The Student Room Group

DSA (bit of a stupid question.....)

My mother has been asking me if I should apply for DSA but I don't know how justified it is. I apparently have hypermobility syndrome which led to numerous patella dislocations at the end of last year (and occasionally fingers but that's not such a big problem) this led to me developing CPRS in that leg (basically constant, intense pain) so I've been on crutches since October and will be until it sorts itself out which could be a few months or longer and then the underlying kneecap instability might need to be sorted anyway. I don't think I can apply because the CPRS might not be that long term a problem and the knee could potentially be operated on at some point in the future (but that wouldn't guarantee a lack of further problems).

Am I eligible to apply? And yes - it has had an obvious impact on my studies/life, I just don't know if a (potentially) short term condition is eligible.

Sorry for the essay.....
Reply 1
tarnishedpenny
My mother has been asking me if I should apply for DSA but I don't know how justified it is. I apparently have hypermobility syndrome which led to numerous patella dislocations at the end of last year (and occasionally fingers but that's not such a big problem) this led to me developing CPRS in that leg (basically constant, intense pain) so I've been on crutches since October and will be until it sorts itself out which could be a few months or longer and then the underlying kneecap instability might need to be sorted anyway. I don't think I can apply because the CPRS might not be that long term a problem and the knee could potentially be operated on at some point in the future (but that wouldn't guarantee a lack of further problems).

Am I eligible to apply? And yes - it has had an obvious impact on my studies/life, I just don't know if a (potentially) short term condition is eligible.

Sorry for the essay.....

I reckon you should be eligible to apply - it's worth a try anyway. I've heard of other people with hypermobility syndrome getting DSA.

CPRS is evil! (I had it in my foot for about a year before I could get off crutches again and panic everytime the sensation is slightly weird in that foot as I really don't want it again!)

I don't currently get DSA for my joints but they're getting a lot worse at the moment so I may try and get some help for the problems they bring at my next needs assessment.
Reply 2
If they cause you problems AT ALL in your studies, it's worth a try.

I had the same doubts- I wasn't sure if it was worth me applying, and I ended up only being told in time to apply for my third year that it was indeed possible.

My mom told me "you have troubles enough, let them make it easier for you", and that's what I did.
Generally for something to be classed as a 'disability' rather than an illness it needs to last for over a year.

Which at first glance may suggest not, however your hypermobility syndrome is a permanent condition, so that would potentially be eligible, and you could get support for the problems associated with it.

You may as well apply, worst case is they say no.
Reply 4
Okay - thanks everyone! I'll check with my consultant next time I see him to see what he thinks...because if it all stems from the HMS it might be worth it. I'm just epicly fed up.

Latest