Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Is the Casio fx-991ES Calculator allowed in S1, C3 and C4

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its the silver casio fx-991ES and it can do lots of Stats functions and definite integration and differentiation too, is it allowed in S1 C3 and C4?

thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes. it's an immense calculator.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes used it last year, it is only useful to check, as you have to show your working to get all the marks , but really is an immense calculator =]
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    But at the front of exam papers is says: "Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with the facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like anyone really goes round and checks what calculator you are using!
    + it looks the same as all the other ordinary calculators.
    It's the calculator I'm using. It's awesome. Means I don't have to work out actual values and stuff because it all comes up like that =)
    I'm sure it's fine though =)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That has got to be an unfair advantage, even if it 'only' lets you know if you're answer was right or not. You couldn't ask a teacher to look at your work and tell you if it's ok during an exam.

And if examiners are supposed to give no credit without working, they probably will give credit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    But at the front of exam papers is says: "Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with the facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration."
    It can't do symbolic differentiation or integration.

It can say that d/dx(ln(3)) is a 1/3 but it wont show you that d/dx(ln(x)) is 1/x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ******* love this calculator :coma:. It can do complex numbers and matrices ffs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    yes you are. i have a casio 9850gc plus - and the stuff it can do is extremely helpful - definately gives you an unfair advantage in my eyes.

But yes they are allowed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    yes you are. i have a casio 9850gc plus - and the stuff it can do is extremely helpful - definately gives you an unfair advantage in my eyes.

But yes they are allowed
    How would you compare it to the 991, is it worth getting for further maths (and uni)?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and its fantastic. Vectors, matrices, solving quadratics. This calculator is your best friend.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I liked that calculator, I bought it two years ago just before I started college, and then discovered that I needed the TI82 graphical calculator, which I did not like. I am used to it now, but I miss the calculator like hell, I gave it to my brother who will probably abuse it...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illy123)
    How would you compare it to the 991, is it worth getting for further maths (and uni)?
    having never used a 991 - i can onyl assume that it is very similar with just more functions, and it can draw graphs and do quite a bit with graphs, conics dynamic graphs, and can do more cool stuff, can connect it to motion sensors etc/computers/download programs and stuff for it.

Be careful buying a calculator for uni as some unis only let you use certain models in exams - like i know the one im using is not allowes in cambridge exams ( i think so - i remember reading this a while back - might be wrong) - but the point is it is worth checking with the uni.

and there are probably newer and better ones out there - mines like 3 years old
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    having never used a 991 - i can onyl assume that it is very similar with just more functions, and it can draw graphs and do quite a bit with graphs, conics dynamic graphs, and can do more cool stuff, can connect it to motion sensors etc/computers/download programs and stuff for it.

Be careful buying a calculator for uni as some unis only let you use certain models in exams - like i know the one im using is not allowes in cambridge exams ( i think so - i remember reading this a while back - might be wrong) - but the point is it is worth checking with the uni.

and there are probably newer and better ones out there - mines like 3 years old
    So I guess you should chose Imperial to suit your calculator? :p:

Thanks, that's good advice. I will need to check what LSE will allow. I don't think its worth me spending £50 on further maths as I already have the E ... and the FX991 is very good (differentiation, intergration, solve polynomials, matricies, etc)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just had a look at it, it say's 'equation solver', so you can type in a complicated function and find the value for something like x? And you if dy/dx = some function, the calculator can instantly find values for x, y etc? - and you're allowed that? If so, I need to get this! :yep:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2009
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.