The Student Room Group

Law uni back ups

I want to do a law degree and my first choice is going to Cambridge law however I'm looking for some safe back up universities in London (require As, Bs, Cs).
Which London universities would be good to apply to?
Reply 1
city, university of london has entry requirements for law for abb, uni of westminster requires bbc, london metropolitan uni requires bbc too. all of those also don’t require lnat, so one of them could be your super safe option! there’s more, but they’re examples :smile:
Reply 2
if your first choice is Cambridge I'm going to guess you're obviously a high achiever.

do not aim low. don't have insurance universities/back ups that you would never go to. if you don't get into the universities you want to, just take a gap year. most of the universities in London besides UCL LSE KCL QMUL aren't too great for law. City is ok.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
i agree partly with @MAKER12. i think pupils are always advised to have one university choice with entry requirements are lower than what they will, in reality, achieve or want to attain just as a safety. but this doesn’t have to be a university that has entry requirements of bbc, for example. mine is one with requirements of aab, for example. having a safety uni does not mean you’re aiming low, though. it’s true that most of the london unis aforementioned (for law) do not rank highly, but that’s more the point of it being a back-up, since top unis will have the more demanding requirements. however it seems like you’re definitely capable of them. nevertheless, do make sure you do like any back-ups as said.

i know that the person before me spoke about a gap year, which is an option if it’s viable. me personally, it wasn’t possible in terms of money and family. i don’t know about your situation, but that could be an option if you’re unhappy with the unis you receive offers from- if your situation allows it. but hopefully this also won’t happen as all five unis you pick, you’ll ideally like and be happy going to :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by isha_07
i agree partly with @MAKER12. i think pupils are always advised to have one university choice with entry requirements are lower than what they will, in reality, achieve or want to attain just as a safety. but this doesn’t have to be a university that has entry requirements of bbc, for example. mine is one with requirements of aab, for example. having a safety uni does not mean you’re aiming low, though. it’s true that most of the london unis aforementioned (for law) do not rank highly, but that’s more the point of it being a back-up, since top unis will have the more demanding requirements. however it seems like you’re definitely capable of them. nevertheless, do make sure you do like any back-ups as said.

i know that the person before me spoke about a gap year, which is an option if it’s viable. me personally, it wasn’t possible in terms of money and family. i don’t know about your situation, but that could be an option if you’re unhappy with the unis you receive offers from- if your situation allows it. but hopefully this also won’t happen as all five unis you pick, you’ll ideally like and be happy going to :smile:

Thank you! This is really helpful for me
Reply 5
Original post by MAKER12
if your first choice is Cambridge I'm going to guess you're obviously a high achiever.

do not aim low. don't have insurance universities/back ups that you would never go to. if you don't get into the universities you want to, just take a gap year. most of the universities in London besides UCL LSE KCL QMUL aren't too great for law. City is ok.

Thank you, this is useful information for me.
If you want a career in a top City law firm or Chambers I would recommend applying only to elite universities and taking a gap year if you don’t get in. The CV building during the gap year will also enhance your employment prospects in due course.
Reply 7
Original post by katana10000
If you want a career in a top City law firm or Chambers I would recommend applying only to elite universities and taking a gap year if you don’t get in. The CV building during the gap year will also enhance your employment prospects in due course.
I'm not really sure what kind of career I'm looking for yet, I just know I'm interested in studying the law but this is still very useful thank you!
Original post by hicweondksc
I want to do a law degree and my first choice is going to Cambridge law however I'm looking for some safe back up universities in London (require As, Bs, Cs).
Which London universities would be good to apply to?
Northeastern University London is quite a nice university, plus you don't have to apply for it through UCAS as you can apply to it directly, meaning that you can fill up your 5 UCAS choices with top universities and still have the peace of mind that you have somewhere to fall back on. I believe Northeastern allows you to do a semester at their main campus in the US too.

Outside of Northeastern as it doesn't cost you one of your 5 places to have as a backup, I wouldn't recommend applying to backups that aren't Russel Group just out of fear of not getting in to your main choices. This is because all of the backups like City, SOAS, London Met, Goldsmiths, Kent etc. are almost always available through clearing on results day. In fact, University of Birmingham has been available through clearing for the past few years and it is a Russel Group that does decently for law.
Reply 9
Original post by poppy2022
Northeastern University London is quite a nice university, plus you don't have to apply for it through UCAS as you can apply to it directly, meaning that you can fill up your 5 UCAS choices with top universities and still have the peace of mind that you have somewhere to fall back on. I believe Northeastern allows you to do a semester at their main campus in the US too.

Outside of Northeastern as it doesn't cost you one of your 5 places to have as a backup, I wouldn't recommend applying to backups that aren't Russel Group just out of fear of not getting in to your main choices. This is because all of the backups like City, SOAS, London Met, Goldsmiths, Kent etc. are almost always available through clearing on results day. In fact, University of Birmingham has been available through clearing for the past few years and it is a Russel Group that does decently for law.
I didn't know that, thank you for letting me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending