The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's the difference between a fraternity and, say, a dining club? I know some fraternities have residential houses, but most members aren't involved in that, yeah?
damn it, it got moved to a forum where not many people look. :frown:

i'm not particularly sure L i b.
Reply 3
I don't completely understand what a fraternity is. If you could give a description then I'll give you my opinion. :smile:
Reply 4
Im part of the Phi Sigma Alpha, dontcha-know?:bhangra:
jabed786
Im part of the Phi Sigma Alpha, dontcha-know?:bhangra:

:lolwut:

you aren't even at uni yet?
fubsadoo
I don't completely understand what a fraternity is. If you could give a description then I'll give you my opinion. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternities

:smile:
Reply 7

Sounds like a society, based on that.
To the OP: No but there'll certainly be one when I start studying in London in September. :wink: (I am proud member of the Helvetia Genevensis). Actually there is a fraternity in London called Britannia which is a catholic organisation.

L i b
What's the difference between a fraternity and, say, a dining club? I know some fraternities have residential houses, but most members aren't involved in that, yeah?

It depends what sort of fraternity you mean. I don't know much about American fraternities apart from the fact that they have Greek names, secret handshakes and a reputation for immaturity. European fraternities are pretty similar to dining societies, though they are often regulated by certain rules (how to drink, who can order other people to drink, beer duels etc.). Fundamentally speaking though, fraternities wear caps and shashes, sing a fair bit and are members for life, whereas you can usually drop out of a club or society.

Vivat, crescat, floreat Helvetia!
Reply 9
TheLouisVuittonDon
:lolwut:

you aren't even at uni yet?

I know I was joking :woo:
Reply 10
i may have a go at starting one up, although im not going to an incredibly frat-type uni.

bullingdon club at oxford is all i can think of. google might come up with more.

lets get some going, LVD, where are you going to uni?
Yeah sounds like a society, but much more...gay. At your Fresher's Fair you'll have the opportunity to join tons of societies, including English student ones.
Why would we want any? It's a pretty brash and vulgar. Have you seen their bling?
L i b

Dining clubs have standards.

Oh, and dining clubs don't have garish gowns or chavtastic bling.
Reply 14
Sigma Tau Delta.

In case, you know, anyone was still wondering.
Reply 15
I'm not sure they'd work as well in britain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
We don't really need them, seeing as we don't need a mechanism by which seniors provide alcohol for freshmen and sophomores, who then return the favour when they hit 21.
I actually can't think of anything worse

Original post by fubsadoo
Sounds like a society, based on that.

The difference is that a university society in the UK is based around a certain activity or interest, like photography or snowboarding for example. Anyone is allowed to join, and they usually organise trips and social events related to their interest.

From what I understand, fraternities are social clubs based around no particular interest, but often have certain requirements to join. For example, you might have to have certain grades, or appear to be the right 'calibre' of student.

In my opinion, fraternities come across as very snooty and immature. I wouldn't want to join one if I was asked.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by biffyclyro27
I actually can't think of anything worse

The difference is that a university society in the UK is based around a certain activity or interest, like photography or snowboarding for example. Anyone is allowed to join, and they usually organise trips and social events related to their interest.

From what I understand, fraternities are social clubs based around no particular interest, but often have certain requirements to join. For example, you might have to have certain grades, or appear to be the right 'calibre' of student.

In my opinion, fraternities come across as very snooty and immature. I wouldn't want to join one if I was asked.

They're basically just a big clique that lasts for several generations. They all have allegedly noble purposes like charity work and promoting fellowship and academic excellence, but from my experience their raison d'etre appeared to be a mechanism for getting naive fresher girls drunk and having sex with them.

Its a clever system - the alumni provide the funding, the senior members provide the alcohol, and the younger members do all the ****ty jobs... and everyone gets to have sex with a drunk girl.

The recruitment process is called Rush week, which normally takes place in the spring - a load of first years spend a week "in negotiations" with various fraternities basically demonstrating what they bring to the table. Its a bit like speed dating for bro's.

Latest

Trending

Trending