The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
nicole2567
sorry but why does mill take a negative view of society??
does it become a tyranny when democracy failes??

Well, you could argue that Mill's assumption that democracy is a tyranny of the majority is negative. A democracy could result in equality and equity.

Mill's idea behind this system was that in the past there were tyrannies, however, we evolved to the state of democracy. The problem is that the 'tyranny of the majority' can still arise from democracy, so can the tyranny of social opinion. So democracy doesn't fail and then become a tyranny, but there is a sort of internal tyranny within democracy. If you get me.
Reply 81
You'll be absolutely fine, seriously. Thanks for your posts and best of luck tomorrow =)
(edited 4 years ago)
dont worry!! i dont know anything im writring with my notes in front of me!! not the end of the world anyway! good luck!!
(edited 4 years ago)
cool guys! well done! best of luck..lets bloody hope they aren't gonna spring a nasty cause we r the last year!
good luck...
Reply 84
Nah you should stay.
Discussing with other people helps me learn, ha.
Don't be stressed though.
Confidence is the way in an exam.
(edited 4 years ago)
Would I be right in assuming:

Hobbes = life is nasty brutish and short. our state of nature is conflict and war etc and that we need authority/law/state in order to keep us at peace. humans are motivated by self interest and if we don't have a leader to control us we're bound to be terrible? we're like animals/beasts according to Hobbes.

Locke = something about having life, liberty and because we have this it's our duty not to harm the life, liberty of others? ahh i need more stuff on Locke.
Reply 86
You are correct on Hobbes. This is what leads him to suggest a social contract; this prevents war between individuals.

Locke differs from Hobbes because he takes a more positive view of human nature. However, he still argues that we need a social contract because we still require an impartial judge. He also noted that property, and defence of it, was the chief reason for government.
Reply 87
political and Hume as long as they dont ask anything on necssary connection or probability i'll be fine
Reply 88
oh wow, this is so fantastically helpful, i'm freaking out about tomorrow...
am doing political philosophy and mill.

generally am loving the social contract questions, and the law/morality/rights questions, distributive justice is a bit of a pain...as is power and authority...but just what is the general consensus on what might come up tomorrow? and also what would be a good essay structure...i've been told to start with your analysis of the question, then work through various philosophers that either back up your argument or oppose it, then conclude...does that sound good?

HELP! really want to do well, and it's such a subjective subject!

CG
Reply 89
People seem to think tyranny of the majority for Mill.

Maybe conservatism in there for PP as a part A.
Social contract/punishment for B.

STRUCTURE.
Definitions/Hypothesis.
Test hypothesis against arguments/ideologies.
Give examples.
Evaluate.
CONCLUDE.
Reply 90
awesome, would love a social contract question.
how would punishment come into a part b question? all i've learnt are things like two features and two criticisms of the justifications for it, for part a questions, things like deterrence, rehabilitation, protection and retribution...i suppose you could bring social penalties as enforced by the state for breaching the social contract...ahh!

i have a horrible feeling that the question's going to be really awkwardly phrased...how much time do you leave for planning, or is it best to just go for it.?

questions questions!
CG
Reply 91
Any predictions on hat will come up on Neitzsche any tips for criticisms??? there are non in any books argghhhh
Reply 92
Well, I suppose it could be linked into just/unjust laws.
Or maybe obedience and resistance, and how you react i.e. passive resistance, civil disobedience.

I like to plan for a few minutes.
Get a scrap piece of paper, note it down.
It helps with structure, and makes you more confident with what you're writing, how much time you can allocate.
Reply 93
overhung
People seem to think tyranny of the majority for Mill.

Maybe conservatism in there for PP as a part A.
Social contract/punishment for B.

STRUCTURE.
Definitions/Hypothesis.
Test hypothesis against arguments/ideologies.
Give examples.
Evaluate.
CONCLUDE.

What features would you choose to illustrate if conservatism came up for a)? I'm finding it hard to think of any good points.. thanks!
Reply 94
Ideologies do seem so simple, but I know what you mean, it's always hard to imagine features.

But for conservatism I would say.

1) A reliance on past experience to allow slow and gradual development. They won't have radical reform. e.g. the way the economy is managed.

2) Social order and cohesion. e.g. strict on drugs laws.
Is anyone here not doing political philosophy ??
Well, I was also taught Philosophy of Mind but I'll be damned if I'm doing that. :P
CaffrinG
oh wow, this is so fantastically helpful, i'm freaking out about tomorrow...
am doing political philosophy and mill.

generally am loving the social contract questions, and the law/morality/rights questions, distributive justice is a bit of a pain...as is power and authority...but just what is the general consensus on what might come up tomorrow? and also what would be a good essay structure...i've been told to start with your analysis of the question, then work through various philosophers that either back up your argument or oppose it, then conclude...does that sound good?

HELP! really want to do well, and it's such a subjective subject!

CG

OMG Catherine you got tsr! Now try and guess which stalker friend this is :awesome:
laughingwithpicasso
Well, I was also taught Philosophy of Mind but I'll be damned if I'm doing that. :P

So, what are you going to do ?
Political philosophy. xD

Latest

Trending

Trending