The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 1
having your own printer makes everything sooo much easier :awesome:

however nearly all the buildings have computer rooms with printers, it's pretty cheap and all you have to do is scan your uni card
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I use the Uni printers and it doesn't cost me very much at all. Maybe £5 a term? The Uni printers are laser and give you the option to print double-sided etc therefore much cheaper than having your own ink printer because they get through cartridges really quickly...unless you want to fork out alot of money for your own laser printer.
Laser printers don't necessarily mean a lot of money if you go for monochrome. I've found mine to be a lot more cost effective than any inkjet printer I've ever owned! Much much much faster as well.

I bought mine prior to going to uni just around 2 years ago and paid around £40. The ink lasted for a good 3000 pages and I can print a set of 10 pages for a lecture in just under a minute. I had to replace the toner the other week for I think about £17 and that's including delivery from an Amazon trader. That should last me around 4000 pages but based on the last toner ( a sample one, usually 2000 pages) hopefully a bit longer than that. On the price of £17 the cost is roughly half a pence per page. Include price of printer into that and it quickly goes up, but the more you use it the cheaper it gets. Include the price of replacement toner and having not used much of that the price of page is still under 2p which is the cost of a black and white page on a university printer. It pays for itself in convenience.

There's no real need to have colour lecture notes 99% of the time, mono will do. For when colour is needed, head to the university pc clusters. A colour laser printer is going to cost you a lot, probably in excess of £130, but a nice luxury if you're willing to splash out.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140044 - Recommended. A bit pricier though than the model I have which they no longer sell

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148076 - Should be just as good and at a better price. Not used a Samsung before though so not sure what they're like.

If you do get one, ensure you look around and buy a compatible toner as buying the official ones is where it does get expensive.
im in a coma
Laser printers don't necessarily mean a lot of money if you go for monochrome. I've found mine to be a lot more cost effective than any inkjet printer I've ever owned! Much much much faster as well.

I bought mine prior to going to uni just around 2 years ago and paid around £40. The ink lasted for a good 3000 pages and I can print a set of 10 pages for a lecture in just under a minute. I had to replace the toner the other week for I think about £17 and that's including delivery from an Amazon trader. That should last me around 4000 pages but based on the last toner ( a sample one, usually 2000 pages) hopefully a bit longer than that. On the price of £17 the cost is roughly half a pence per page. Include price of printer into that and it quickly goes up, but the more you use it the cheaper it gets. Include the price of replacement toner and having not used much of that the price of page is still under 2p which is the cost of a black and white page on a university printer. It pays for itself in convenience.

There's no real need to have colour lecture notes 99% of the time, mono will do. For when colour is needed, head to the university pc clusters. A colour laser printer is going to cost you a lot, probably in excess of £130, but a nice luxury if you're willing to splash out.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140044 - Recommended. A bit pricier though than the model I have which they no longer sell

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148076 - Should be just as good and at a better price. Not used a Samsung before though so not sure what they're like.

If you do get one, ensure you look around and buy a compatible toner as buying the official ones is where it does get expensive.

If you'd read my post properly, you would have understood that I was saying that laser printers are more cost-effective and faster than inkjet printers. However, 90% of printers that students bring to Uni with them will be inkjet because they are the cheaper printer to buy and students will always go for cheap won't they? Hence I said that the OP would be better off just using the laser printers on campus instead of getting ripped off for individual ink cartridges and paper or splashing out on your own printer.
Reply 5
I have my own printer, just because I prefer the ease of it. (Plus it was a present & as of yet I haven't had to replace the ink = v cheap). The ones in computer rooms you put money on your uni card via debit card online. If you don't like the idea of that (& many don't) the guild print shop charges up front at the same price (5p per black & white page). The only downside to having your own printer is that people often take advantage of it. I'm all for helping out friends, but printing still costs & most of my friends are happy to pay a little towards the ink & are grateful they don't have to go on to campus.
sophisticated
If you'd read my post properly, you would have understood that I was saying that laser printers are more cost-effective and faster than inkjet printers. However, 90% of printers that students bring to Uni with them will be inkjet because they are the cheaper printer to buy and students will always go for cheap won't they? Hence I said that the OP would be better off just using the laser printers on campus instead of getting ripped off for individual ink cartridges and paper or splashing out on your own printer.

I think that it may be you who needs to follow the example of reading posts again.

If you do, you'll see you never mentioned anything about having your own laser printer other than 'forking out a lot of money for your own'. If you then read my post, you'll notice I disputed that they cost a lot of money. That said, it is a matter of opinion what is a lot of money for a printer. Considering you're looking at £45 for a decent inkjet, £30 for a basic thing, I would say that they are not expensive, particularly when evaluating the long term advantages over inkjets. Regarding students going for cheap, it's not always the student who buys the printer. Often parents will buy that kind of thing as a moving in present - I know plenty of people whose parents did this for them. Furthermore, I actually sold some whilst working at a major electronic chain. Some students have very nice printers indeed! Certainly not the cheapest! I would agree that 90% of students would have an inkjet, I’m probably in a small minority of people who do have laserjets.

I don't recall you mentioning faster? Nor did you argue that laser printers are in general better just that the clusters have laser printers which are cheap to use. Doesn’t mean they don’t cost the university a lot, which is beside my point because they’re definitely a lot cheaper than inkjets would be. On the matter of understanding that you’re saying they’re more cost effective and more efficient this isn’t strictly true, although if I do understand it’s likely to be because I’ve sold the things and have experience using them myself.
If you read my post again, I argued that in the long run buying a laser printer is roughly the same as using a cluster printer. I didn't mention the convenience factor, but that's another thing to look at. How would the original poster feel about having to walk up to campus every time they print something? Admittedly, I didn't include the cost of a bit of paper in my calculations. 500 pages of Tesco Value paper for just under £2.00. 0.4p per page.

Regarding getting ripped off - that's why I advocated getting a laser rather than an inkjet. That's also why I warned she look for compatible toner rather than original manufacturer toner due to the difference in price - up to 3x as much for original.

All in all, it's a matter of how much you value having your own printer. Having to go to a cluster each time I wanted to print something would drive me mad. That said, I also use my printer for personal stuff, so sometimes I would have a 35 minute round trip to go and print something off. I consider a printer a necessity. Whether the original poster should buy one is reflective of how much they value a printer of their own. My argument was that it isn't necessarily expensive to own a laser printer, and offered a cost breakdown.

I apologise if my posts upset you but I’m merely answering the question as helpfully as I can. I apologise if I’ve repeated anything you’ve said, although personally I would argue I haven’t. Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter because the more this is discussed, the more information the original poster will receive. An example from this post I picked up on the fact I excluded paper from my calculations.
im in a coma
I think that it may be you who needs to follow the example of reading posts again.

If you do, you'll see you never mentioned anything about having your own laser printer other than 'forking out a lot of money for your own'. If you then read my post, you'll notice I disputed that they cost a lot of money. That said, it is a matter of opinion what is a lot of money for a printer. Considering you're looking at £45 for a decent inkjet, £30 for a basic thing, I would say that they are not expensive, particularly when evaluating the long term advantages over inkjets. Regarding students going for cheap, it's not always the student who buys the printer. Often parents will buy that kind of thing as a moving in present - I know plenty of people whose parents did this for them. Furthermore, I actually sold some whilst working at a major electronic chain. Some students have very nice printers indeed! Certainly not the cheapest! I would agree that 90% of students would have an inkjet, I’m probably in a small minority of people who do have laserjets.

I don't recall you mentioning faster? Nor did you argue that laser printers are in general better just that the clusters have laser printers which are cheap to use. Doesn’t mean they don’t cost the university a lot, which is beside my point because they’re definitely a lot cheaper than inkjets would be. On the matter of understanding that you’re saying they’re more cost effective and more efficient – this isn’t strictly true, although if I do understand it’s likely to be because I’ve sold the things and have experience using them myself.
If you read my post again, I argued that in the long run buying a laser printer is roughly the same as using a cluster printer. I didn't mention the convenience factor, but that's another thing to look at. How would the original poster feel about having to walk up to campus every time they print something? Admittedly, I didn't include the cost of a bit of paper in my calculations. 500 pages of Tesco Value paper for just under £2.00. 0.4p per page.

Regarding getting ripped off - that's why I advocated getting a laser rather than an inkjet. That's also why I warned she look for compatible toner rather than original manufacturer toner due to the difference in price - up to 3x as much for original.

All in all, it's a matter of how much you value having your own printer. Having to go to a cluster each time I wanted to print something would drive me mad. That said, I also use my printer for personal stuff, so sometimes I would have a 35 minute round trip to go and print something off. I consider a printer a necessity. Whether the original poster should buy one is reflective of how much they value a printer of their own. My argument was that it isn't necessarily expensive to own a laser printer, and offered a cost breakdown.

I apologise if my posts upset you but I’m merely answering the question as helpfully as I can. I apologise if I’ve repeated anything you’ve said, although personally I would argue I haven’t. Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter because the more this is discussed, the more information the original poster will receive. An example from this post – I picked up on the fact I excluded paper from my calculations.

Firstly, we seem to both be saying that laser printers are better than inkjets, so why are you still arguing back at me?

Secondly, what is that first bit in bold all about? It doesn't make sense. Don't you mean laser printers? Granted, some people may be able to afford to buy their own laser printers but I for one could not because my Daddy doesn't buy everything for me unfortunately. I already own an inkjet printer that came as part of a package when I bought my own laptop, and I didn't bring it to Uni precisely because it drank ink like it was going out of fashion and always playing up saying that the ink cartridges were empty when infact they weren't and I decided I couldn't be faffed with it. Also, I don't know a single person who had a printer bought for them when they moved in. I also don't know a single person who complained about the inconvenience of not having their own personal printer. But again its all down to personal preference and how organised you are.

I for one have never found printing on campus a problem. I don't find it that difficult to plan ahead and when I've got a spare hour to kill on campus between lectures etc I'll head to a cluster, play on Facebook etc and print whatever I need to be printed for the next week or so. When it comes to printing essays off, you'll be going up on campus to hand them in anyway so arguably thats not a massive inconvenience either. I can't think of a situation where it would be necessary to go up to campus just to print something off, and if there were it would be down to very very poor organisation on one's own part. Sure, sometimes it is necessary for me to go up to campus a bit earlier just before my lecture or class to print something off but I find that more convenient than having my own printer to maintain and lug back and forward for the holidays etc.

I get your argument, but granted that people who come to Uni will already be armed with their own inkjet printer or may not have picked up on the advantages of laser over inkjet....thats what I was trying to get across. I was trying to put the message across of not to buy an inkjet printer just to avoid printing on campus, because printing on campus will probably be cheaper than running an inket printer at home. UNLESS you want to pay for your own laser printer, which are more expensive than inkjet, but as you said, my argument from the off was that laser is better than inkjet, and that it would not be necessarily a good idea to buy an inkjet printer instead of relying on the campus printers. Perhaps I was silly in assuming you'd pick up on this. Also what is "cheap" for one person may not be cheap for someone else. Its all a matter of relativity. I for one would rather print on campus than pay £40+ for my own printer, whether it be laser or inkjet.

You haven't offended me, but you have retaliated in a more defensive manner than was necessary considering we're basically saying the same thing.
sophisticated
Firstly, we seem to both be saying that laser printers are better than inkjets, so why are you still arguing back at me?
Because you said I said the same thing as you in a manner I deemed provocative, when I felt I was saying something different. I'm arguing for something slightly different to you - go for a laser printer. You're arguing for no printers at all, I'm saying it doesn't have to be that way because they can be cost effective, and not that expensive either. You're ultimately arguing that they're not, but again as we have both now said many times it's a value judgment, and I'm giving the points for having one.

Secondly, what is that first bit in bold all about? It doesn't make sense. Don't you mean laser printers?
By basic thing I mean the entry level inkjet is £30. I forgot the price of the entry laser, £45, same as a decent inkjet. I was trying to equate the two as being pretty much similarly priced these days.

Granted, some people may be able to afford to buy their own laser printers but I for one could not because my Daddy doesn't buy everything for me unfortunately. I already own an inkjet printer that came as part of a package when I bought my own laptop, and I didn't bring it to Uni precisely because it drank ink like it was going out of fashion and always playing up saying that the ink cartridges were empty when infact they weren't and I decided I couldn't be faffed with it. Also, I don't know a single person who had a printer bought for them when they moved in. I also don't know a single person who complained about the inconvenience of not having their own personal printer. But again its all down to personal preference and how organised you are.

As you say, it's down to personal preference, I would feel irked if I had to make special detours to use a cluster printer. Then again, I'm usually at my home on my laptop doing work so it's convenient to be able to print on the word go. I find with my laserjet I have to replace the toner every 2 years, ink isn't a problem for me. My printers have always been paid for by myself, as have the toners at £17 a pop - of which I've only ever needed the one. As for planning ahead, as your second paragraph alluded to, I like the convenience of not having to do so. It's a cost I'm more than willing to pay - but then I'm more prone to wasting money on technological goods than most.

I get your argument, but granted that people who come to Uni will already be armed with their own inkjet printer or may not have picked up on the advantages of laser over inkjet....thats what I was trying to get across. I was trying to put the message across of not to buy an inkjet printer just to avoid printing on campus, because printing on campus will probably be cheaper than running an inket printer at home.

And the person that is asking the question appears to have neither. So I'm half agreeing with you - don't bother with expensive inkjets, but at the same time don't ignore laserjets, they're brilliant! That's what I'm trying to do, your argument takes inkjets, lumps them in with laserjets and targets them at the same time.

UNLESS you want to pay for your own laser printer, which are more expensive than inkjet, but as you said, my argument from the off was that laser is better than inkjet, and that it would not be necessarily a good idea to buy an inkjet printer instead of relying on the campus printers. Perhaps I was silly in assuming you'd pick up on this. Also what is "cheap" for one person may not be cheap for someone else. Its all a matter of relativity. I for one would rather print on campus than pay £40+ for my own printer, whether it be laser or inkjet.

Which brings me back to my post number one, my original objective - to challenge that lasers are much more expensive! Only when you look at colour lasers do they become seriously expensive. But again, the value judgment issue comes in here. To me, £15 extra on a printer isn't much more expensive, clearly to you it is.
im in a coma
Because you said I said the same thing as you in a manner I deemed provocative, when I felt I was saying something different. I'm arguing for something slightly different to you - go for a laser printer. You're arguing for no printers at all, I'm saying it doesn't have to be that way because they can be cost effective, and not that expensive either. You're ultimately arguing that they're not, but again as we have both now said many times it's a value judgment, and I'm giving the points for having one.

By basic thing I mean the entry level inkjet is £30. I forgot the price of the entry laser, £45, same as a decent inkjet. I was trying to equate the two as being pretty much similarly priced these days.

As you say, it's down to personal preference, I would feel irked if I had to make special detours to use a cluster printer. Then again, I'm usually at my home on my laptop doing work so it's convenient to be able to print on the word go. I find with my laserjet I have to replace the toner every 2 years, ink isn't a problem for me. My printers have always been paid for by myself, as have the toners at £17 a pop - of which I've only ever needed the one. As for planning ahead, as your second paragraph alluded to, I like the convenience of not having to do so. It's a cost I'm more than willing to pay - but then I'm more prone to wasting money on technological goods than most.

And the person that is asking the question appears to have neither. So I'm half agreeing with you - don't bother with expensive inkjets, but at the same time don't ignore laserjets, they're brilliant! That's what I'm trying to do, your argument takes inkjets, lumps them in with laserjets and targets them at the same time.

Which brings me back to my post number one, my original objective - to challenge that lasers are much more expensive! Only when you look at colour lasers do they become seriously expensive. But again, the value judgment issue comes in here. To me, £15 extra on a printer isn't much more expensive, clearly to you it is.

I'm bored of this now. I wasn't arguing for no printer specifically, I was arguing for no printer instead of buying one's own INKJET printer. I said originally that laser printers are better because they can print double sided (less paper) and use less ink etc but also assumed that a laser printer would be out of question for most students because we are poor after all and I for one would have to pay for my own printer if I wanted one and would not consider paying more than £35-£40 for my own printer. Granted I made assumptions about the amount of people that could afford to or who would want to pay MORE for a laser printer as opposed to an inkjet. I also am not terribly educated as to the price of laser printers, so perhaps it would be justified to buy your own instead of relying on printing on campus, but I am correct in my assumption that lasers are more expensive than inkjets no?

Also still there are some people out there who would think "Oh noesss I can't possibly print on campus, must go and buy myself a printer" and proceed to buy a high-maintenance ink-slurping printer which in my own experience are more trouble than they're worth.
Reply 10
Wow! this is a pretty intense debate... about printers :biggrin:
Its mainly a misunderstanding I assure you.... :smile:
Reply 12
Sam...
Wow! this is a pretty intense debate... about printers :biggrin:

Welcome to Exeter :awesome:

we are serious business
Its just like the ensuite or no ensuite debate really.
People who have lived without ensuites (or in this case, their own printer) will argue to the death that you don't need your own at all.
Whereas people who have their own toilet or printer will argue that its impossible to live without because they don't know any other way.
I've lied at Uni with and without a printer xD I was given one for Xmas in my first year. It is so much easier to have your own - first term I was forever running to my flatmate asking to borrow his...
Reply 15
I have my own printer and so do all my friends. I personally would recommend bringing one with you if you can- its so much more convenient. If you print everything in fast draft the ink lasts for ages. I only used half in a term and I do quite a bit of printing.
Reply 16
I go to my subject building and nick theirs for anything. I also managed to get the photocopier code.
Completely free printing and copying.
Reply 17
I used the print shop printers everytime I needed to... 5p a sheet, really didn't come to much! Maybe a fiver for the whole year? I reckon it's cheaper than having to buy your own paper and cartridges etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending