The Student Room Group

WJEC Law A2 LW5

WJEC Law A2 LW5

Hi
I'm sitting LW4, LW5 and LW6 in roughly three weeks time.
I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, revision notes or essay plans that could help me on LW5. My lecturer has told me that many students chose CPS and Bail and that its considerably harder to get high marks on these topics. He has advised Strict Liability and IPCC but I don't really understand the questions I have seen in the past papers.
Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am starting to panic as time is running out!
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Welshgirl
WJEC Law A2 LW5

Hi
I'm sitting LW4, LW5 and LW6 in roughly three weeks time.
I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, revision notes or essay plans that could help me on LW5. My lecturer has told me that many students chose CPS and Bail and that its considerably harder to get high marks on these topics. He has advised Strict Liability and IPCC but I don't really understand the questions I have seen in the past papers.
Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am starting to panic as time is running out!
Thanks

Hey I'm taking this. I'll see if I can write you some kind of plan in time to come, bit busy as of now but when I gather my notes up I will try and give you some help :smile:.
Reply 2
Hi i'm sitting LW4, LW5 and LW6.
I prefer essay question on the CPS, Bail, and Strict liabilty. I hate the IPCC and essay questions on defences. I think just do the essay you're confident in. I also have a question in LW4 how much would you need to write for the scenario questions. I'm really confused the max i could write is 2 pages. Is that less?.
Reply 3
Hey
Thanks Colesy would be much appreciated!
Irfaan12 I usually write more than that but its quality not quantity as long as you cover actus reus, mens rea, causation, defences and try and name some cases!
I hope that helps!
Reply 4
Kl, In LW4 its likely I would answer the question on homocide and Offences against the persons act. On LW5 im hoping theres an essay on Strict liabilty, Bail, IPCC (dont like it but i kinda know it) and CPS. I dont think it should be to hard as long as you know the law of the question you are answering! How do you revise? What questions do you prefer and what do you think will come up?
Reply 5
LW4 - I am revising all the sections of PACE and the NON-FATAL OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON
LW5 - I am revising BAIL, CPS, COMPLAINTS AGAINST POLICE and STRICT LIABILITY

Not sure about LW6 yet but that isn't till Friday haha soooo...

Most important thing is to show the examiner you know the LAW - don't worry abour everything else to much just include all the LAW you know on each subject
Reply 6
Hi , i am also taking LW4 and LW5 this Tuesday

for Paper 4 my teacher has told us to revise Murder, Involuntry Manslaughter, Non Fatal (which i find very hard and confusing), and along with all the General Defences NOT Police Powers as it is confusing and LONNGGG
My teacher has said there will be 4 questions in which one of the problem questions will

1. Involve Death (Murder/INvoluntry Manslaghter)
2. Police Powers (Which we have chosen to ignore
3 Non Fatal Offences ( S18,s20,s47, OAPA 1861 and s39 CJA 1988)
4. Surprise Question.... anyone have a vclue what its going to be on ?

for Paper 5 i have opted to revise for CPS, Bail, Strict Liability and Youth Offenders/ Sentencing

Please let me know if anyone else is following my steps and anyone have a clue whats coming up on paper 5?

Hopefully both papers would be good

get back to me people
Reply 7
Damn forgot about this thread sorry people:

LW4 will be on; Police powers, fatal offences, nonfatal offences and one random. For this you have to answer any 2 questions out of 4.

LW5 will be on; Bail, Juries, C.P.S., Police Complaints, Strict Liability, Crime and Statistics, Sentencing, Defences and Non Fatal Offences. You have to answer 2 out of 6 questions.

LW6 this test gives a scenario and you have to answer 5 questions on it. These questions will be on; Pretrial (Police Powers), The Trial (Legal Aid) and Post Trial (Sentencing). Those are some examples of what you'll need to comment on.
Reply 8
Hey ppl im having an absolute panic attack at the moment coz i left my law revision 2 last minuite and ive got my synoptic module 6 psychology exam on monday so basically im dead! I've rang in sick at work 2day 2 try and cramp in as much law revision as i possible can for Tuesdays LW4 and LW5, so far ive managed 2 do police powers, complaints against police, and strict liability. Can anyone plzzz tell me which other units i should focus on in the next 2 days as i'l obviously have to leave out some of the units now! PLZ HELP
Reply 9
On LW4 I decided to forget police powers. I'm just going to concentrate on homicide (murder and manslaughter), non fatal offences and defences.
On LW5 gonna focus on CPS, Strict liability, Police complaints, sentencing and Youth offenders.
Reply 10
F4R4H
Hey ppl im having an absolute panic attack at the moment coz i left my law revision 2 last minuite and ive got my synoptic module 6 psychology exam on monday so basically im dead! I've rang in sick at work 2day 2 try and cramp in as much law revision as i possible can for Tuesdays LW4 and LW5, so far ive managed 2 do police powers, complaints against police, and strict liability. Can anyone plzzz tell me which other units i should focus on in the next 2 days as i'l obviously have to leave out some of the units now! PLZ HELP

Make sure you learn:
Murder and manslaughter
Non fatal offences
All defences
Strict liability
CPS
Police complaints
Bail

Hopefully you should be fine!
Reply 11
irfaan12
On LW4 I decided to forget police powers. I'm just going to concentrate on homicide (murder and manslaughter), non fatal offences and defences.
On LW5 gonna focus on CPS, Strict liability, Police complaints, sentencing and Youth offenders.

I'm pretty sure police powers is vital you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.
Reply 12
Colesy
I'm pretty sure police powers is vital you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.

Well in LW4 you have an option from 4 scenarios and im deffinetly not going to choose the police powers one. Also in LW5 i doubt you will get a question on police powers. Maybe police complaints which I will revise.

I preferer question on murder, non fatal offences and defences.

Anyway what do you think? Is it really neccessary to revise the powers?
Reply 13
irfaan12
Well in LW4 you have an option from 4 scenarios and im deffinetly not going to choose the police powers one. Also in LW5 i doubt you will get a question on police powers. Maybe police complaints which I will revise.

I preferer question on murder, non fatal offences and defences.

Anyway what do you think? Is it really neccessary to revise the powers?

I'm sure it comes up in every paper. Why would you not revise something that comes up in every paper? If you know it inside out you just guarantee yourself 90-100%.

Like you (and most people I imagine) learning the entire syllabus to a subject is tedious, so I chance it, hope things I've revised come up, and the ones I left I luck out on. But something I know will be in there? Easy marks.
Reply 14
im panicking ... i find strict liability soooo HARRD!! very confusing , but this differs from person to person , thats y im going to tkae the risk and revise CPS, Bail, and Youth Offenders , and from looking at past papers all 3 of them have come up for the past 4 years
do you think this will be allright ?
people any recomendations?
Reply 15
rejwan123
Hi , i am also taking LW4 and LW5 this Tuesday

for Paper 4 my teacher has told us to revise Murder, Involuntry Manslaughter, Non Fatal (which i find very hard and confusing), and along with all the General Defences NOT Police Powers as it is confusing and LONNGGG
My teacher has said there will be 4 questions in which one of the problem questions will

1. Involve Death (Murder/INvoluntry Manslaghter)
2. Police Powers (Which we have chosen to ignore
3 Non Fatal Offences ( S18,s20,s47, OAPA 1861 and s39 CJA 1988)
4. Surprise Question.... anyone have a vclue what its going to be on ?

for Paper 5 i have opted to revise for CPS, Bail, Strict Liability and Youth Offenders/ Sentencing

Please let me know if anyone else is following my steps and anyone have a clue whats coming up on paper 5?

Hopefully both papers would be good

get back to me people

I've decided to do the same and forget police powers. Going to do exactly what you are revising!
Also strict liability is basically where you can be criminally liable without the mens rea. Its there to ensure there is a public safety. Strict liability tends to come up as an essay question so dont worry if you cant understand it. You will have loads of other options!
Reply 16
i got an A last year and this year i have been going down the drain dont know why , i want to maintain high grades for law . but im scared im going to end up with a crap grade, today ive revised all of Murder/ involuntry manslaughter for paper 4 and 2morw im going to do all of non fatal and general defences , right now for paper five im only revising Bail, CPS and Youth Offenders . and hoping any of them come up on tuesday ...
how are you getting on Strict Liability is a NO NO ive read a few past model answers and it seems so hard and confusing
Reply 17
rejwan123
i got an A last year and this year i have been going down the drain dont know why , i want to maintain high grades for law . but im scared im going to end up with a crap grade, today ive revised all of Murder/ involuntry manslaughter for paper 4 and 2morw im going to do all of non fatal and general defences , right now for paper five im only revising Bail, CPS and Youth Offenders . and hoping any of them come up on tuesday ...
how are you getting on Strict Liability is a NO NO ive read a few past model answers and it seems so hard and confusing

Strict Liability is mega simple:

Explain what strict liability is.

How it requires no mens rea.

Why its needed.

Then write about how judges decide if an offence is strict liability or not, cite case of London Borough Council v Shah, then write about these 4 points that decide:

1. Was the offence truly criminal? Cite case of Sweet and Parsley.
2. Does the wording of the act require mens rea? Cite case of Alphacell V Woodward.
3. Is it an issue of social concern? Cite case of Harrow and Shah.
4. Is it needed for greater vigilance? Cite case of Gammon V Hong Kong.

Talk about advantages and disadvantages of it.
Conclusion.

Excuse poor grammar/whatever in there I rush when I type it all up into Word :wink:.
Reply 18
thank you colesy ... im gona give it one more shot and see if i can get the hang of SL if i cnt then its just revision for CPS, bail and Youth Offenders which im really confident with :wink:
Reply 19
Welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending