The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Japanese by far.....
French is a largely dying language in my opinion .... Japan is world center for technological advancement lately so will be much more useful as well as being economically , commercially and corporately much larger and mainstream than both france and Russia combined
Depends on why you want to study course though.

I don't see any point in learning Japanese just because you like anime or something. I'd say Japanese for the reasons lukastewart stated, but it's down to what you really want to learn. </cliche>
Reply 3
lukasstewart
Japanese by far.....
French is a largely dying language in my opinion .... Japan is world center for technological advancement lately so will be much more useful as well as being economically , commercially and corporately much larger and mainstream than both france and Russia combined

My thoughts exactly- that and everyone is jumping on the Japan bandwagon with the growth of anime etc, so more people are learning the language and thus you'd be able to communicate with many more people than just the japanese :p:
Reply 4
French and Russian. Learning two languages on a degree seems very difficult in my opinion.
Absinth
French and Russian. Learning two languages on a degree seems very difficult in my opinion.

not relevant realy....... Japanese is truly much more prestigious ..
123banana123
Which degree sounds more impressive, employable and has the general 'wow' factor in your opinion?

French and Russian combined degree

or Japanese degree

????????????????????????????????????????????????

What are your reasons for picking each of them?

Also, I applied to 2 unis to do spanish and portuguese and 3 to do spanish and russian - so if you're still undecided, you could always apply to some to do one course, and others to do another.

As it is, I'm now doing spanish russian and italian, not even what I applied for :blush:
Reply 7
lukasstewart

French is a largely dying language in my opinion

:confused:
in comparison to japanese i mean...comeon
but thats just my opinion...... i honestly don´t know... i just honestly think that japanese would be MUCH more beneficial.
Reply 10
well, tbh both sound good.. french is like a standard language but combined with russian.. it sounds pretty impressive.. also, russian is hard to learn, just like japanese! it depends why you want to learn them?
isawsparks89
What are your reasons for picking each of them?

Also, I applied to 2 unis to do spanish and portuguese and 3 to do spanish and russian - so if you're still undecided, you could always apply to some to do one course, and others to do another.

As it is, I'm now doing spanish russian and italian, not even what I applied for :blush:

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but when you applied to study different languages, what did you put in your personal statement? Because I intend to study French and Russian, but I'd also like to apply for French and Spanish. Problem is, I think it'll look a bit weird if on my personal statement I talk about my enthusiasm to French and Russian then apply for Spanish...How did you overcome this?

Sorry for the thread hijack OP, and in answer to your question, French and Russian, by far. People are just jumping on the bandwagon with Japanese IMO, no way is French a 'dying language'.

Edit: But OP you should really decide which to study based on which you enjoy learning, have an aptitude for, and what will be most useful to you after you graduate - NOT which will impress people on TSR.
Reply 12
Unless you work in France, Japan or Russia, I don't think the choice is that important. They will both stand equally as a language degree.

And French is in no way a dying language.
xmarilynx
Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but when you applied to study different languages, what did you put in your personal statement? Because I intend to study French and Russian, but I'd also like to apply for French and Spanish. Problem is, I think it'll look a bit weird if on my personal statement I talk about my enthusiasm to French and Russian then apply for Spanish...How did you overcome this?

Sorry for the thread hijack OP, and in answer to your question, French and Russian, by far. People are just jumping on the bandwagon with Japanese IMO, no way is French a 'dying language'.

Edit: But OP you should really decide which to study based on which you enjoy learning, have an aptitude for, and what will be most useful to you after you graduate - NOT which will impress people on TSR.

I talked mainly about my past experience with languages, what I'd studied and which bits I'd enjoyed studying, and then talked about what I plan to get out of it - for example, you could point out that you want to study literature because...blah blah and all that.
Reply 14
lukasstewart
not relevant realy....... Japanese is truly much more prestigious ..

Outside of Japan, probably not as useful a language as French and Russian, although to the average person, Japanese probably "looks" harder because of the writing system etc.

And prestigious according to whom?
Japanese is an exceptionally difficult language to learn (I can speak it fairly well after a few years of practice); but I think people here are underestimating how hard Russian is.

In short, both options sound good. However, I would personally choose straight Russian over the combined honours course; you're far more likely to end up fluent that way. :yep:
isawsparks89
I talked mainly about my past experience with languages, what I'd studied and which bits I'd enjoyed studying, and then talked about what I plan to get out of it - for example, you could point out that you want to study literature because...blah blah and all that.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks. :smile:
Gwilym
Japanese looks and sounds far more impressive, because in fairness, it's a beast of a language to learn.
However, I'm not so sure about its usefulness - to paraphrase and summarise most books written about the issue, Japan is a bit f*cked. After years of economic isolationism, the Japanese economy is dodgy (albeit domestically fairly successful) and backwards; many Western companies were shocked at Japanese businesses' lack of modern economic practice. It is very much a closed-door society, in terms of business and generally; you will never see a non-Japanese in any position of actual importance.

Disagree totally. Firstly, the dualism of the Japanese economy is supported by the fact that its trade surplus and exporting strategies massively outweigh its own domestic markets. Companies like Honda and Toyota are the ones propping up the companies that are making Japanese products to the Japanese. Look at the agriculture systems before and after the war as a prime example. Japan produced something like 60% of its own food, and now its something like 10%. An employee working for a multi-national that trades to the EU and the US will earn far in excess to a domestic Japanese company, which appears dwarfish in manpower and capital.

I don't understand how the Japanese economic practices are 'backwards', unless you want to expand on that. If anything, they utilised their own strengths and capitalised on the weakness of the competition around them. The weakness of the Japanese economic system had more to do with the vast inflation of the yen and foreign speculations during the bubble years, and now more latterly is suffering from a decrease in its trade surplus due to this poxy recession.

You can't really argue that the system is flawed, when Japan, merely 6 years after its defeat in the war managed to regain its former economic output which it held at the height of the war. Certainly the 'miracle' was a smoking mirror - but then so was/will be the Tiger Economies and China.

Where the knife falls in most business practices tends to be the social hierarchical structure of the society. But, given that you nor I am Japanese - surely it is impossible to be ingrained within this system; and as such is all relatively moot if you arguing the selection of non-Japanese within Japan (again, where is the basis for this? Are you discussing White Europeans or the Koreans and Chinese?) Now if you said 'you never see a Japanese woman in any position of importance' - you'd have a good argument and sound bit of knowledge.

Moreover, Japan is in many ways just boring. Nothing interesting ever happens with regards to things like Politics, the economy, etc etc. Lots of it is fundamentally dull.

I find it when you tie into the social complexities, its quite interesting.

This is where Russian comes into play. More Russian speakers than Japanese speakers, for one, far more opportunities for exciting things - some people may be put off by all the corruption and murky shenanigans in Russia, but to me, that sounds exciting.

That sounds like the LDP.
I also love the fact that the GDP of Tokyo is almost exactly the same as the total GDP of the whole of Russia.
Reply 19
guy_incognito

You can't really argue that the system is flawed, when Japan, merely 6 years after its defeat in the war managed to regain its former economic output which it held at the height of the war. Certainly the 'miracle' was a smoking mirror - but then so was/will be the Tiger Economies and China.

That's not really that impressive though - in fact I would say it was remarkably unimpressive considering the global economic climate at the time. Most European countries (including Germany) had surpassed their pre-war industrial output by 1947.

Latest

Trending

Trending