The Student Room Group

STEP 2006 Solutions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aramis8
Thank you ever so much, as a follow up. How do we know that the above integer is infact the nearest one?

(sorry, it might be obvious)

It is it because (2N-0.5)^(-k) is less than half?

That's one argument. (Another is "the distance from Ak to the specific integer Ak+Bk is less than (2N-0.5)^-k, so the distance from Ak to the closest integer can't be more than the distance to Ak+Bk and so is also less than (2N-0.5)^-k).
Original post by aramis8
Sorry to keep bothering you and I promise this will be the last question, I don't understand the recurrence relation SimonM wrote. How does k fit into the recurrence relation?

Thanks

Since you've deleted your post (don't do that! It makes the discussion very difficult to follow for anyone reading it later) I can't see exactly what SimonM did as I reply. But it's basically setting up a 2nd order recurrence relation with fundamental solutions corresponding to N+sqrt(N^2-1) and it's reciprocal.

If you didn't understand that, don't worry - it's not in the A-level syllabus and I'm sure is not the expected solution. Instead of doing that, you should be able to generalise what you did in the first part to show that Ak+1/Ak is an integer.
Reply 122
Original post by DFranklin
Since you've deleted your post (don't do that! It makes the discussion very difficult to follow for anyone reading it later) I can't see exactly what SimonM did as I reply. But it's basically setting up a 2nd order recurrence relation with fundamental solutions corresponding to N+sqrt(N^2-1) and it's reciprocal.

If you didn't understand that, don't worry - it's not in the A-level syllabus and I'm sure is not the expected solution. Instead of doing that, you should be able to generalise what you did in the first part to show that Ak+1/Ak is an integer.

Thank you ever so much. Really appreciate it.

(sorry for deleting post)
Original post by DFranklin
There were over 40 questions set in 2006, it would be helpful for you to state which one you are talking about!

So in the STEP III 2006 Q9 where did 2v squared come from? I understand there is a v squared and (rtheta) squared but I don't get the 2 behind the v, thanks.
Original post by dr.rayyan99
So in the STEP III 2006 Q9 where did 2v squared come from? I understand there is a v squared and (rtheta) squared but I don't get the 2 behind the v, thanks.

The speed (squared) of B is
v^2 + (r*thetadot)^2
where v = rdot, and the second v^2 is obviously P.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by mqb2766
The speed (squared) of B is
v^2 + (r*thetadot)^2
where v = rdot, and the second v^2 is obviously P.

Oh my god, those are actually components of velocity of B, now I finally understand
That is so amazing
Original post by dr.rayyan99
Oh my god, those are actually components of velocity of B, now I finally understand
That is so amazing

Yes, its the usual speed in polar coordinates as the tangential (circle) velocity is perpendicular to the radial velocity, or its easy enough to derive from
s = [r*cos(theta), r*sin(theta)]
and simply differentiate wrt t and use pythagoras.

Though specific for the question, if P is moving at rdot, then radially B must be moving at the same rate, and it also has an angular velocity (perpendicular) component which youve just worked out, which I presume is the hint in the question.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending