The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeah, mainly flash games on the internet.
Reply 581
Original post by bubblebird
yeah, mainly flash games on the internet.

Seems fine then. :gthumb:
Hello!

I'm terrible with technology.

I have a budget of £500, and I'm looking for a laptop to bring to uni. I'll be basically using it for studying, browsing, writing, listening to music/play DVDs. Would also like, maybe, to play games like Sims/WoW (that's made me sound really really ****ing sad hasn't it :emo:) ... but I'm guessing I don't need to buy a specific "gaming" laptop for that?

So I've been looking at the TSR laptop guide. I was wondering what, basically, differentiates between laptops under the same section? How do I know whether I'll need 3 or 4GB or RAM?

njseuihfwnajduwghienjsdvf

basically, i'm failing at this, because at the moment I'm judging laptops on how shiny they look :facepalm:

help?

EDIT: this looks good/cheap? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189889
Reply 585
Original post by spacepirate-James
Hello!

EDIT: this looks good/cheap? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189889

Any opinion on Asus laptops? That one is out of stock at the moment but I'm looking at this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/237739 - all I want is something for regular computing that's reliable and quiet - I won't ever be playing games on it or anything.

The only reason I am getting a new laptop is the battery has blown on my current one and it barely seems worth trying to find a new one when computers are so cheap now, and it's pretty old and the question mark key doesn't work!
Original post by somename
Any opinion on Asus laptops? That one is out of stock at the moment but I'm looking at this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/237739 - all I want is something for regular computing that's reliable and quiet - I won't ever be playing games on it or anything.

The only reason I am getting a new laptop is the battery has blown on my current one and it barely seems worth trying to find a new one when computers are so cheap now, and it's pretty old and the question mark key doesn't work!

I can't comment on Asus, due to never owning one, but I think these may be better laptops having compared the specs:-

Acer - Currys
Acer - Amazon
Dell

I'm going to purchase a laptop for around £400 in the next few days and it's going to be from on of the above. I just can't decide which :smile:
http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=XM667EA&experience=direct

hey guys what do you make of this laptop?
I need one which will let me "surf the net", add/view pictures, social networking, downloading music and playing games such as football manager
is it a good price, is the processor fast enough?
Does anyone have any idea on when Sandy Bridge processor laptops are going to start shipping.
Hi, I'm very close to buying an 15inch e-series vaio that will be roughly £620 to £650.

I'm torn between going for the sleek looking glossy version or the matte cover for the laptop
And also what resolution to go for, 1366x786 or 1920x1080. I'm worried the higher res will be too tiny.

What do you think?
What do you guys think of this, for the price?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/HP_Pavilion_DV6-3118sa_1041902.html
Reply 591
Okay guys,

I have a Vaio as of now. I am planning on getting a new laptop/Macbook. But before I come to a conclusion on what to get, I'd like to explore my options.

From the apple website I found out that the Macbook Pro 13" costs around 1099 Pounds. I will be coming there for Uni, so if I am eligible for the Apple student discount, how much would I get off.

If not Apple I was thinking of going into Dell or HP. I've had an HP laptop, besides one driver issue the laptop still works fine. I personally haven't used a Dell, so I'm not sure.

Also, can I get some sort of finance deal on the laptops. I hear that I would need to be in the country for 3 months in order to be eligible, what's the stand on this. I don't want to come there and wait around 3 months for a laptop. I'm coming for a 1 year course so you get the picture.

Please pour in your suggestions, the more opinions, the lucidity on my laptop issue would be strong.
Reply 592
Original post by jabed786
Hi, I'm very close to buying an 15inch e-series vaio that will be roughly £620 to £650.

I'm torn between going for the sleek looking glossy version or the matte cover for the laptop
And also what resolution to go for, 1366x786 or 1920x1080. I'm worried the higher res will be too tiny.

What do you think?

Vaio eh, hmmm Matt would be good. Though i might seem to be dull, it looks the same for a long time.

Also get the extended warranty. I had problems with my Vaio, but my friend who got it after me didn't. So getting the extended warranty would be good.

Both are HD resolutions. 1366x768 is more of a widescreen, I current have that one. Not sure about the 1920x1080
Can someone help me?
I'm looking for the cheapest possible lightweight 13" inch laptop. I want it for work, DVDs, music and photos and I'd like to be able to play the Sims 3 on it. I'm looking myself at the moment but I can't seem to use google properly when it comes to finding laptops! :rolleyes:
Original post by diamonddust

Original post by diamonddust
Can someone help me?
I'm looking for the cheapest possible lightweight 13" inch laptop. I want it for work, DVDs, music and photos and I'd like to be able to play the Sims 3 on it. I'm looking myself at the moment but I can't seem to use google properly when it comes to finding laptops! :rolleyes:

I'd go for this from Argos. Slightly bigger than you wanted, but 13" laptops are the point when the price really gets driven up, and you'd be looking to add about £50-£100 onto the budget to find one that could match that spec, and if you wanted to go £400 or lower you'd be limited to quite outdated machines. That aside, the one I've suggested isn't much bigger and a decent weight, and will fly through the tasks you're after. Plus it's got a great battery life.
What is the highest MP's of the built-in webcams and which laptops have 'em? :ninja:
Original post by futuredoc77

What is the highest MP's of the built-in webcams and which laptops have 'em? :ninja:

Integrated webcams are typically of a low quality, with the majority being 0.3-1.3 megapixels (Just using PC World as an example, 32 of their laptops have 1.3MP cams and 42 have 0.3MP cams, while only 11 have 2MP or higher). The best I've seen are in the new MacBook Pros, which record in 720p HD, although I can't find the exact resolution of the sensor anywhere. But if you want a real good quality webcam, you'll probably need to buy an external one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, macbooks have the best ones.
So 2MP is as high as it goes? :holmes: That's cool.

Also, you know that wierd thing some laptops do where they just go "back" a page randomly? Dell does it, so do some Toshiba ones? Is there any way to tell if that happens with a laptop when buying one online?

p.s: Thank you for your help :biggrin:
Yes, macbooks have the best ones.
So 2MP is as high as it goes? :holmes: That's cool.

Also, you know that wierd thing some laptops do where they just go "back" a page randomly? Dell does it, so do some Toshiba ones? Is there any way to tell if that happens with a laptop when buying one online?

p.s: Thank you for your help :biggrin:

As standard, yes. There's probably some high end notebooks with superior cameras from some manufacturers (Although looking through dell's site, their premium notebooks don't surpass the 1.3MP benchmark either), but for the most part 2MP is about as high as it gets.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of that glitch, if it happens across multiple manufacturers it sounds more like a problem with Windows, and I've been on a Mac for the last 6 months so won't have come across it =P It might just be a case of scouting around for reviews of any laptops you consider to see if it's a prevalent issue.

You're welcome [=
Aha, that does seem to be the case :beard:

I suppose so :erm: I doubt they'll mention in in the reviews, that's the problem.

Thanks anyway :hat2:

Latest

Trending

Trending