The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK
is there a reason why the accomodation is so expensive compared to other unis?

Second biggest city in the country?
Nice area?
It is a joke though.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
AlexMith
Finally made my mind up -

Tennis Courts
Mason
Maple Bank
Oakley Court

Scary stuff..

do you have to pick 4?
Reply 1982
do you have to pick 4?

You can pick 6 but I only chose 4.
I figured that if they guarantee every UG a hall then I'd narrow their scope on where I'll end up...as a gap year student I'm hoping I get my first choice anyway.
AlexMith
You can pick 6 but I only chose 4.
I figured that if they guarantee every UG a hall then I'd narrow their scope on where I'll end up...as a gap year student I'm hoping I get my first choice anyway.

oh...faiir doos
Reply 1984
oh...faiir doos

Got any ideas of where you're going to apply?
Prices are crazy all over the board..
Vale looks the best for freshers and Tennis Courts seemed the best value (still really expensive).
I do think the accommodation was really exspensive compared to so many other unis- but i suppose Bham is a really good city to be near.
Also i would say they accommodation i was in (shackleton) was far better than most ive seen at other unis, and ive looked at a fair few.
Ive not seen one with quite such a good and good sized living space atleast- ie. kitchen, with dining table, rather than a bar and sofa areas.
AlexMith
Got any ideas of where you're going to apply?
Prices are crazy all over the board..
Vale looks the best for freshers and Tennis Courts seemed the best value (still really expensive).

erm maple bank, aitken and tennis courts all catered as i can not cook anything...lol. I only really want maple bank as the rest will just rinse my money.
Also i dont really hear that much about aitken.... is it sociable, what are the facilities like etc ?
do you have to put anything in the additionall notes section?
Reply 1988
erm maple bank, aitken and tennis courts all catered as i can not cook anything...lol. I only really want maple bank as the rest will just rinse my money.
Also i dont really hear that much about aitken.... is it sociable, what are the facilities like etc ?

I can't cook ANYTHING but i decided now's probably a good time to learn..
Apparently you have to walk to Shackleton to get meals which would be a hike.
Reply 1989
Hi guys. I'll be an Erasmus student in Birmingham next school year. I've been checking some of the residences but I don't find what is really important to me, prices. I also want to share a room, is that possible? can anyone tell me about prices please?? Message me on my email, thank you!!
Reply 1990
Fresikas
Hi guys. I'll be an Erasmus student in Birmingham next school year. I've been checking some of the residences but I don't find what is really important to me, prices. I also want to share a room, is that possible? can anyone tell me about prices please?? Message me on my email, thank you!!

http://www.has.bham.ac.uk/studentaccom/documents/2010-11_Accommodation_details_and_fees_first_draft.pdf

Just put in my application :smile: ...

Mason (self-catered)
Elgar Court
Jarratt Hall (larger room :p:)
Mason (meal plan)
Shackleton
AlexMith
I can't cook ANYTHING but i decided now's probably a good time to learn..
Apparently you have to walk to Shackleton to get meals which would be a hike.

I couldn't cook at all before I came to uni - well I could make pasta, but that was pretty much it. my cooking has improved soooo much since I've been here! fortunately I have quite good flatmates who are handy in the kitchen, but just having to cook everyday has helped. there's no point being catered as you're going to have to cook for yourself at some point - you're just putting off the inevitable! walking to shack is annoying, especially if you live in TC.

also, as a general point, I've been hearing a lot of stuff about Hunter Court recently. apparently it's really nice (nicer than mason) but a lot cheaper. worth checking out? it's pretty close to the uni.
I agree the price is ridiculous, I'm limited by choice and I'm going means tested (although at the higher end). I don't see how you could manage on the basic loan. Some of the halls are as expensive as in London, yet we wouldn't get any extra money which is unfair.
jelly1000
I agree the price is ridiculous, I'm limited by choice and I'm going means tested (although at the higher end). I don't see how you could manage on the basic loan. Some of the halls are as expensive as in London, yet we wouldn't get any extra money which is unfair.

it's true, birmingham's pretty expensive in first year. but private housing in 2nd/3rd year etc is sooo much cheaper. for example, next year I'll be paying £58 a week including water, which is really good. my friend in london is paying £96.50 a week not including any bills.
Rosamund123
it's true, birmingham's pretty expensive in first year. but private housing in 2nd/3rd year etc is sooo much cheaper. for example, next year I'll be paying £58 a week including water, which is really good. my friend in london is paying £96.50 a week not including any bills.

from reading this thread , many people seem to think tennis courts is a very social accomodation.... how would you compare it to aitken and how far is aitken away from the main uni campus?
from reading this thread , many people seem to think tennis courts is a very social accomodation.... how would you compare it to aitken and how far is aitken away from the main uni campus?

honestly, I don't know, as I don't know anyone from aitken I'm afraid. it's the furthest from campus on the Valem so 15 - 20 minute walk? sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 1996
matt7
http://www.has.bham.ac.uk/studentaccom/documents/2010-11_Accommodation_details_and_fees_first_draft.pdf

Just put in my application :smile: ...

Mason (self-catered)
Elgar Court
Jarratt Hall (larger room :p:)
Mason (meal plan)
Shackleton

wow I checked prices...too expensive for me since my erasmus schoolarship won't be more than 200-400 euros and my parents can't give me more than 300 euros per month. I don't have any kind of schoolarship from the goverment either.I'm screwed up haha oh well, I think I'll get a private residence which I can share a room. you guys know if I got a room in an apartment, how expensive could the bills be per week? thank you^^
Fresikas
wow I checked prices...too expensive for me since my erasmus schoolarship won't be more than 200-400 euros and my parents can't give me more than 300 euros per month. I don't have any kind of schoolarship from the goverment either.I'm screwed up haha oh well, I think I'll get a private residence which I can share a room. you guys know if I got a room in an apartment, how expensive could the bills be per week? thank you^^

I'd say you could get a room for £60 a week, maybe £50 if you're willing to live further away from the uni/in not so nice accommodation. bills would be about £5 - 10 a week on top of that (£10 absolutely max).

if you have facebook, search for 'Guild SHAC' or 'We Love Selly Oak Housing', where you can see who needs housemates for next year/advertise yourself as needing a room :smile:
Reply 1998
Rosamund123
I'd say you could get a room for £60 a week, maybe £50 if you're willing to live further away from the uni/in not so nice accommodation. bills would be about £5 - 10 a week on top of that (£10 absolutely max).

if you have facebook, search for 'Guild SHAC' or 'We Love Selly Oak Housing', where you can see who needs housemates for next year/advertise yourself as needing a room :smile:

thank you^^ but I heard apartments in Selly Oak are very old? wow I was so scared with the price of the bills per week but now you told me it's around £5 - 10 a week I feel a lot better. I'll try to do that on facebook^^ and one more question please. you guys know if this information I got is right? a bonus for the bus, for zones A and B (Birmingham)+ C (Coventry)= around 50 pounds per month? buying one of those bonus for 3 months. Thank you :smile:
jelly1000

I agree, London unis say expenses are around £1000/month, and I think B'ham recommend £900-odd, whereas Sheffield recommend only £600. :lolwut:

Really doesn't add up.
Still, I'll be applying for insurance accommodation once I get my final response, seeing as it's my only lower offer. Not that I have a clue what I'm applying for, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending