The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
rach.
They did like their graphs! I swear that on basically every second page there was a bloody graph to analyse.

I did both Unit 1 and 2 and I have to say, I think they went well but you never really know for bio since they love to ask open-ended questions but have really strict mark schemes :rolleyes:.

That albino squirrel question was one of the most ridiculous and funny things I have seen in a paper so far. I left it because I couldn't think of a suitable reason why :confused:. What did people put?
If it had said it was more common in squirrels, I would've been able to answer it i.e. squirrels produce more offspring in general, therefore more likely to keep the recessive alleles in the gene pool to pass onto future generations.

Other squirells may not recognise the albino squirrel so there is less chance of any offspring contraining the gene for an albino
Soda_Dreamer_
In all honesty...EDEXCEL MESSED UP AGAIN! i went to go write about a ******* BIOLOGY paper not a statistical analysis paper! I mean what the hell was that all about ..'albino squirell!?' and the altitude, and i know how you feel about the DNA, spent forever learning how protien synthesis worked and it never came up

Especially in the second paper where i learnt about a 1000 deffinitions for biodviersity etc, and NOTHING on it came up but bloody organelles!

AND what did you write about the Vitamin C in those weird named fruits?! the experiment?

Omg that question was just ridiculous.
i just wrote there are less squirrels who are 'carrying' the disease compared to humans. I know i got it wrong lol And i wrote out the experiment!
Reply 22
what exactly was the experiment? I just waffled on.
Edexcel are actually a JOKE. :| I found it MEGA hard.
rach.
They did like their graphs! I swear that on basically every second page there was a bloody graph to analyse.

I did both Unit 1 and 2 and I have to say, I think they went well but you never really know for bio since they love to ask open-ended questions but have really strict mark schemes :rolleyes:.

That albino squirrel question was one of the most ridiculous and funny things I have seen in a paper so far. I left it because I couldn't think of a suitable reason why :confused:. What did people put?
If it had said it was more common in squirrels, I would've been able to answer it i.e. squirrels produce more offspring in general, therefore more likely to keep the recessive alleles in the gene pool to pass onto future generations.

i mentioned that about being albino was a bad adapation as they have no camoflage whatsoever, so are less protected from predatation etc so its not an effective adaption. so the normal squirrels adaptations are passed on through generation an become more prevalent as they have better chance of surviving and reproducing.

someone said about them gettin the timing of their papers so wrong, that is so true. two exams were happening in my hall an an invigilator said "pens down..." and even though i had just finished the paper in time, IT WASNT FOR BIOLOGY! i had over half an hour left to go back over the paper adding detail.
the first exam i barley just finished in time :s-smilie:
Soda_Dreamer_
In all honesty...EDEXCEL MESSED UP AGAIN! i went to go write about a ******* BIOLOGY paper not a statistical analysis paper! I mean what the hell was that all about ..'albino squirell!?' and the altitude, and i know how you feel about the DNA, spent forever learning how protien synthesis worked and it never came up

Especially in the second paper where i learnt about a 1000 deffinitions for biodviersity etc, and NOTHING on it came up but bloody organelles!

AND what did you write about the Vitamin C in those weird named fruits?! the experiment?

Bahaha :p: I think I was giggling to myself as I wrote my answer!

Squirrels have fur. Their fur blocks UV rays (which is an example of mutagens) which can cause mutations that lead to albinism. :facepalm:

The paper as whole.. I'd have to agree with you guys about how they barely (if any) asked about the DNA chapter (after all those hours :mad:). Way too many random graphs :frown:
Reply 25
I think i should write a letter of complaint that their paper was stupid and they should ask more sensible scientific questions. than albino squirrels.
Soda_Dreamer_
I think i should write a letter of complaint that their paper was stupid and they should ask more sensible scientific questions. than albino squirrels.

hear hear!
Reply 27
rach.

I said something like that 'they were more likely to be spotted by predators, and so they wouldn't survive to have offspring and pass on the albino gene...and so over time there would be a reduction in the albino allele frequency'.

I think this is wrong though....because that would be topic 4 in a unit one test???

I love the way they threw in so much random **** into both exams....i pretty much learnt the whole orange text book (the one they endorse!!) off by heart, and there was alot of things in the exam i'd never seen....like the structure of Chlorophyll, and where the pollysaccharide is added to a protein to from a glyco-protein.

The timing was rediculous. The funny thing is, i went to a conference held by the chief examiners for edexcel as they said that they had realised the time allowed for paper 1 in jan wasn't enough and that they'd taken it into consideration.
Reply 28
did anyone get the thing about the pollen grain and the enzymes :|
Reply 29
There wasn't as much graphs in the unit 2 paper but im pissed that only basic knowledge on biology was needed. I spent ages about Gene expression, bio diversity, conversation, natural selection and adaption but nothing came up. Maybe little parts of it popped up but nooo we had to draw a ******* nucleus instead and messed that up.

Although i'm glad I chose to resit unit 1 in Jan since my friends said it was solid.
Reply 30
Soda_Dreamer_

my mind went blank for that question. I contradicted myself by saying the enzmes need to cutt through tissue in style but in the next question i said the style was hollow...

The paper was really hard, i spent soooooo long on everything that didn't come up. Everything i wasn't sure about came up.

BTW for the graph question i wrote c
Reply 31
Soda_Dreamer_

We didn't even get taught that, the syllabus mentions nothing about enzymes in pollen grains only fertilisation. If the question was about fertilisation then it was worded BADLY.
Reply 32
What did u write for the first question about prokaryotic cells and mitrocondria?

I wrote ribosomes and circular DNA.

For chlorophyll and mitrochondria i can't remember what i wrote
JTeighty
What did u write for the first question about prokaryotic cells and mitrocondria?

I wrote ribosomes and circular DNA.

For chlorophyll and mitrochondria i can't remember what i wrote

definitely those :wink: small ribosomes in prokaryotic cells and circular DNA
Reply 34
glad other people agree about the content of the questions......i'd prefer it if i was actually being tested on biological issues and facts, rather than my opinion on interpreting yet more fricking graphs..............
Reply 35
For the enzyme/pollen tube question...

did anyone talk about the molecules of the style being the subtrate, and then forming enzyme-subtrate complexes with the enzymes?? i went along that route...i was trying to throw in some biology lol.

for the graph question i put c...because i thought it would have to be continuous if it was height.
Reply 36
mharris12

did anyone talk about the molecules of the style being the subtrate, and then forming enzyme-subtrate complexes with the enzymes?? i went along that route...i was trying to throw in some biology lol.

for the graph question i put c...because i thought it would have to be continuous if it was height.

I put C too, but some clever people in my class picked A. I mentioned that it was continuous variation due to temperature and light since those were environmental factors. Genetic factors came when it levelled off showing that this is the maximum height due to the genes.
Reply 37
mharris12

Yep i mentioned enzyme substrate complexes etc
Reply 38
i said it was due to gravity
makes sense but tbh thort it was a **** paper (both unit and 2)
and edexcel need to consider their grade boundaries VERY carefully
i put graph C as well but tbh i think A is right
however, i assume that if you made a good explanation for whicheva one u did, both could be correct
Reply 39
oh btw
wat did everyone get for the last question in unit 2? What was a risk of injecting totipotent cells?

Latest