saw you friend wasn't and it made them think you weren't. Taking it to small claims or whatever won't help, as witnesses in the car don't count I believe. Not if there's only one of them anyway.
Reply 8
yeah, my friend has said she'll pay they fine and everything but i feel guilty about that, especially seen as she'd paid petrol to take me ice skating and stuff. So i guess i'll have to find the money. We did try arguing.
I love policemen, dont get me wrong, but its stuff like this that give them a bad name
JumpingJonny
Can you not just say "prove it", and see what happens?

Think about it mate.

If that was the case, no arrest ever made would be valid unless the police filmed them doing it.

Word of police v. your word = police victory.

In this case the OP is unlucky and can't really do anything about it. Sorry!
TommyWannabe
Think about it mate.

If that was the case, no arrest ever made would be valid unless the police filmed them doing it.

In this case the OP is unlucky and can't really do anything about it. Sorry!

Yeah when you put it like that, unlucky OP :frown:
Reply 11
haha, thanks for your sympathies guys, any of you wanna give me thirty quid?
Reply 12
Cezmerelda
yeah, my friend has said she'll pay they fine and everything but i feel guilty about that, especially seen as she'd paid petrol to take me ice skating and stuff. So i guess i'll have to find the money. We did try arguing.
I love policemen, dont get me wrong, but its stuff like this that give them a bad name

If you didn't do it then don't pay it and take it to court. A policeman only has to have suspicion of a crime to issue a penalty ticket: if you're innocent, you're expected to let it lapse and wait for your court summons (which may well never come if the CPS are overloaded, or simply don't believe there is enough evidence against you).

I think police are too overzealous in giving out tickets these days, but it's down to you to take the issue further if you didn't do it.

TommyWannabe

Well, saying police officers are lying is a bit wide of the mark, but saying they misinterpreted or were mistaken about something is another matter, particularly when you've got a witness on your side.
L i b
Well, saying police officers are lying is a bit wide of the mark, but saying they misinterpreted or were mistaken about something is another matter, particularly when you've got a witness on your side.

As far as I can guess you'd never get anywhere. There isn't much interpretation - the officer saw (supposedly) the OP with her seatbelt on. Regardless of whether he was right or wrong things will always work in his favour.

And as I mentioned I'm sure that you can't call witness to people in the car at the time. Especially if said witness wasn't wearing a seatbelt....
Reply 14
TommyWannabe
As far as I can guess you'd never get anywhere. There isn't much interpretation - the officer saw (supposedly) the OP with her seatbelt on. Regardless of whether he was right or wrong things will always work in his favour.

i know its gonna be in his favour, but it just isnt fair!!
Reply 15
TommyWannabe
And as I mentioned I'm sure that you can't call witness to people in the car at the time. Especially if said witness wasn't wearing a seatbelt....

Of course you can, don't be ridiculous. Plus, if the other person pays her ticket, then she won't be convicted or ever have been convicted: the fact that she wasn't wearing a seatbelt would be completely inadmissible and irrelevant in a court.

Cezmerelda
i know its gonna be in his favour, but it just isnt fair!!

On what basis do you assume our court system isn't fair?
take them to court and ask them to prove it! you have a witness, and unless the officer has proof, the police will almost certainly drop the charge.
L i b
Of course you can, don't be ridiculous. Plus, if the other person pays her ticket, then she won't be convicted or ever have been convicted: the fact that she wasn't wearing a seatbelt would be completely inadmissible and irrelevant in a court.

Do you actually have any legal experience just out of curiousity? I'm sure that I've read somewhere that most of the time you can't call a witness from the same car, unless they were kidnapped or something hehe. I think I read it in regards to being on the phone whilst driving. A passenger said she wasn't but they dismissed it.

I might be wrong and if you know then I accpet that completely. Will see if I can find my little case thing.
Reply 18
alright people stop hijacking my little feeling sorry for myself thread hehe
Reply 19
try taking them to court, but tbh i dunno if the person in your car counts as a witness. my sister had a car accident last year and when it came to it, her friend who was with her in the car, wasn't allowed to be a witness :s-smilie: not sure why, but he wasn't.

worth a shot though right?

Latest

Trending

Trending