The Student Room Group

Napoleon's economic reforms?

ok so i know i've posted a lot of napoleon threads... but this is the last i promise! am sooo sick of him and his domestic policy

I'm on my very last section of my OCR A2 coursework, which is on whether he is the heir or betrayer of the ideals of the revolution...

I know what his economic reforms were, obviously, but I don't know how to link them very well to the revolutionary ideals, and more importantly, any historian's opinions on the reforms for critical evaluation?

help please!
Reply 1
im studyin napoleon but im at as level i wish i could have helped sorry, have u got the heinemann books there like study guides for as/a2...they are fantastic try them x
Reply 2
What where his economic reforms?
Does it have to be just his economic policies or can it be how his reign in general showed as an heir or a betrayer of the revolution?

I dont know what his economic policies were but just say whether it followed his authoritarian rule or it followed the principles of the rev' ~ depending on which one will what he was i.e. if he tried to make the tax system fairer then it would be pro-revolution as its trying to get equality

Hope that sort of helps .. doing french rev' coursework for ages and still not finished - def the worst period of history i have ever studied !!
Hannah_Jeffries
def the worst period of history i have ever studied !!

France 1789-1848 is my favourite period :p: :biggrin:

As for Napoleons economic reforms:

-Re-introduced a metallic currency
-Got rid of the Assignate paper currency.
-The Continental system to prevent trade to the UK.
-Actively attempted to lower inflation
- Created the Bank of France in 1800
-System based on sales and land taxes.
-Used tariffs to priviledge France over the other states of the Empire.
davireland
France 1789-1848 is my favourite period :p: :biggrin:
QUOTE]

Fair enough :rolleyes: Maybe i just hate it because its coursework and been dragged out over 7months of history lessons:eek3:
sorry i dont know what i did to the quote ??
Hannah_Jeffries
Fair enough :rolleyes: Maybe i just hate it because its coursework and been dragged out over 7months of history lessons:eek3:

Lol, I can understand that, there are worse periods that you could be doing namely the Industrial Revolution :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Hmm, all I can tell you is that at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender.

Sadly I have to say I have met my destiny in quite a similar way.
Reply 9
You could also argue that by not reintroducing the tax exemptions held by the nobility and and clergy prior to the revolution he maintained some of the ideals of the revolution ie equality

Latest

Trending

Trending