The Student Room Group

Predicted grades lower than needed

Hello, my predicted grades are BBC. I would like to study Global Sustainable Development but not sure if any university will accept me with these grades. Alternatively, I was thinking of gap year attempting higher results in Year 13. What would you suggest?
Original post by Nighttingale
Hello, my predicted grades are BBC. I would like to study Global Sustainable Development but not sure if any university will accept me with these grades. Alternatively, I was thinking of gap year attempting higher results in Year 13. What would you suggest?

You probably have a reasonable chance of getting an offer from Bath Spa University for Global Development and Sustainability BSc (Hons), for which they say here that their typical offer is, "A Level - grades BBB-BCC or above preferred including a Grade B in Geography, Sociology, Economics or Science."

Similarly, University of Essex say here that for their Global Sustainability BSc they want "A-levels: BBB, including Biology or Environmental Science (or equivalent). Acceptable A-level equivalents are Environmental Technology, Geography, Life and Health Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics."

Why not apply for these (and some others) now and see what happens. If you get offers and then ultimately achieve the required grades, then great. If you don't get any offers, then you use UCAS Extra, and if that doesn't work you can see what's in UCAS Clearing next August. If nothing appeals, then you can embark on a retake year. You don't need to commit to that approach yet.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You probably have a reasonable chance of getting an offer from Bath Spa University for Global Development and Sustainability BSc (Hons), for which they say here that their typical offer is, "A Level - grades BBB-BCC or above preferred including a Grade B in Geography, Sociology, Economics or Science."

Similarly, University of Essex say here that for their Global Sustainability BSc they want "A-levels: BBB, including Biology or Environmental Science (or equivalent). Acceptable A-level equivalents are Environmental Technology, Geography, Life and Health Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics."

Why not apply for these (and some others) now and see what happens. If you get offers and then ultimately achieve the required grades, then great. If you don't get any offers, then you use UCAS Extra, and if that doesn't work you can see what's in UCAS Clearing next August. If nothing appeals, then you can embark on a retake year. You don't need to commit to that approach yet.

Thank you, DataVenia,
Your answer was very helpful.
Reply 3
Forget UCAS for this year.
Work your socks off to get the best grades you can - really work, dont just play at it.
Then apply next year with achieved grades.
Recommended.
Reply 4

Its an ex-teacher training college with no reputation for this subject.
If you want to work in this area, go somewhere else.
Reply 5
Predicted grades aren't set in stone. If you talk to your teachers about this and then prove to them that you're going to work as hard as you possibly can to achieve higher grades then you should have a pretty good chance at getting them to increase your predicted grade.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Forget UCAS for this year.
Work your socks off to get the best grades you can - really work, dont just play at it.
Then apply next year with achieved grades.
Recommended.

thanks,
Reply 7
Original post by lprid
Predicted grades aren't set in stone. If you talk to your teachers about this and then prove to them that you're going to work as hard as you possibly can to achieve higher grades then you should have a pretty good chance at getting them to increase your predicted grade.

The teachers said these are my predicted grades. However, I don't understand why they are not giving me the chance to improve till the UCAS deadline in January. This is the practice in our school, and I am not sure what is the background. I already work hard and achieved better results in two subjects.
I will try to speak to the teachers again. Thanks for your advice.
Reply 8
The teachers said these are my predicted grades. However, I don't understand why they are not giving me the chance to improve till the UCAS deadline in January. This is the practice in our school, and I am not sure what is the background. I already work hard and achieved better results in two subjects.
I will try to speak to the teachers again. Thanks for your advice.

If speaking to your subject teachers doesn't work, I'd try to speak to a tutor/careers advisor/senior member of staff. Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by lprid
If speaking to your subject teachers doesn't work, I'd try to speak to a tutor/careers advisor/senior member of staff. Good luck!

I've spoken to the senior level but they asked to go back and speak to the subject teacher. I carry on with aloptions and continue study hard.
Original post by lprid

Bullying a school to increase predictions is foolish - if you don't meet your offers you end up in clearing and often without accommodation!

Schools which over-predict are known and that is taken into account. I am held to account for my predictions and very few at my school don't meet their offers.

Although I don’t know my predicted grades, I didn’t do quite well for my as so it’s safe to assume that my predicted grades won’t be too good. My personal take on this is I’ll still apply to the schools I want to and if that doesn’t work out, I’ll reapply next year.
Original post by dentistjoe
Although I don’t know my predicted grades, I didn’t do quite well for my as so it’s safe to assume that my predicted grades won’t be too good. My personal take on this is I’ll still apply to the schools I want to and if that doesn’t work out, I’ll reapply next year.

Applying for courses / universities without regard to what your predicted grades actually are (especially if you think they "won’t be too good") is very likely to lead to disappointment and, as you say, the need to reapply next year.

Presumably you'll know your predicted grades at the time you're ready to submit your application to UCAS. Applying with those predictions in mind is a much more sensible approach, and is much more likely to lead to offers rather then rejections.
Applying for courses / universities without regard to what your predicted grades actually are (especially if you think they "won’t be too good") is very likely to lead to disappointment and, as you say, the need to reapply next year.

Presumably you'll know your predicted grades at the time you're ready to submit your application to UCAS. Applying with those predictions in mind is a much more sensible approach, and is much more likely to lead to offers rather then rejections.

I actually wouldn’t know about my predicted grades before I submit my applications as my school has a policy of leaving predicted grades confidential. We are not allowed to ask for a higher prediction, or just ask about predictions in general. It is because of this policy that I have no way of predicting what my predicted grades will be. I have heard from previous students that even getting full ums in their as (I take edexcel IAL) did not guarantee an A*. As for picking ambitious schools, this may be deemed as ridiculous, but if I wouldn’t attend the schools I applied to (which was changed bc I was afraid that my predicted grades are lower than expected), then why would I waste my choices? Bc of this thought, I decided to go with my original plan. Thank you for the advice though!
Original post by dentistjoe
I actually wouldn’t know about my predicted grades before I submit my applications as my school has a policy of leaving predicted grades confidential. We are not allowed to ask for a higher prediction, or just ask about predictions in general. It is because of this policy that I have no way of predicting what my predicted grades will be. I have heard from previous students that even getting full ums in their as (I take edexcel IAL) did not guarantee an A*. As for picking ambitious schools, this may be deemed as ridiculous, but if I wouldn’t attend the schools I applied to (which was changed bc I was afraid that my predicted grades are lower than expected), then why would I waste my choices? Bc of this thought, I decided to go with my original plan. Thank you for the advice though!

Your school keeping your grades confidential is an odd approach to take. It will mean that some students will not even apply to "aspirational" unis, when they could, and some will when they really shouldn't. Given this, your approach is a reasonable one.

(I think I might still use one of my five choices for a slightly "safer" option, in the hope of avoiding an unnecessary gap year if my predictions aren't what I'd expected.)
My Mum works in this area - director of a big NGO. She says all the jobs are going to people in the global south (donors call it the localisation agenda) so the opportunities for this area will be limited in the future. Currently most of her colleagues are elite unis plus postgrad (even for entry level roles). If you are really passionate about working in international development she says you would be much better off getting a skill that is needed by these organisations - such as accounting, HR, or even fundraising (digital marketing for example). There aren't really generic global development type jobs any more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending