The Student Room Group

Writing about personal politics in Personal Statement

I'm applying for History for 2025 entry (taking a gap year), and am currently drafting my Personal Statement. Of course, History is inherently political, but even so, I'm cautious of bringing up my own political experiences - especially when it's about a highly controversial topic. My family is Israeli, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I won't mention what "side" I'm on, but I would like to talk about History being central to the conflict/and how History and archaeology are right at the core of public policy in both Israel and Palestine.

I've tried to keep it as neutral and possible, and have mentioned "extremists on both sides" but even so, I'm worried that this might not be appropriate to mention, because it's such a hot button topic. I don't want it to touch any raw nerves of Admissions Officers, but it's undeniable that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a huge factor in my interest in History.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by eilnabrmnat
I'm applying for History for 2025 entry (taking a gap year), and am currently drafting my Personal Statement. Of course, History is inherently political, but even so, I'm cautious of bringing up my own political experiences - especially when it's about a highly controversial topic. My family is Israeli, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I won't mention what "side" I'm on, but I would like to talk about History being central to the conflict/and how History and archaeology are right at the core of public policy in both Israel and Palestine.

I've tried to keep it as neutral and possible, and have mentioned "extremists on both sides" but even so, I'm worried that this might not be appropriate to mention, because it's such a hot button topic. I don't want it to touch any raw nerves of Admissions Officers, but it's undeniable that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a huge factor in my interest in History.

Absolutely, but be careful that this strays away from talking about you.
Talk about what your strong feelings about this has moved you to do, how have you built on your interests where you now wish to study history at undergraduate level in order to learn X, Y and Z.

Do you see where I'm going with this? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending