The Student Room Group

Art Foundation

I know this is probably quite a broad question and will differ depending on where you apply to do your art foundation but what do you actually need to include in your portfolio? If I do decide to apply for an art foundation I want to have a good solid portfolio which will include everything needed to enter the course. I’m not doing an art a level or anything equivalent at the moment so I don’t want this to put me at a disadvantage as obviously I’d be working towards my portfolio at home. I would only be applying to local colleges however I’m still unsure to how much I need to include in the portfolio and what is expected of me. I have a general idea but I just need to check what is essential.
Reply 1
Well, I included an essay on an artist, and a few A3 sketchbooks showing how you use research, and how it has influenced your work and lots of mixed media as on foundation courses you do a lot of experimental work. Very the size of your work too like, A2, A0, A5 etc. Like I brought in a synthetic cubism piece which was 1.5m X 1m, of course you don't have to be over the top like that thoughlol, bt it's just an example.
Hope this info has helped. :smile:
Bring a good variety of work with you in terms of media and style. Also, if you've done any sculpture work or work too big to bring along, they like photos :smile: I personally didn't include an essay, but it's a good idea to read up on a few artists that interest you, as they may well ask you about your inspirations etc. Other than that I'm not too sure what to suggest, but I just got in to PCAD so I must be doing something right hahha :smile:
Reply 3
I brought barely anything besides a few pictures/still frames to my interview as I mostly work in film though they were quite keen on my ideas, I'd say it's a good idea to include a few drawings/paintings as it's quite important for Art foundation. And they said thats the only thing I was really lacking from my portfolio at the time.
Reply 4
Ideas! Lots and lots of ideas whether they are developed or not.
Reply 5
different colleges will require different things like there may be a task you need to do (e.g. a drawing of your house in pencil)
most (from what i know) want to see a range of media (pencil, pastel, paint) and techniques, some experimental pieces as well as finished pieces. as someone said above, a variety of sizes as well.
good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Definitely what tea_cakes said, tonnes of ideas!

I'd even suggest bringing a notebook with you where ever you go, just of notes on anything to do with art and design, from things you like to ideas you have for different pieces. This is an easy way to show a lot of ideas.

Also as well as a range of media, a huge range of different aspects of art and design helps, such as graphic design, photography, painting etc.

Never throw away work and visit galleries, exhibitions - take notes about what you like (this surprisingly helps!) and take pictures of you going to these places and put it in your portfolio :smile: so it shows you are putting in the effort. And one last thing would be to work on your weakness, show you are weak at something - make a whole sketchbook of you improving and experimenting about it.
Reply 7
Hey I'm starting my fisrt year at PCAD in september 09, and I'm finding it difficult to find housing with other people from PCAD. Anyone else in the same situation.
Jess x

Latest