The Student Room Group

Economics at Uni with bad GCSE Maths and English

Alright so, back when I sat my GCSE's I didn't take them seriously enough, so ended up with 5's on both maths and English. Thereon, I didn't even dream of taking Maths A level. I recently got my Summer grades, which were Distinction, B in Biology and C in physics - and i am currently set to sit autumn exams for biology and physics.

Recently learnt about economics and out of all the degrees it seems the perfect fit, however I have not taken A level maths nor gotten a good enough GCSE maths grade to apply to decent Unis.

I'm conscious of the fact that some Unis do not require maths a level to do economics but they do require a grade 7 and up for GCSE's and in some cases a 6 in English.

So now I'm left to sit the autumn exams to reach an A for both subjects to apply for economics with bad GCSE's. Now, i thought that i could retake GCSE maths and English - as my grades were simply due to a lack of bother or laziness, but if i'm taking them in the summer (october i have autumn exams for a levels, i wouldnt possibly be ready for november) then uni applications will have long gone by and i'd have to take yet another gap year which i'm not too keen on. What do you reckon?

Scroll to see replies

You really should have an A-Level in Mathematics to study degree level Economics. Take a gap year, and apply again.

An A in A-Level mathematics supersedes your grade 5. I remember when I was applying, Warwick had a requirement of a grade 7 in Mathematics, which I did not have - but I did do A-Level mathematics. The admissions team assured me that the latest, more advanced qualification was looked at.
Economics at university is very mathematical. I would think if you struggled with GCSE maths you will probably struggle with an economics degree. It's not just a question of meeting requirements - you would probably be using A-level Maths and beyond content in an economics degree almost every day (once you learned it in first year anyway). That doesn't sound like something you would be able (or maybe even willing) to do. I would strongly suggest you think about subjects that fit your strengths better.
(edited 2 years ago)
In fact, I still have the email from Warwick, and it stated:

"Thank you for your enquiry and for your interest in study at the University of Warwick.

We would always accept your highest level qualification in a subject, so if you meet the A Level requirement then we would not be concerned with your GCSE grade.

We hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any further questions regarding the application process."

I would imagine that if this was true for one of the best Economics courses in the country, it would be true for other Economics schools, as well. In fact, from memory, most of the RG Economics courses that require A-Level maths, say nothing about GCSE Maths, but they do usually require an English pass at grade 4/C.
Original post by econhelp525
In fact, I still have the email from Warwick, and it stated:

"Thank you for your enquiry and for your interest in study at the University of Warwick.

We would always accept your highest level qualification in a subject, so if you meet the A Level requirement then we would not be concerned with your GCSE grade.

We hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any further questions regarding the application process."

I would imagine that if this was true for one of the best Economics courses in the country, it would be true for other Economics schools, as well. In fact, from memory, most of the RG Economics courses that require A-Level maths, say nothing about GCSE Maths, but they do usually require an English pass at grade 4/C.

MMM, i see - i then am of the opinion that choosing something which is related more to the subjects i excel in is far less troublesome than attempting mission impossible with Economics.
Original post by TheRisingFelix
Alright so, back when I sat my GCSE's I didn't take them seriously enough, so ended up with 5's on both maths and English. Thereon, I didn't even dream of taking Maths A level. I recently got my Summer grades, which were Distinction, B in Biology and C in physics - and i am currently set to sit autumn exams for biology and physics.

Recently learnt about economics and out of all the degrees it seems the perfect fit, however I have not taken A level maths nor gotten a good enough GCSE maths grade to apply to decent Unis.

I'm conscious of the fact that some Unis do not require maths a level to do economics but they do require a grade 7 and up for GCSE's and in some cases a 6 in English.

So now I'm left to sit the autumn exams to reach an A for both subjects to apply for economics with bad GCSE's. Now, i thought that i could retake GCSE maths and English - as my grades were simply due to a lack of bother or laziness, but if i'm taking them in the summer (october i have autumn exams for a levels, i wouldnt possibly be ready for november) then uni applications will have long gone by and i'd have to take yet another gap year which i'm not too keen on. What do you reckon?

