The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haven't heard anything in a while. You don't have to apply until about January 2010, something will be known by then. The universities are millions in debt each and there's only 7 of them, I'd imagine the fees would be €4-5k. If they were to be introduced, it's political suicide, however neccessary it's proving to be.
Reply 2
4-5 thousand euros would make it probably about the same as Uk tuition fees, so at least it isnt at the international level
Reply 3
any updates yet??
still havent heard anything, i heard it was around 1-2k... anywayz this is neccessary, as the universities are very much in debt and the government cannot keep them running...
Reply 5
is that 1-2 k in euros or £?
I don't think so, registration fees are already €1.5k! I think it would be at least €4k considering that there's only 7 unis, although two have not yet declared debt. There's so many unis in the UK getting fees from so much more students, and those unis aren't in debt to begin with. Trinity and UCD at least will have the highest fees, the others might be more moderate. There's a task force currently debating what services etc. to cut 'An Bord Snip Nua' social welfare government departments etc. so tuition fees are still on the cards.
Reply 7
if trinity and other irish unis started to introduce fees than there wil be a marked increase in irish students leaving for the Uk for their studies
Reply 8
BOBbee
if trinity and other irish unis started to introduce fees than there wil be a marked increase in irish students leaving for the Uk for their studies

why would you say that?
Reply 9
because there are already loads of irish students going to UK for uni. Uk is generally more internationally well regarded. If fees were brought in it might make better sense to go to a UK uni
There are loads of Irish students going to the UK, most for reasons such as not getting enough points and for teaching, not having the Honours Irish requirement to do teaching here. Sure people go to Oxbridge and the really well regarded unis but I doubt there's going to be a massive influx if we have fees to..another country that has fees! As well as rent etc. Most people I know commute to college anyway so don't have the acommodation issue here to deal with in the first place. If they do come in (because it's still an if) I bet the number going to the UK will be roughly the same as always.

I don't see why you've said 'If Trinity and other Irish unis'..they'll ALL introduce fees under the government ruling, and DIT and the rest woud as well. Not that they don't want to, but even if they didn't they wouldn't have a choice.
If they introduce fees it'll likely be at the rate that fees are currently (fees currently exist but the government pays them) I think it's about 4-6 grand a year for arts courses and the science and medicine courses etc are generally more expensive.

If you're applying for 2010 entry then you should know the score by the time you make your decision on whether or not to go. At least you're not going in this year, my little sister is starting this year and we know she'll have fees at some point but we don't know a)when or b)what sort of loans system etc will be in place.
they should take out the vast amount of people who are on the government welfare programme, and use that money to fund universities.
Those people just sit there waiting for the money to roll in, they get free accomodation, let their children roam the streets; and who pay for it all? The working taxpayers... how is that fair?
^^ I'm fairly right wing, and I'm not particularly fond of the welfare state, but considering the fact that the country is about to hit 15% unemployment, why should University education (which is a luxury) for a few people be prioritized over giving people a basic level of subsistence? Especially when most of the unemployment that exists at the moment is completely involuntary.
roxy potter
^^ I'm fairly right wing, and I'm not particularly fond of the welfare state, but considering the fact that the country is about to hit 15% unemployment, why should University education (which is a luxury) for a few people be prioritized over giving people a basic level of subsistence? Especially when most of the unemployment that exists at the moment is completely involuntary.

Thats true... You see a lot of young single mothers on welfare support tho, and their child just do exactly the same as their mothers, get pregant early, live off government support, etc... But i guess some poeple really do need it.... like the ones you mentioned...

On another note, just to tell people how much tution fees are currently in ireland, they are 1585 euros (per year) at trinity college (just recieved my bill for 2nd year):

Student charge: 1500
Student union of ireland levy: 8
Student sport centre charge: 77
^^ This is true and I agree with you. It's just so difficult these days to distinguish between those who deserve help and those who don't.

Also, just to clarify, the "tuition fees" mentioned above aren't really tuition fees, (although that's how most people think of them because they're something you have to pay to go to university) the actual tuition fee itself is what the government pays at the moment (and they are talking about making people pay for themselves) So in the future people may have to pay something similar to that, plus 4 plus grand a year.
WHY did the sports centre charge go up? €2 but it's the principle. And I still don't use it- can't swim, don't need to exercise/no interest..none of my friends have any interest in the climbin wall. Load of ********.
roxy potter
^^ This is true and I agree with you. It's just so difficult these days to distinguish between those who deserve help and those who don't.

Also, just to clarify, the "tuition fees" mentioned above aren't really tuition fees, (although that's how most people think of them because they're something you have to pay to go to university) the actual tuition fee itself is what the government pays at the moment (and they are talking about making people pay for themselves) So in the future people may have to pay something similar to that, plus 4 plus grand a year.

StarsAreFixed
WHY did the sports centre charge go up? €2 but it's the principle. And I still don't use it- can't swim, don't need to exercise/no interest..none of my friends have any interest in the climbin wall. Load of ********.

was wondering... would either of you happen to know what the "student charge" is? (My parents would pay it anyway but i was wondering what they are paying for :rolleyes: )
Actually, I don't really know. It used to be known as a capitation fee. I think (but I could be wrong) that it's a fee for everything bar tuitiion. So, money that goes towards administration, library, IT etc. Basically, it's just another way of extorting money out of you.

I know someone I can ask though, so I'll try and find out for real.
Reply 19
Its just an administration fee - basically from what I remember from my SU days, it was the fee for your use of the space in the university, so paying for the upkeep of lecture halls/facilities, and electricity, and hte Library etc etc etc - just wait until graduation and you have to pay the 'commencement fee'. When we asked what this money was for we were told, and I quote 'its a fee for you commencement'!!!! TCD love your money

Latest

Trending

Trending