The Student Room Group

Is Maths and History Joint Honours a good idea?

I'm in year 12 looking at university courses and I'd love to study both Maths and History. There are some universities (with varied reputations) that offer a joint honours in these subjects but I can't decide whether this is a good idea or not. Does anyone know anyone who's done this or a combo like this, or done it themselves? Would you advise it?

Thanks so much.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it, though apart from the use of statistical models in history I can't think of an obvious crossover area.
Reply 2
It sounds very interesting in theory, I'm not sure how it works in practice since the two subjects don't have anything in common. You will have done a rough total of 1.5yrs of maths and 1.5yrs of history at the end, which is definitely not enough to do a maths postgrad course, and probably (don't know personally) not enough to do any postgrad history. I'm not sure what employers generally think about this, although I guess a degree like that shows that you're quite versatile.
Reply 3
Y__
It sounds very interesting in theory, I'm not sure how it works in practice since the two subjects don't have anything in common. You will have done a rough total of 1.5yrs of maths and 1.5yrs of history at the end, which is definitely not enough to do a maths postgrad course, and probably (don't know personally) not enough to do any postgrad history. I'm not sure what employers generally think about this, although I guess a degree like that shows that you're quite versatile.

I'm embarking on a BSc Economics & Mathematics (joint honours) degree in September. Bearing in mind, apart from the modules such as Introductory Economics, The British economy, economics in society, a lot of my economics classes are in mathematical economics, game theory, econometrics, statistical methods for economics etc. - would I be eligible for a postgraduate course in Mathematics?
Joint Honours degrees are useful for keeping your options open. I am studying a Joint Honours degree in English and Theology and have been informed by my university that this will provide a suitable foundation for embarking on postgraduate study in either discipline. Check with one of your lecturers if you are unsure. I think the requirement is normally that you have studied at least 50% of your degree in a subject - or have done a conversion course.
Reply 5
Prilynn
I'm embarking on a BSc Economics & Mathematics (joint honours) degree in September. Bearing in mind, apart from the modules such as Introductory Economics, The British economy, economics in society, a lot of my economics classes are in mathematical economics, game theory, econometrics, statistical methods for economics etc. - would I be eligible for a postgraduate course in Mathematics?

Really, it would be best to inquire at the specific universities you're considering for postgraduate study and see what they say.

From a quick browse of entry requirements for postgraduate mathematics courses, most state along the lines of "a high standard in a mathematically based undergraduate degree must have been achieved". Otherwise, others, as in the case of Warwick, say "It is possible to take the MSc in two years rather than the standard one year. This option is primarily for those who have some mathematical training but not at a sufficient level to pass a full set of postgraduate examinations after one year of study.".

As you can see, it will really depend on the course you want to study and also the institution in question.
Reply 6
kimoso
Does doing joint honours mean you can't do postgraduate in either of them?

That's not true in the least.
Sorry this is an old post, but I'm interested in doing a joint maths and history degree too. I really don't want to give up either subject and I don't know what career I want to go into yet.
Would this degree let me do a masters in either subject (ie masters in maths OR masters in history)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending