The Student Room Group

Not choosing English even for Law??

I recently got my GCSE results and received a shocking 9 in English literature even though I thought I would get a worse grade. Prior to my results I decided to chose Biology, Chemistry and maths and EPQ to study at A level as i knew the grades i got in those would be good ( and they are I got a 9 in maths and biology and 8 in chemistry) . Now I've got my results im questioning whether to take Chemistry or English Lit for A level as I find them equally enjoyable. I want to either be a lawyer or a doctor but im not sure whether not taking English or an essay subject will hinder me if i decide Law is my path. I know that most universities dont require essay subjects particular but I want to know whether I will be hindered at all in not choosing English. (Especially considering I want to go to Cambridge University whether I chose Law or Medicine)
Original post by 1234567899873333
I recently got my GCSE results and received a shocking 9 in English literature even though I thought I would get a worse grade. Prior to my results I decided to chose Biology, Chemistry and maths and EPQ to study at A level as i knew the grades i got in those would be good ( and they are I got a 9 in maths and biology and 8 in chemistry) . Now I've got my results im questioning whether to take Chemistry or English Lit for A level as I find them equally enjoyable. I want to either be a lawyer or a doctor but im not sure whether not taking English or an essay subject will hinder me if i decide Law is my path. I know that most universities dont require essay subjects particular but I want to know whether I will be hindered at all in not choosing English. (Especially considering I want to go to Cambridge University whether I chose Law or Medicine)

Medicine requires at least 2 sciences, with chemistry often being the one they want moreso alongside maths, biology and physics.
law doesn't require any specific A Levels.
You will not be hindered by not choosing english
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by 1234567899873333

Hi there @1234567899873333

I am a law student at the University of Kent. Congratulations on your GCSE grades! :smile: It is good that you are starting to consider your career options already. :biggrin:

Most undergraduate law courses do not require specific subjects. So not choosing English will not hinder your application. Perhaps you can check out the entry requirements for medicine to help make your decision.

For myself, I took Biology, Chemistry, and Mathematics for A levels as I was not certain about my career options. I have already completed 2 years of my Law course. I can see how taking English A levels may be helpful, as my course requires a lot of essay writing. However, I do not think you will be negatively affected even if you do not choose English for A levels.

I hope this helps.:smile:
If you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer them! :biggrin:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest