The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City & St George's exploring merger

With a failed merger with RH recently and before, looks like St George is looking for another bigger partner again - this time it is City.
Not a bad move, me thinks - most of the other Uni of London went that way too.
Any thoughts?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by student_london
With a failed merger with RH recently and before, looks like St George is looking for another bigger partner again - this time it is City.
Not a bad move, me thinks - most of the other Uni of London went that way too.
Any thoughts?

Would certainly boost each other's reputation. Each has its own strengths.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
It's looking like it's happening. As a current SGUL student, we were just asked to complete a survey about the name "City St George's, University of London"
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
It's looking like it's happening. As a current SGUL student, we were just asked to complete a survey about the name "City St George's, University of London"

Whats the general consensus about the possible merger among sgul students? Dont care? Better facilities potentially?
Reply 4
Whats the general consensus about the possible merger among sgul students? Dont care? Better facilities potentially?

I don't know to be honest, I haven't spoken to that many people about it. I think it's pretty well-agreed that it makes far more sense than the Royal Holloway merger which literally everyone was against, but some people are still iffy about it.

I'm curious how they decided who would get top-billing in the name haha. Maybe St George's is getting more from the merger so they don't have the bargaining rights? I don't know.
Reply 5
Long term I think it makes sense to pool resources and take advantage of economies of scale. Also, there is no much overlap it seems, complementary - which is good. You dont want merger with another School that has already got a medical department offering the same qualifications.
Lastly, good to diversify as a whole. Sgul is the only school of its type left.
Reply 6

Honestly don't think anyone at sgul really cares? As far as I know anyways
I just dropped out of SGUL and am now studying at City, lol so it seems SGUL will haunt me where ever I go. Kidding, mostly… anyways I think it benefits SGUL more than it does City, having been to both, City has the better location, facilities, higher rankings, etc. I was pro merger while studying at SGUL because the SGUL campus is unslightly imo, and while tooting is a vibrant part of London, it doesn’t really give the London experience. Amazing food though at the food market lol.

Regardless though they need to work on the name, city St George’s, university of London doesn't roll off the tongue. I doubt students really care though about the merger, at the end of the day when you graduate you are going to get a degree from the university you are enrolled to. And more facilities is always a good thing when you are paying 9k for them
Original post by Anonymous
I just dropped out of SGUL and am now studying at City, lol so it seems SGUL will haunt me where ever I go. Kidding, mostly… anyways I think it benefits SGUL more than it does City, having been to both, City has the better location, facilities, higher rankings, etc. I was pro merger while studying at SGUL because the SGUL campus is unslightly imo, and while tooting is a vibrant part of London, it doesn’t really give the London experience. Amazing food though at the food market lol.

Regardless though they need to work on the name, city St George’s, university of London doesn't roll off the tongue. I doubt students really care though about the merger, at the end of the day when you graduate you are going to get a degree from the university you are enrolled to. And more facilities is always a good thing when you are paying 9k for them

I'm a prospective student at SGUL and just found out about this, what does the merger mean for SGUL students? Do they get to share the facilities at City or go to eachothers campus since you mentioned the SGUL campus is unsightly does that mean sgul students can go to City perhaps? Thanks!
Were Kingston and St George's merged at one point as I've read old threads on here about students having to be based at Kingston Campus for Radiography for example, but in more recent threads I haven't seen anything about Kingston....does this potentially mean with the City merger students nay be based at the City campus? How does that work for City students since its essentially 2 unis in one so they can't all be in one uni at a time, so would City students be based at St Georges for part of the course and vice versa? Also does anyone know when this will actually be put into place and when students will actually benefit from the effects of the merger, would it begin from 2023 or 2024 intake or potentially even later? Sorry for all the questions lol this is news to me haha
Agreement signed - looks like the merger is going ahead. City St George's will be the new name of the merged institution led by the current President of City.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending