The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought hand guns are banned lol
The UK is already the country thats got the most restrictions on guns
Aren't they banned already?
Reply 23
Most guns used to actually kill people are illegal though and banning won't help at all because I could still easily buy a gun if I really wanted to kill someone with it.
Fine - anyone caught with a gun should be thrown into prison. No exceptions.

When has ever a gun protected someone? :rolleyes:
im so academic

USA:
According to the National Self Defense Survey conducted by Florida State University criminologists in 1994, the rate of Defensive Gun Uses can be projected nationwide to approximately 2.5 million per year -- one Defensive Gun Use every 13 seconds.

http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/noframedex.html
Mr Sparkles
I thought guns were already banned...
I mean air rifles aren't but don't people use hand guns to shoot people?

WTH?

Though, how ironic for a country that ban guns, and is having rising gun crime?! :rolleyes: And don't give me - "source for rising gun crime". Common sense will tell you it's on the rise.

OK, so tell me this - if guns are banned, how come there's still gun crime?

This shows that the Government is not tough on guns. They need to be more stronger over guns.
im so academic

They will be if it is an illegal firearm
im so academic
WTH?

Though, how ironic for a country that ban guns, and is having rising gun crime?! :rolleyes: And don't give me - "source for rising gun crime". Common sense will tell you it's on the rise.

This shows that the Government is not tough on guns. They need to be more stronger over guns.

Yeah of course there's gun crime, but that doesn't mean guns aren't banned. Just like there is drug crime, that doesn't mean drugs are legal. People buy guns from the black market or places, not from shops.
Reply 30
1) Guns are already banned

2) There would be many negatives to legalising guns, but I think that they are outweighed by the positives.
Reply 31
ScholarsInk
Yes. Because banning things gets rid of them...

My thought exactly. Weed, anyone?
im so academic

When Hitler tried to take over Europe i'm pretty sure guns were tantamount in defeating the invading forces. Thus guns were protecting the populace.
I like guns :smile:
Reply 34
"The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression." - Sir William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England.
Reply 35
Troll detected
im so academic
WTH?

There is still gun crime for the same reason that people still take illegal drugs.

"They need to be more stronger over guns"- longer sentences for gun crime dosen't help because people who commit gun crimes really aren't worrying about going to jail. People will get a hold of guns if they want them. So you propose that the government searches every single person in the UK. They already get a bad rap for searching ethnic minorities more often (where gun crime is more prevalent). If you were caught with a gun illegally at the moment then you would be jailed. So what do you propose they do?
Agreed. Guns should be banned/demolished.
michael89mtb
They will be if it is an illegal firearm

But what's the difference between an illegal firearm and a normal gun? They both kill, so, they're as bad as each other.
ThirstyForTea
Agreed. Guns should be banned/demolished.

They are banned unless they are for specific purpose (i.e. gamekeepers). Do you also propose we ban all knives- I don't think chefs would be too happy at that. Banning them is useless anyway as it is the illegal firearms that are being used to kill not the legitimately owned ones.

Latest

Trending

Trending