The Student Room Group

Police re-open a case from 1926

I guess fair play to the police if they have new evidence.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7867412.stm

Detectives have reopened an 83-year-old case of a missing teenage girl who may have been murdered.

Emma Alice Smith, 16, was last seen in 1926 as she set off on her bicycle from her home in Waldron, East Sussex, to Horam railway station.

An investigation was started but her body was never found.

Sussex Police have now revealed that a member of family has indicated that she may have been murdered and her body dumped in a nearby pond.

The case has been reopened by the force's major crime branch.

'Proper burial'

Det Ch Insp Trevor Bowles said: "This is a very unusual case.

"We have been approached by a member of Emma's family who has indicated that there is a possibility that she was murdered close to Waldron or Horam and that her body was disposed of locally.

"Clearly the family are keen to trace the body of Emma, if that is possible, in order that she can be given a proper burial and laid to rest with her close family."

He added: "I am keen to hear from anyone locally who may recall the disappearance of Emma.

"A number of local people have already assisted us and have been able to fill in some of the many gaps which exist.

"Given the years which have passed this is inevitably a difficult task."

A short film based on the disappearance of Emma Smith was screened in Waldron on Sunday.
Local people have filled gaps in that weren't filled in back then?

Hmm...
Reply 2
He added: "I am keen to hear from anyone locally who may recall the disappearance of Emma.

Idoubt these people can remember what they did last week, let alone 83 years ago.
Anyone still around now from back then would surely be well over 90 years old now. You can't possibly ever find a killer now from that far back.
Rock Fan
Anyone still around now from back then would surely be well over 90 years old now. You can't possibly ever find a killer now from that far back.

Do you not watch Cold Case? lololololol :rolleyes:

Well, it's not so much the age - Sussex born and Sussex bred, thick in the arm and thick in the head!
Reply 5
Well good luck in finding the killer. It may take forever.
Reply 6
What a waste of time
Reply 7
This is really worth it :yep:
Seems weird, whoever did it will likely be dead, but i think its for the closure that the family will get from finding out for definite
Reply 9
FiveFiveSix
Do you not watch Cold Case? lololololol :rolleyes:

Well, it's not so much the age - Sussex born and Sussex bred, thick in the arm and thick in the head!

excuse me?! nothing wrong with sussex!!! i'm very proud of where i'm from
They're just making and excuse so that they wont have to go out in the freezing cold to do their real jobs.
Reply 11
The poor girl still desrves some justice.

Latest

Trending

Trending