The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Type O blood contains type A and Type B Antibodies in the plasma, which would coagulate blood that isnt free of these antigens - Type O.
Reply 2
Tom4510
Type O blood contains type A and Type B Antibodies in the plasma, which would coagulate blood that isnt free of these antigens - Type O.

Yeah I read it again and finally got it but I've changed the question now. I don't understand why type O is a universal donor.

Thanks though. :smile:
Reply 3
Thats why they use a centrifuge.
Reply 4
Blue Rose
Yeah I read it again and finally got it but I've changed the question now. I don't understand why type O is a universal donor.

Thanks though. :smile:

Because even though type O blood contains anti-A and anti-B antibodies it doesn't matter, as you always ignore the antibodies of donor's blood as they're in such minimal amount agglutination doesn't take effect.
Reply 5
i thought tpe o could recieve an blood tpe, can they give it out too?
Reply 6
Okay I understand why type O is a universal donor but why are they not universal receivers?
Reply 7
Because they contain both anti-A and anti-B antibodies that bind to A and B antigens that are contained in type A (A antigen) blood, type B (B antigen containing) blood and AB (both)...thus causing agglutination and possible clotting of the blood.
They can be a universal donor as there is a minimal amount of antibodies contained in the donor type O blood that could bind with A/B antigens --> no agglutination.
Reply 8
Flozza_X
Because they contain both anti-A and anti-B antibodies that bind to A and B antigens that are contained in type A (A antigen) blood, type B (B antigen containing) blood and AB (both)...thus causing agglutination and possible clotting of the blood.
They can be a universal donor as there is a minimal amount of antibodies contained in the donor type O blood that could bind with A/B antigens --> no agglutination.

I understand now, thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending