The Student Room Group

Would You Want to Work for MI6 (British Secret Intelligence Service) ?

Would you want to become James Bond (or a female equivalent if you're a girl)? http://www.mi6.gov.uk/output/introduction.html
Imagine the MI6 contacts you and says 'we think you'd be a perfect agent' and they'd want to post you to all sorts of countries and you'd get paid £20 k a month and your first mission would be to go to some Middle Eastern country to collect some vital intelligence while posing as an innocent uni student from Britain.
Would you take up this opportunity?

P.S. Remember what their website says about the criteria:

-You must be a British Citizen
-You will have to pass a medical and drugs test (haven't used Class A drugs (for example, Ecstasy, Cocaine etc) in the last 12 months and haven't used Class B/C drugs (for example, Amphetamines, Cannabis etc) in the last 6 months).
-You will need to be Security Cleared (PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IN ORDER TO OBTAIN DEVELOPED VETTING SECURITY CLEARANCE, YOU MUST BE OVER THE AGE OF 21 AT THE TIME OF ENTRY.)
-You will have to keep your identity secret from your family and friends and you understand that you will be made to "disappear" if you ever divulge to anyone that you're an agent for MI6 (lol!:wink: the last 'criteria' is just a joke - take it easy! pheww!)

Scroll to see replies

No I wouldn't want to. It sounds exciting, and the pay is amazing, but way too dangerous for me.

I'll just be content sitting at home and watching Chuck on telly :biggrin:
Sure.
Reply 3
No, too dangerous for me!
Reply 4
Yes yes I sure would!
Didn't Aggie MacKenzie from "How Clean is your House" used to work for MI6?

I wouldn't fancy it myself. I'd rather be blissfully ignorant than be put under the stress of that sort of job.
Why not. It sounds good.
Reply 7
Not really. Not only would I be defending something I don't really believe in, but I also suspect that it's nowhere near as glamorous and interesting as popular culture would have use believe.
Reply 8
Umm it's more like £30k a year, you don't get to do anything like James Bond and it mainly involves a lot of paperwork (depending on what role you play)

Intelligence Officers for MI5 at least do a lot of paperwork and although get to venture outside, it mostly involves sitting in a van or an office tapping phones or driving around following someone. Fun for a while but I'd imagine the slightly naff pay and long hours would get to you...
Reply 9
Yeah, £20k a month sounds a bit steep though?!
Obviously it wouldn't be like James Bond. 20k a Month? Uhh - YES PLEASE!
Reply 11
What's the difference between MI5 and MI6?
Reply 12
you would have to blend in. A white man in the middle of the middle east is not the best of undercover work. Someone with good linguistic and intellegence is a plus

and 2 answer the question, then yes i am going to apply after career in the police/army
Reply 13
Are you sure they pay £20k a month?

I don't really know if I would or not. It'd be fascinating, no doubt about it, but I'd hate not to even be able to tell my mum anything. MI5 would probably be more my thing, although I may well change my mind later down the line.
It's not like being james bond.

But i'd love to work for 6 or 5.
Tasha-x

MI5 is domestic I think.
Reply 16
Yes, with appropriate training, definitely.
Reply 17
SomeNextPirate
MI5 is domestic I think.

Which means? :confused: Sorry i'm being dim!
Reply 18
Yeah and i think I would be good at the job since I can speak two languages, am asian so could fit in well with a 'black area' and wouldnt look too out of place in a 'white area'. I think i have some good qualities like i can lie quite well etc.
I really wanted to be part of mi6 after watching Spooks.
Tasha-x

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARHARHARHARHARHAFAHSfhafhasdfiADSFHaIFt2w4789yhg

Latest

Trending

Trending