The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it was a brilliant ban! Somewhat unsurprisingly, i'm a non-smoker, and I love not having to wash my jacket every time I go out to a restaurant or pub, and I love not having my tasty meals spoilt in restaurants by inconsiderate pigs who light up at the table next to me. What is the point in going out for a nice meal if you're just going to smoke afterwards? If I were the chef I'd be nothing short of insulted!
No it should not be repealed and I am surprised at the number of smokers I know who actually agree with me.
I'd rather not die because someone decided to be a selfish dick, thanks :smile:
Well if they don't like it, they can leave.

Well by that token, if smokers don't like it, they can stay at home.
Mad Vlad
So the smokers will vote Repeal and the non-smokers will vote Keep it. What a pointless poll.

I smoke and I accept the ban.
Reply 45
L i b
Nope, there are plenty of non-smokers who understand the concept of liberty. I was once one of them, and despite not being a smoker I argued tooth and nail against this drawing room fascism. I later took the habit up myself.

Ok, on that basis:

So the smokers and Libertarians will vote Repeal and the non-smokers will vote Keep it. What a pointless poll.

Better?
Reply 46
yawn
This debate is identical to those on TSR before the ban was implemented. What is the purpose of going over the same ground again and again, since it won't change anything.

This is the last of many posts I've already made on the same question. It's a bit like asking whether women should have the right to vote...it's been argued, it's been legislated for and it's been implemented...get over it. :wink:

Shockingly enough, debates on TSR don't tend to change the law. I think we're all aware of that.

You're just being triumphalist, as you've done before on other things. Well, let me point out to you that Labour will lose the next election and we'll have a Tory government despite your misgivings: get it right up you. How do you like that sort of triumphalism?

Incidentally, once money changes hands, the property becomes public both morally and legally - especially as far as HMIT is concerned. But then older members of TSR know this very well, since the argument of pubs being 'private property' in the same way as a house owner's property was soundly defeated in the past on TSR. A tenuous chink was exposed as a sham.

No it wasn't, and suggesting that any trade results in public ownership is nothing short of communism.
Reply 47
yes definitley the really need to let us smoke shishas inside
Reply 48
emioly
Don't work there if you don't like it.

yea, the dole queue's over there, take any skills you learnt here and **** off, and while you're at it, take these disgustin nicorette's with you
Reply 49
SilkySmooth
I smoke and I accept the ban.

Damn you! How dare you ruin my generalisations! :mad:

:p:
No - I'm not convinced about this talk of "civil liberties" because its not an important liberty. The right to smoke where you want? I just don't regard it as important; particularly when there are negative consequences for other individuals.

In the long-term, its going to really reduce the number of people taking up smoking. This is a very good thing.
Reply 51
Christian_j

You're quite correct; as I said it should be at the discretion of the owner.
blinkbelle
replace this with DEMOCRACY - would you prefer a minority view was implemented instead?

I believe in basic human rights, and the right to do as you please on private property is one of them.
Reply 53
Jelephant
I'd rather not die because someone decided to be a selfish dick, thanks :smile:

I don't understand the concept of selfishness myself. However, if anyone is being selfish - which is perfectly legitimate - then it's the pub owner, not the person who take him up on his open invitation to smoke in the premises.

If you don't like it the rules of the establishment, go somewhere else. You have no right to complain. If your health is effected by that, then it is entirely your fault.
Christian_j

Seconded.
To everyone saying "If you don't like working in it, just leave" What if you have no choice? What if you have bills to pay and mouths to feed? You can't risk giving up any kind of work these days because it's next to impossible to find anything again. People are being made redunant left right and centre and they are all looking for jobs too. It's not a walk in a the park to just get up and leave these days.
Mad Vlad
Damn you! How dare you ruin my generalisations! :mad:

:p:

Lol on your behalf it was a logical one to make, but it's only fair right, I would never want to force others to breath in my smoke. I admit I didn't even think about this before the ban but hey that's why it's a good thing it was brought in.
PoliceStory
I believe in basic human rights, and the right to do as you please on private property is one of them.

Are you serious? You think that is a basic human right? Basic human rights such as the right to life, the right to be free from inhuman and degrading torture etc... you honestly think that a smoker's right to smoke in a pub fits in with those?
Reply 58
jacketpotato
No - I'm not convinced about this talk of "civil liberties" because its not an important liberty.

Utterly contemptible. It is not for you to tell people which of their desires are important or legitimate.

particularly when there are negative consequences for other individuals.

There are not, only neutral consequences - at least in moral terms. If someone chooses to harm their health, then that is their own concern. It is something the average person does every day.

In the long-term, its going to really reduce the number of people taking up smoking. This is a very good thing.

I disagree. Smoking is an excellent pastime and one I would encourage.
Reply 59
No, the smoking ban is :awesome: I was in a pub the other night and there was a group of people with two babies - you'd never see that before the ban. Smokers are the minority, they should have to go outside, not the other way around.

Latest

Trending

Trending