I think with a 5 in Maths you would very likely struggle with the mathematical content even if you got onto a course. I suggest you consider Business studies as an alternative, if you don't want to do a Science subject linked to your A levels.
Applying for Economics - lots of useful advice : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/economics_degree
Reply 7
Hey, kinda intrigued by this email. Thanks for posting it.So they’re basically saying that they don’t put much/or any at all weightings on GCSE grades right?
Original post by JOrrrdAn
Hey, kinda intrigued by this email. Thanks for posting it.So they’re basically saying that they don’t put much/or any at all weightings on GCSE grades right?

No - they are saying their requirement of a grade 7 in Maths is satisfied by having A level Maths.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
No - they are saying their requirement of a grade 7 in Maths is satisfied by having A level Maths.

Ah ok, sorry. i didn’t read the entire thread.
correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t a level physics have some of a level maths level maths. as long as you can differentiate, you’ll be fine at uni. I think ppl here are referring to the likes of LSE but any uni that doesn’t ask for a level maths will not expect you to be the strongest mathematician and the content won’t be as mathematical. I know someone with a 6 in gcse maths doing a joint honours including econ at a good uni so maybe look into some joint honours
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ilililili
correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t a level physics have some of a level maths level maths. as long as you can differentiate, you’ll be fine at uni. I think ppl here are referring to the likes of LSE but any uni that doesn’t ask for a level maths will not expect you to be the strongest mathematician and the content won’t be as mathematical. I know someone with a 6 in gcse maths doing a joint honours including econ at a good uni so maybe look into some joint honours

Many good universities that don't require A-Level maths still require maths at grade 7, e.g. Nottingham. Even then, the mathematical content is bound to be rigorous and difficult, especially econometrics and econometric theory. Elementary knowledge of differentiation is not enough - a fluency in calculus is almost essential as this crops up everywhere from Statistics, to Microeconomics, to later stage Macroeconomics.

Statistics and probability in particular is very important to be able to grasp, because this is usually where people face significant difficulties - even people who did do A-Level maths.
Many good universities that don't require A-Level maths still require maths at grade 7, e.g. Nottingham. Even then, the mathematical content is bound to be rigorous and difficult, especially econometrics and econometric theory. Elementary knowledge of differentiation is not enough - a fluency in calculus is almost essential as this crops up everywhere from Statistics, to Microeconomics, to later stage Macroeconomics.

Statistics and probability in particular is very important to be able to grasp, because this is usually where people face significant difficulties - even people who did do A-Level maths.

OP got ABC in their mocks and 5’s at gcse. Nottingham is probably top 10 for econ in the country. Even if they did do maths it would be a stretch. Doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty of other unis in say the top 30 which are more achievable but still respectable.

if you get onto a course, the faculty thinks you’re capable of doing okay on it and they are going to have a much better idea at what is required for their course than anyone on here
(edited 2 years ago)
OP got ABC in their mocks and 5’s at gcse. Nottingham is probably top 10 for econ in the country. Even if they did do maths it would be a stretch. Doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty of other unis in say the top 30 which are more achievable but still respectable.

if you get onto a course, the faculty thinks you’re capable of doing okay on it and they are going to have a much better idea at what is required for their course than anyone on here

So if Nottingham is top 10 for Economics, still requires a grade 7 in maths - so I don't know what the relevance is of them being top 10 or not.

My point was that many good universities for Economics that don't require A-Level maths, still require a 7/A at GCSE. Another example is Surrey - ABB A-Level requirements, with a 7/A at GCSE maths (unless taken for A-Level).

To get on to the course, these requirements have to obviously be met first.
So if Nottingham is top 10 for Economics, still requires a grade 7 in maths - so I don't know what the relevance is of them being top 10 or not.

My point was that many good universities for Economics that don't require A-Level maths, still require a 7/A at GCSE. Another example is Surrey - ABB A-Level requirements, with a 7/A at GCSE maths (unless taken for A-Level).

To get on to the course, these requirements have to obviously be met first.

the relevance is that the example you used of a uni that doesn’t require a level maths is a top tier uni and that doesn’t mean OP can’t go to a good uni for econ.
The first uni that came to my head when I was thinking about unis viewed as around 20/30th was UEA. I just looked it up and they require ABB with a 5 in maths. I’m sure half of the unis in that sort of tier have similar requirements.
I really don’t get what you gain from trying to convince OP they aren’t good enough to study econ when it’s clearly possible to find unis that will accept them
the relevance is that the example you used of a uni that doesn’t require a level maths is a top tier uni and that doesn’t mean OP can’t go to a good uni for econ.
The first uni that came to my head when I was thinking about unis viewed as around 20/30th was UEA. I just looked it up and they require ABB with a 5 in maths. I’m sure half of the unis in that sort of tier have similar requirements.
I really don’t get what you gain from trying to convince OP they aren’t good enough to study econ when it’s clearly possible to find unis that will accept them

You completely missed my point. Skipping past what is/isn't a 'good' university, I did not say that OP was not good enough to study at university. What I did do was correct your misconceptions of what mathematics is actually required for a B.Sc Economics degree.

I just had a look at UEA's Economics programme, which includes:

Econometrics

Statistics

Mathematics

etc ...

I had a look at one of their past papers, too. I find it to be straight-forward, and quite easy for first year, but that's because I did A-level maths, and quite a lot of what's in the paper is rehashing A-level maths. If OP only got a 5 at GCSE, they'll need to work quite hard to keep up and understand the mathematical concepts in the course. It's not as easy maths as you think, even at a university such as UEA.
(edited 2 years ago)
You completely missed my point. Skipping past what is/isn't a 'good' university, I did not say that OP was not good enough to study at university. What I did do was correct your misconceptions of what mathematics is actually required for a B.Sc Economics degree.

I just had a look at UEA's Economics programme, which includes:

Econometrics

Statistics

Mathematics

etc ...

I had a look at one of their past papers, too. I find it to be straight-forward, and quite easy for first year, but that's because I did A-level maths, and quite a lot of what's in the paper is rehashing A-level maths. If OP only got a 5 at GCSE, they'll need to work quite hard to keep up and understand the mathematical concepts in the course. It's not as easy maths as you think, even at a university such as UEA.

i think most ppl will be in the same position tho. the ppl with a solid grade in maths a level will get into unis that require it. the people with high gcse maths grades will get into unis that require it. Entry requirements of a 5 in maths means they will only assume a 5 in maths level to begin with. I might be wrong but I don’t know why they’d offer the course to ppl in OPs position if it wasn’t accessible.

That is also why I’d recommend a joint honours or even a BA. I just think people on this site tend to forget not everyone is aiming for target unis and not everyone was top of their class at school but those people are exactly who slightly lower ranked, but still respectable, unis are for
What I did do was correct your misconceptions of what mathematics is actually required for a B.Sc Economics degree.

I hate to be that guy but I just had a little stalk of ur account and realised I’m in the same year as you, got 3 grades higher in gcse maths and a grade higher at a level and am also an econ undergrad so I’m not sure why you’re down to me like you invented game theory or something
(edited 2 years ago)
I hate to be that guy but I just had a little stalk of ur account and realised I’m in the same year as you, got 3 grades higher in gcse maths and a grade higher at a level and am also an econ undergrad so I’m not sure why you’re down to me like you invented game theory or something

Okay? Well done on getting a 9 at GCSE maths, I don't know why that's relevant to me, nor your A-Level maths grade. I just don't know why you're pedalling lies that the maths at undergraduate is nothing to worry about, if someone got a grade 5. I don't think you actually understand that the requirement is a bare minimum. At Nottingham, despite a grade 7 being the only thing required, A Level maths is preferred because of the incredibly fast pace they go at. Someone with a grade 5 needs to work extra hard.

I also think you're being more than ingenuine regarding the maths actually involved. Matrix algebra, integration, differentiation, linear algebra etc. is a lot more than the simple differentiation you mentioned. The simple truth is, and you should know this, is that Economics at university is maths and someone that doesn't enjoy maths should not study economics.
OP look into joint honours. I disagree that even straight honours is as mathematical as everyone here is making out and it’s certainly the least mathematical degree out of the ones that usually ask for maths a level. But in my experience, joint honours are even less mathematical. My course required an A in A level maths and even then isn’t too maths heavy - especially if you wanted to tactically pick modules to avoid the heavier maths modules. Ive heard at Loughborough you can get away with doing NO econometrics and barely going past A level maths difficulty on joint honours courses if you really tried. Don’t be put off. It’s only heavily mathematical at the top unis. If you had tried really hard at gcse and still only achieved a 5 I’d say don’t bother but if it’s genuinely due to a lack of effort, you’ll be fine so long as you’re willing to put the hours in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending