The Student Room Group

NHS Healthcare scientist assistant job interview advice?

Hi :smile: I have completed a degree in human biology, currently doing a masters in biomedical science. I have applied for SO many lab based jobs and got nowhere as I have no 'experience'. I have an interview this Saturday for a healthcare scientist assistant. I think it would be finally great to have a job where I can start to get some experience and be able to (hopefully) work my way up.

The email states it will be 2-3 hours long and will include maths / numeracy test and also an IT and telephone assessment. Then if successful at these, an interview.

I've had a look online and not found much. If anyone can give some information of what these tasks will include and what the interview would be like it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by daniellee0
Hi :smile: I have completed a degree in human biology, currently doing a masters in biomedical science. I have applied for SO many lab based jobs and got nowhere as I have no 'experience'. I have an interview this Saturday for a healthcare scientist assistant. I think it would be finally great to have a job where I can start to get some experience and be able to (hopefully) work my way up.

The email states it will be 2-3 hours long and will include maths / numeracy test and also an IT and telephone assessment. Then if successful at these, an interview.

I've had a look online and not found much. If anyone can give some information of what these tasks will include and what the interview would be like it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Hello
Hope you had the test for hcsa. Could you please give some tips? I m having one next week. Please help
Reply 2
Original post by Achu6
Hello
Hope you had the test for hcsa. Could you please give some tips? I m having one next week. Please help

It was very easy. First there was a basic maths & English test. Then there was a computer one, all you had to do was copy the information from 4 cards and put it onto the electronic version. Another test was finding any missing bits of information from a test tube and a record sheet and at the end was a few maths questions. Lastly was a phone call where you just had to write down the information given by the doctor on the other end. If you passed all these then you got an interview on the same day. Strange because hardly anyone passed them, but they were all super simple!
Reply 3
It was very easy. First there was a basic maths & English test. Then there was a computer one, all you had to do was copy the information from 4 cards and put it onto the electronic version. Another test was finding any missing bits of information from a test tube and a record sheet and at the end was a few maths questions. Lastly was a phone call where you just had to write down the information given by the doctor on the other end. If you passed all these then you got an interview on the same day. Strange because hardly anyone passed them, but they were all super simple!

Thank you so much for your response. For me they told i have to face a test based on genetics and science for an hour. Do you have any idea?
Reply 4
Original post by Achu6
Thank you so much for your response. For me they told i have to face a test based on genetics and science for an hour. Do you have any idea?

I have no idea sorry. I just got told I would face a number of tests and then if successful i would get an interview the same day. Are you sure your post is hcsa? Seems a bit of an intense test for a basic role.
Reply 5
I have no idea sorry. I just got told I would face a number f tests and then if successful i would get an interview the same day. Are you sure your post is hcsa? Seems a bit of an intense test for a basic role.

Yes hcsa. But its a genetics lab
Reply 6
Original post by Achu6
Yes hcsa. But its a genetics lab

Did you say you had an interview in a genetics lab?
Reply 7
Hello Achu6 sorry to jump into to this but I would be very grateful if you can help me.
I have been invited to attend an assessment for hca in the genetic lab. Not sure what to expect, can you please remember what type of questions were there in the assessment?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello I worked in blood sciences and started as a HSCA so I know some of the generic interview questions will be relevant.

I will list some question below which were asked and others I know have been asked.

What qualities can you bring to the role?
How do [job role] deliver to service users?
Some form of teamwork question or working autonomously
Name a time where you made a mistake and how you went about it
What is confidentiality and how would you maintain it?
When have you had to alter your style of communication?
What is a standard operating procedure? What needs to be included in a SOP document?
How would you deal with conflict?
What do you know about quality?
Why is it important to be open and honest within the lab / work place?
A time you went above and beyond?
Sometimes ask about the hospitals core values.

I also had an interview for genetics before I got into blood sciences and they asked about a genetic disease and they asked about types of methods / diagnostics they use (this was a band 4 post). I know they score the interviews on points so when answering questions make sure to elaborate and give examples / situations.

If they offer a tour round the lab I would recommend going if you are able to.

Good luck!!
Original post by S4ny4
Hello Achu6 sorry to jump into to this but I would be very grateful if you can help me.
I have been invited to attend an assessment for hca in the genetic lab. Not sure what to expect, can you please remember what type of questions were there in the assessment?

Hello I worked in blood sciences and started as a HSCA so I know some of the generic interview questions will be relevant.

I will list some question below which were asked and others I know have been asked.

What is a standard operating procedure? What needs to be included in a SOP document?

I also had an interview for genetics before I got into blood sciences and they asked about a genetic disease and they asked about types of methods / diagnostics they use (this was a band 4 post). I know they score the interviews on points so when answering questions make sure to elaborate and give examples / situations.

Good luck!!
Reply 10
Thank you so much, I appreciate your reply. I will update you after the assessment.
hopefully I will pass the assessment, and move to the interview stage which will be a week after the assessment.

Good luck!!
Reply 11
Hello again Daniellee
I had the assessment
It wasn't hard tbh
Few questions about safety came up on the form of identifying the safety signs of lab.
Some questions about pedigree diagram.
Basic genetics questions.

Pictures where you need to pay attention to detail to identify errors.

I hope someone will find this information useful.
Original post by S4ny4
Hello again Daniellee
I had the assessment
It wasn't hard tbh
Few questions about safety came up on the form of identifying the safety signs of lab.
Some questions about pedigree diagram.
Basic genetics questions.

Pictures where you need to pay attention to detail to identify errors.

I hope someone will find this information useful.

Hey I was wondering if you elaborate a little bit more on the assessment.
Ive got one for a HCSA in a genetics lab tomorrow, so was wondering if there was any advice you had?
Reply 13
Original post by Francesca Rogers
Hey I was wondering if you elaborate a little bit more on the assessment.
Ive got one for a HCSA in a genetics lab tomorrow, so was wondering if there was any advice you had?

Hi, I have mine coming up and there is NOTHING online about what the assessment is about and what it covered... Have you done it???? if so what was it like, any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending