The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Imperial College was a member until they left in 2007. UCL, LSE and UCL now award their own degrees rather than University of London degrees but still remain UoL members. It doesn't denote prestige in itself and has no innate advatnage (other than the brand name I suppose). Being the same university, just a mega federal type university, you can share facilities I think, like libraries. So this is an advantage. Anyway, moving to the London unis for those at UoL to comment.
Reply 2
River85
Imperial College was a member until they left in 2007. UCL, LSE and UCL now award their own degrees rather than University of London degrees but still remain UoL members. It doesn't denote prestige in itself and has no innate advatnage (other than the brand name I suppose). Being the same university, just a mega federal type university, you can share facilities I think, like libraries. So this is an advantage. Anyway, moving to the London unis for those at UoL to comment.

just for your info - King's also awards its own degree. (since 2007)
River85

Ah right I understand. Cheers :smile:

Gonna go look up why Imperial left...
Reply 4
River85

Did you mean just UCL and LSE, or was that third one supposed to be another uni?

Edit: Ahh, I see.
Reply 5
jy9626
just for your info - King's also awards its own degree. (since 2007)

If you have a look at my post you'll find UCL mentioned twice. It was a typo and I meant UCL, LSE and KCL.
You have a shared student union on top of your university's own one, so more societies to join, more bars to go to and such. I think there's also some shared libraries. And there are certain Halls of residences which are intercollegiate, so have students from all UoL universities in them, so you have the chance to meet people from everywhere.
Reply 7
River85
If you have a look at my post you'll find UCL mentioned twice. It was a typo and I meant UCL, LSE and KCL.

oh okay.
Reply 8
It means for a great deal of courses, there are intercollegoate arrangements. For example I will be at SOAS and Birkbeck next year for modules.

But the UoL at postgraduate level equates to a high level of prestige and resources (academics and facilities).
Reply 9
Topmanfaz

Gonna go look up why Imperial left...

when you found out tell me also. Would like to know too :smile:
I think the unofficial reason was that they're snobs lol :wink:
Reply 11
Being part of UoL means that the uni is in a 'nice little club' where the uni students can share facilities and meet more people (from sharing the libraries etc). I suppose it does hold a litttle bit of prestige to be part of the club, since all the member are well known unis.
Reply 12
when you found out tell me also. Would like to know too :smile:

Imperial was always the odd college. When my father studied at King's when it was collegiate university (UoL), Imperial was separate when it came to teaching and handling over finances; money was usually handled at the Senate House on behalf of the colleges and institutes. Leaving the UoL didn't really change much within the UoL system itself.
Reply 13
Vincente
It means for a great deal of courses, there are intercollegoate arrangements. For example I will be at SOAS and Birkbeck next year for modules.

Yep. History is one of the courses that has modules that can be studied in other UOL colleges from your own. I'm at Goldsmiths and I will be doing a module at either Kings or UCL from this September/October.
Revd. Mike
I think the unofficial reason was that they're snobs lol :wink:

indeed :redface:
Reply 15
Some of us think that one of the reasons that Imperial left was because of some of the higher-ups in IC not thinking that Imperial was getting a good deal out of staying as part of the UoL. They decided to break up at the 100th anniversary of Imperial, possibly to hide it behind as an excuse. The rector at the time - Richard Sykes started turning Imperial into a more business-orientated uni, and so UoL would've been getting in the way of his grand plans. It does now mean that imperial has a turnover of 700mil and has control over the largest NHS trust group I believe, though.

And we're not snobs :frown:
Reply 16
at either Kings or UCL .

Why, for the heck of it, or because you're restricted at what you can study at your college?
Reply 17
It essentially just means a second Union at UG level, with the exception of intercollegiate modules on some courses. I really don't think the prestige element comes into it for many universities, unless by prestige you mean publicity, which is important for smaller colleges like Heythrop.
Reply 18
Vincente
Why, for the heck of it, or because you're restricted at what you can study at your college?

The school of history in the Uni of London allows people to take intercollegiate courses only at participating institutions i.e. rhul, ucl, ssees, goldsmiths and queen mary's. SOAS, LSE and Birkbeck are incompatible due to fees charged or term dates not matching apparently. I don't think there's many departments in the UoL anymore that allow this.

Doing a course at a different college can see you studying what isn't available at your college. More historical periods to engage in that might interest you really!!
Reply 19
The school of history in the Uni of London allows people to take intercollegiate courses only at participating institutions i.e. rhul, ucl, ssees, goldsmiths and queen mary's. SOAS, LSE and Birkbeck are incompatible due to fees charged or term dates not matching apparently. I don't think there's many departments in the UoL anymore that allow this.

Doing a course at a different college can see you studying what isn't available at your college. More historical periods to engage in that might interest you really!!

I know, although I'm surprised RHUL students can't really study at SOAS or Bkc. But for the other poster he simply said KCL or UCL, and I was wondering if he was doing it for the heck of it because they are the two top colleges for history.

Latest

Trending

Trending