The Student Room Group

The Government Legal Service

Scroll to see replies

Zinnobelle237
They confirmed your application submission via email....

Right, thanks. Well I submitted mine 4 hours prior to the deadline (checked my sentbox, no problems, and the email address was right too) and never received any confirmation. Oh well!
k89g
2nd year King's College LLB. Three 1st and a 2:1 in my first year modules. AAAB A-Levels.

I was a trainee martial arts instructor for 3/4 years during Secondary School but other than that, no real work experience (and nothing legal). That's mainly why I am so shocked! Law firms really don't seem to care though...I have another vac scheme with White & Case and had interviews with BLG and Mayer Brown.

Oh, I do pro bono work with King's - StreetLaw and Law Mentoring.

I really think it's the first year grades that they base it on...I was told by my contract tutor (who worked Magic Circle for years) last year that the first year exams will be the most important you take!

I still haven't decided whether I can afford the risk of going for the Bar and so am doing mini-pupillages and vac schemes whilst telling each I am totally committed to that path! :p: That's why I did TSol with the GLS because they are the big advocates...

They actually and utterly believe that they can foretell an individual's performance on the job and later on in life by a few marks which were obtained when they were teenagers? I'm still attempting to decipher why large law firms want to interview people when they are so young. Then again, law degrees ARE still at undergraduate level in this country....so I shouldn't be too surprised....
Cloud Shine
Right, thanks. Well I submitted mine 4 hours prior to the deadline (checked my sentbox, no problems, and the email address was right too) and never received any confirmation. Oh well!

Hmmm that's quite strange. I received mine Feb 11th. But I guess you can still wait for the letter?
Nope, it's not going to come, not that bothered anyway managed to get 2 other vac schemes. I don't think 20 is really that young to be interviewing people for jobs...some people embark on their careers straight after school/college, at 16/18. Graduates will still only be 21.
Cloud Shine
Nope, it's not going to come, not that bothered anyway managed to get 2 other vac schemes. I don't think 20 is really that young to be interviewing people for jobs...some people embark on their careers straight after school/college, at 16/18. Graduates will still only be 21.

Well, yeah I guess it varies from person to person. I just think that some people need a lot more experience before they take on a real job, experience which you can't have already gotten at 19 or 20 :s-smilie:
YAY!! They must be coming through now....offer from MOD! :smile: :smile: :smile: Congrats everyone else!
I've just called them and asked them to mail me the letter as I'm off home for a while. Apparently it was sent out yesterday. She couldn't tell me on phone unfortunately.
Reply 127
Zinnobelle237
They actually and utterly believe that they can foretell an individual's performance on the job and later on in life by a few marks which were obtained when they were teenagers? I'm still attempting to decipher why large law firms want to interview people when they are so young. Then again, law degrees ARE still at undergraduate level in this country....so I shouldn't be too surprised....
To be fair, they also have a two year Training Contract to assess your performance before you actually start the job properly. If they decide that you aren't good enough then they won't offer you a place on qualification.
Rejection letter received this afternoon!
Oh well, I'm still applying for a TC with them :smile: xx
Reply 129
still haven't heard anything- annoying. seems like there's no point in ringing as they won't tell me on the phone. tomorrow hopefully!
Reply 130
apparently i'm on a reserve list but i doubt anyone will drop out at this stage. but will keep my hopes up!
i'm on holiday for the open day so it's not much of a consolation prize!
are you all applying for summer placement schemes with The GLS?? Im bit lost here and do not know what is this thread about,anyone willing to clarify it for me,THANKS
They are talking about summer vacation scheme placements.
Ethereal
They are talking about summer vacation scheme placements.

the deadline for summer vacation scheme placements has passed?

Thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate this:smile:
Note: the Training Contract/Pupilage application begins in July. See http://www.gls.gov.uk/graduaterecruitment/graduate-apply.htm for mailing list
Hiya. I know GLS do offer a week of work experience every year during the summer. Does anyone know when does next year's application start?-I've checked their website but it doesn't say. I don't wanna miss the deadline. Thanks a lot! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending