The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexmagpie

Basically, my question is that I know I should be pairing this with resistance training... however until I find a job, I simply can't afford to join a gym

Do you live in a city?

If so I'm sure you can find an affordable gym. If you look around you can usually get student discount, £15 a month or so maximum, for a decent gym. Alternatively you can just go mega budget..
Thegym is only £10 a month, with no contract, and no joining fee if you have NUS - Admittedly it isn't a very good gym in the grand scheme of things, but it will suit your needs.
Hi, I'm a complete beginner here and I've decided that I have to push my laziness aside and get active! I'll be honest, I've never been to the gym before in my life and I have zilch money to get a membership though I hope to join one when I move to uni in about 2 months-ish. I used to play football in development teams and such till I was 15 and I was training 5/7 days of the week so I still have a lot of leg strength. My dad used to do body building and has lot's of weights which I have access to now. My first question is this, how do I know what I should be lifting? is it just trial and error till I find out what pushes me but not enough to injure? I really do no exercise so I was hoping to ease into a good exercise plan. I've went cycling a couple of times for an hour in the past month so I'm gonna do that twice a week with a mixture of weights (probably 2 nights a week) and having a kick around with a football till I can hopefully join the uni team. Does that sound ok? That would be at least 4 nights a week of doing something for definite. Any suggestions of what to do would be great and very appreciated! :biggrin:
Ok, first year at university has ruined me a little bit, and I'm aiming to get back the figure I had before going, albeit a little more "toned" (I'm sorry! I know that word is hated here!).

Anyway, I have drastically cut down on the booze, I'm pretty much tee total now and I'm doing about an hours cardio at the gym 5-6 times week.

I do resistance training, about 10-15 fifteen minutes on the weight machines, but I have heard free weights are superior to weights machines. I'm just wondering how much time I should dedicate to free weights and if anyone could give me some example exercises :smile: I'm booking a personal trainer session in September as I am away for all of August ( I will still be working out) but I'd like some starting points :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Free weights are so much more beneficial; the balancing and form is harder to do therefore you can only do lighter weights than that on a machine which does a lot of the work for you.

Of course you could do a full body free weights workout, but personally I tend to use machines mainly for back and triceps and legs, and some for chest, with little for biceps.

However its completely your decision and how you feel about it, but free weights are way harder and much more beneficial.
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Ok, first year at university has ruined me a little bit, and I'm aiming to get back the figure I had before going, albeit a little more "toned" (I'm sorry! I know that word is hated here!).

Anyway, I have drastically cut down on the booze, I'm pretty much tee total now and I'm doing about an hours cardio at the gym 5-6 times week.

I do resistance training, about 10-15 fifteen minutes on the weight machines, but I have heard free weights are superior to weights machines. I'm just wondering how much time I should dedicate to free weights and if anyone could give me some example exercises :smile: I'm booking a personal trainer session in September as I am away for all of August ( I will still be working out) but I'd like some starting points :biggrin:

Which machines? How much weight? How many sets/reps? Are you struggling on the last reps or completing them comfortably?
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Which machines? How much weight? How many sets/reps? Are you struggling on the last reps or completing them comfortably?

Leg press: 3 sets, I do one at 30 and then 2 at 40 for 25 reps each.
Abductor: 2 sets, for 25 reps at a weight of 20
LAT: 2 sets, for 25 reps at a weight of 20
Chest press: 2 sets for 25 reps at a weight of 10
Shoulder press: same as the chest press.

I do them comfortably in the sense that I can feel the burn but I am not straining anything.

Your resistance training to cardio ratio is off; 6 hours a week compared to maybe 1 or 2 hours tops of resistance training is a joke.

There's no hard and fast rule on it, but you should aim to get at least two 1 hour sessions in per week, if not 3 i.e. at least 2 hours of resistance training per week. Cardio needn't take hours either, if you started doing HIIT which is far less mentally tiresome, more effective, enjoyable, and generally more awesome.

Resistance training is not something you can tack on to the end of your workout for 15 minutes. Do it properly, or don't do it. For energy and performance's sake, you're best off doing your cardio separate from your resistance training i.e. have separate resistance training sessions.

You get out what you put in - freeweights are harder, but yield better results. Read the stickies, everything you could want to know is in there, specifically Powerlifter's thread on "getting toned" for the ladies. In order to improve muscle definition ("get more toned"), you need to decrease your bodyfat % level, and maintain what muscle mass you currently have, if not slowly aim to increase your lean muscle mass over the next couple of years (a slow and arduous process for women).

On a positive note though, good job on cutting down on the alcohol - that stuff is poison :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Leg press: 3 sets, I do one at 30 and then 2 at 40 for 25 reps each.
Abductor: 2 sets, for 25 reps at a weight of 20
LAT: 2 sets, for 25 reps at a weight of 20
Chest press: 2 sets for 25 reps at a weight of 10
Shoulder press: same as the chest press.
I do them comfortably in the sense that I can feel the burn but I am not straining anything.

"The burn" means nothing, it's a useless indicator, and illustrates that you're doing too many reps. 25 reps is excessive, and you should not be comfortable doing resistance training; not saying you should be in pain, but it should not be comfortable - it should be highly strenuous. Read the stickies, run a caloric deficit, get yourself on a weightlifting program for a beginner, doing 3 sessions per week, with 3 or more barbell compound movements (bench press, overhead/military press, deadlift, bak squat, chinups/pullups, dips) per session, doing 3 to 5 sets of 5 to 12 repetitions (i.e. 4x12, 3x8, 3x5, 4x8, etc), with a weight that is challenging and so that you cannot complete another rep and that your last rep is very difficult, but not to the point of sacrificing good form, and do cardio as many times a week as you want or your body will allow you to recover from (this won't be as much as you want, if you're lifting sufficiently heavy). If you want to use freeweights, you're going to need to understand the lift you're trying to perform - lifting is not something you unfortunately just do, although a lot of people do. You're really best off educating yourself and spending a decent amount of time researching lifting before doing it, and never stop learning about it.

Resistance training is the best thing a woman can do for their physique IMO.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HFerguson
"The burn" means nothing, it's a useless indicator, and illustrates that you're doing too many reps. 25 reps is excessive, and you should not be comfortable doing resistance training; not saying you should be in pain, but it should not be comfortable - it should be highly strenuous. Read the stickies, run a caloric deficit, get yourself on a weightlifting program for a beginner, doing 3 sessions per week, with 3 or more barbell compound movements (bench press, overhead/military press, deadlift, bak squat, chinups/pullups, dips) per session, doing 3 to 5 sets of 5 to 12 repetitions (i.e. 4x12, 3x8, 3x5, 4x8, etc), with a weight that is challenging and so that you cannot complete another rep and that your last rep is very difficult, but not to the point of sacrificing good form, and do cardio as many times a week as you want or your body will allow you to recover from (this won't be as much as you want, if you're lifting sufficiently heavy). If you want to use freeweights, you're going to need to understand the lift you're trying to perform - lifting is not something you unfortunately just do, although a lot of people do. You're really best off educating yourself and spending a decent amount of time researching lifting before doing it, and never stop learning about it.

Resistance training is the best thing a woman can do for their physique IMO.

I think you misunderstood me when I said comfortable, I just meant I am not putting my back out when I am doing them. I can do them and I know the next weight up would simply be too heavy for me.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I will probably invest in a personal trainer session in the beneath future then to ensure I am doing them correctly :smile:

Your resistance training to cardio ratio is off; 6 hours a week compared to maybe 1 or 2 hours tops of resistance training is a joke.

There's no hard and fast rule on it, but you should aim to get at least two 1 hour sessions in per week, if not 3 i.e. at least 2 hours of resistance training per week. Cardio needn't take hours either, if you started doing HIIT which is far less mentally tiresome, more effective, enjoyable, and generally more awesome.

Resistance training is not something you can tack on to the end of your workout for 15 minutes. Do it properly, or don't do it. For energy and performance's sake, you're best off doing your cardio separate from your resistance training i.e. have separate resistance training sessions.

You get out what you put in - freeweights are harder, but yield better results. Read the stickies, everything you could want to know is in there, specifically Powerlifter's thread on "getting toned" for the ladies. In order to improve muscle definition ("get more toned"), you need to decrease your bodyfat % level, and maintain what muscle mass you currently have, if not slowly aim to increase your lean muscle mass over the next couple of years (a slow and arduous process for women).

On a positive note though, good job on cutting down on the alcohol - that stuff is poison :smile:

Bearing in mind my primary goal at the moment is to lose weight, and thus burn fat and then start building the muscle.

Also, I don't stick it on the end of my workout. I usually warm up first by doing cardio for twenty minutes, do the weight machines then finish off cardio :smile: thanks for the help though!

I think you misunderstood me when I said comfortable, I just meant I am not putting my back out when I am doing them. I can do them and I know the next weight up would simply be too heavy for me.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I will probably invest in a personal trainer session in the beneath future then to ensure I am doing them correctly :smile:

If you're doing 25 reps then it's not heavy enough. You're just doing endurance.

Yeah, you're nowhere close to putting your back out, you're doing 25 reps, it's training for endurance. Pick a weight you can only do 8 reps with. You're not going to die. Be weary, just because someone is a personal trainer doesn't mean they know how to perform exercises correctly.

Bearing in mind my primary goal at the moment is to lose weight, and thus burn fat and then start building the muscle.

Dieting without resistance exercise is asking for muscle loss. Resistance exercise is a key part of exercise for all individuals, it's not something you want to neglect if you ever hope of having a decent physique. If you have enough energy to do cardio after resistance exercise, you're not putting enough effort into your resistance exercise. A personal trainer might do you some good though, teach you what it means to push yourself for once.
Original post by silent ninja
If you're doing 25 reps then it's not heavy enough. You're just doing endurance.

Sooooooo up my weights and do less reps?
Yeah, you're nowhere close to putting your back out, you're doing 25 reps, it's training for endurance. Pick a weight you can only do 8 reps with. You're not going to die. Be weary, just because someone is a personal trainer doesn't mean they know how to perform exercises correctly.

Dieting without resistance exercise is asking for muscle loss. Resistance exercise is a key part of exercise for all individuals, it's not something you want to neglect if you ever hope of having a decent physique. If you have enough energy to do cardio after resistance exercise, you're not putting enough effort into your resistance exercise. A personal trainer might do you some good though, teach you what it means to push yourself for once.

Hahaha, ah ok, thanks for the advice! I'll put it in to effect as of tomorrow! Yeah, I think a personal trainer is definitely on the cards now before I go away.
So I have read in some places that working a girls obliques will make them thicker and the torso more 'blocky' and less curvy but in other places that working them will shrink and tighten the waist therefore enhancing curves... Is anyone able to give me a proper answer?? I understand that girls don't bulk like guys which make me wonder if the first isnt true but I also can't see how working them will necessarily pull the waist in. Thanks in advance :h:
Working your obliques is likely to make no difference to your shape, losing or gaining fat will.
Original post by Carpediemxx
Working your obliques is likely to make no difference to your shape, losing or gaining fat will.

Sorry I meant combined with fat loss...the end result
Original post by stephie.u3
Sorry I meant combined with fat loss...the end result

Being a girl, you will not get bulky sides, if you are very fit with minimal abdominal fat, you will just get decent definition on the obliques, which will just highlight whatever body shape you have...there is no definitive answer for everyone, if you have a narrow waist, then you will still have a narrow waist. It will be relative to whatever fat loss you achieve. I.e if you have fat hips and lose a lot of weight, and work your obliques, you may appear thin and straight up and down, but your actual oblique size won't have changed significantly. Equally, if you have a wide pelvis, and a fat abdomen, losing the abdominal fat will make you appear curvy
Original post by Carpediemxx
Being a girl, you will not get bulky sides, if you are very fit with minimal abdominal fat, you will just get decent definition on the obliques, which will just highlight whatever body shape you have...there is no definitive answer for everyone, if you have a narrow waist, then you will still have a narrow waist. It will be relative to whatever fat loss you achieve. I.e if you have fat hips and lose a lot of weight, and work your obliques, you may appear thin and straight up and down, but your actual oblique size won't have changed significantly. Equally, if you have a wide pelvis, and a fat abdomen, losing the abdominal fat will make you appear curvy

Fair enough, thank you:biggrin:
Original post by stephie.u3
Fair enough, thank you:biggrin:

Your welcome, sorry if the response wasn't what you wanted to hear!

Quick Reply

Latest