The Student Room Group

Study in Israel

I'm not Jewish, but the country fascinates me.

I want to have a career that deals with international-homeland-national security/counter terrorism/conflict and peace/international relations

I think Israel would be a great place to study for a degree in this area. I am doing my bachelors at Leeds (International Relations), however I am trying to plan out where I want to be in a few years time, and Israel looks like my best bet.

I understand its quite a dangerous place, but that doesn't really worry me. What I am most interested in, is learning from experts in the field. Israel would be one of the best countries to live to learn these areas of study.

Does anybody know of any MA courses available?
Reply 1
JDon

I want to have a career that deals with international-homeland-national security/counter terrorism/conflict and peace/international relations

I think Israel would be a great place to study for a degree in this area. I am doing my bachelors at Leeds (International Relations), however I am trying to plan out where I want to be in a few years time, and Israel looks like my best bet.

I understand its quite a dangerous place, but that doesn't really worry me. What I am most interested in, is learning from experts in the field. Israel would be one of the best countries to live to learn these areas of study.

There are numerous international programs at Haifa, Tel-Aviv and the Hebrew (Jerusalem) Universities. Each includes hundreds of foreign students, many of them are not Jewish. From the people I know from the US and Europe who have done it, they had a fascinating time, and had alot of fun regardless.

Danger wise, since the security fence was erected, you have a 50 times higher chance getting killed in a car crash than a terrorist attack, so no need to worry there :smile:.
Reply 2
Wicked, I shall look into it.

It just appeals to me more if I study in Israel, as I want to persue a career in homeland security/international security etc and I thought since Israel has had quite a bloody history (when comparing how long it has existed) then Israel would be a great place to study such a subject.
Reply 3
JDon
Wicked, I shall look into it.

It just appeals to me more if I study in Israel, as I want to persue a career in homeland security/international security etc and I thought since Israel has had quite a bloody history (when comparing how long it has existed) then Israel would be a great place to study such a subject.

Im currently doing my 2nd degree in intl' relations (the Hebrew university, Jerusalem), but prior to that, I took time to check the best universities in the different fields of intl relations. For international security and national security, the Tel-Aviv university has excellent programs (the best in Israel), many of them in English. They have an english version website so if your interested you should check.

Goodluck.
Reply 4
Cheers for the info, I shall definitely check it out :smile:
Reply 5
Its difficult to get information on the courses as alot of the pages are in Hebrew and with no button for an 'English' translation.

I managed to discover Tel Aviv offers:

Security Studies Program
Diplomacy and Security

Unfortunately I cannot see the difference between the two as both courses have pages in Hebrew which is unenviable in English :s
Reply 6
JDon

Do you speak hebrew? Do you have plently of money, because it will cost alot to study there?

and btw, Israel is not dangerous in any shape or form. Stupid.
Reply 7
JDon
Its difficult to get information on the courses as alot of the pages are in Hebrew and with no button for an 'English' translation.

I managed to discover Tel Aviv offers:

Security Studies Program
Diplomacy and Security

Unfortunately I cannot see the difference between the two as both courses have pages in Hebrew which is unenviable in English :s

Here's the english website:
http://www.tau.ac.il/index-eng.html

If the relevant pages are in Hebrew, I suggest calling the department of intl relations:

Diplomacy and Security, for instance: 972-3-6409268

I believe you will get your info from there. If not, ask them for the relevant phone numbers for programs you seem interested in.
Reply 8
Xang Lee
Do you speak hebrew? Do you have plently of money, because it will cost alot to study there?

What's with the attitude?
Reply 9
Xang Lee

No, I don't speak Hebrew, and it is not necessary to know the language to live and learn in Israel. Signs are in English and Hebrew, coruses can be taught in English and most of the population can speak both languages, stupid.

It will be a graduate degree, sure I can find the cash in 3 years.

Considering the arabs hate for Jews and the proximity in the Middle East, I would say that it would be a good idea to keep your eyes open whilst walking around the place. But that being said, their security is very good.
Reply 10
Axes
Here's the english website:
http://www.tau.ac.il/index-eng.html

If the relevant pages are in Hebrew, I suggest calling the department of intl relations:

Diplomacy and Security, for instance: 972-3-6409268

I believe you will get your info from there. If not, ask them for the relevant phone numbers for programs you seem interested in.

Thanks very much, I shall look into it.
Reply 11
They know krav maga! So as long as you learn a few moves, you'll be ok :biggrin:
Reply 12
JDon
No, I don't speak Hebrew, and it is not necessary to know the language to live and learn in Israel. Signs are in English and Hebrew, coruses can be taught in English and most of the population can speak both languages, stupid.

It will be a graduate degree, sure I can find the cash in 3 years.

Considering the arabs hate for Jews and the proximity in the Middle East, I would say that it would be a good idea to keep your eyes open whilst walking around the place. But that being said, their security is very good.

Nonsense, it's not dangerous at all. Ask anyone who lives there. Yes, it will be very expensive and nearly ALL courses are taught in hebrew. If you'd done your homework you'd know that.
Reply 13
Xang Lee
Nonsense, it's not dangerous at all. Ask anyone who lives there. Yes, it will be very expensive and nearly ALL courses are taught in hebrew. If you'd done your homework you'd know that.

The key word here is 'nearly all courses' - nearly.

There are a select few that are taught in English, especially courses that involve IR, as it is a degree that would attract many international students. For instance, Tel Aviv's Conflict and Mediation course is taught in English.

Stop flaming the post you are making yourself out to be very ignorant.
Reply 14
JDon
The key word here is 'nearly all courses' - nearly.

There are a select few that are taught in English, especially courses that involve IR, as it is a degree that would attract many international students. For instance, Tel Aviv's Conflict and Mediation course is taught in English.

Stop flaming the post you are making yourself out to be very ignorant.

Have you lived, worked and studied in Israel? Because I have. You're the ignorant one.
Reply 15
Xang Lee
Have you lived, worked and studied in Israel? Because I have. You're the ignorant one.

I've done the same you have, mate, and there are many international programs tought allmost exclusively in English. We Israeli's simply were not exposed to such courses..
Reply 16
I lived in Israel and as an Arab can say you a few things. First of all, Israel is great, really high life standard. Israeli people are all about peace and stuff, and no one ever complained about my heritage and things like that. Go for Israel! I have friends and relatives in Haifa, Tel Aviv and Jerusalem and and I envy a bit :s-smilie:

Finally, wouldn't we Arabs and Israeli be the most powerful nation on the Planet if we just unite? Wouldn't that be great? A Large federal state of Israeli&Arabs living in peace and prosperity determent to be the best. :biggrin: That's my dream.
Reply 17
It depends what you want to ultimately do with your life, although it's your choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending