The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Soas vs Queen Mary for International relations and politics

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out because I'm very unsure whether to choose Queen Mary or Soas for IR and politics next year. I'm worried that Soas is too focused on African studies but I'm also worried that Queen Mary doesn't look that broadly on international politics so I hope someone can clear things up. Also people like how are both campuses. I'm aware that SOAS is very diverse and so is Queen Mary but can someone let me know more that seems to be the only thing I'm hearing.
Hi, thanks for your message. I'm a final year Arabic and IR student at SOAS and remember also considering applying to Queen Mary before starting university so I understand how nerve-racking the process is. IR at SOAS has been super interesting as we learnt about global history, the international political economy, international institutions, conflicts rights and justice and so much more. There is no emphasis on African studies yet in second year onwards you can choose modules in any region so If you're interested in studying about the politics of Africa, you can choose modules accordingly. I chose modules related to the Middle East and have learnt about the geopolitics of the region and a detailed study of Israel/Palestine. Having been to both campuses, I like that SOAS is a small campus in central London, a few minutes walk away from The British Library and British Museum. The students are extremely diverse and campus is a place you can meet people from all over the world, immerse in different cultures at society events and enjoy the the Library with 1000+ study spaces. SOAS also has over 165 societies such as sports clubs, cultural societies like MENA and much more including UN society, consulting etc. Hope this helps!

Z
UG Arabic & IR
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by sosiskag
Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out because I'm very unsure whether to choose Queen Mary or Soas for IR and politics next year. I'm worried that Soas is too focused on African studies but I'm also worried that Queen Mary doesn't look that broadly on international politics so I hope someone can clear things up. Also people like how are both campuses. I'm aware that SOAS is very diverse and so is Queen Mary but can someone let me know more that seems to be the only thing I'm hearing.

I'm in the same position, what were your offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending